Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Verizon and AT&T have added programs that allow customers to get a new phone every year. Due to these programs the ability to upgrade early is no longer an option for those in traditional 2 year contracts.

My question is do you think Verizon and AT&T will break and allow loyal customers to upgrade 1, 2, or 3 months early (Some rumors are saying as early as June for the iPhone 6)?

Since the iPhone 5 was released in Mid September 2012, anyone who owns an iPhone 5 on contract will have to wait till September 2014 to upgrade. I can imagine this will cause an issue if the iPhone 6 is released earlier then September.

Personally I would not enroll in the Next plan from AT&T (my provider for the last 8 years). I do not want to pay $600 for a phone I won't own at the end. I also do not want a new phone every year. I can wait the 2 years but if a new numbered (iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6) iPhone is released early I do want to have the opportunity to buy it at no penalty.

Please refrain from the " you signed a 2 year contract honor it" answers. I don't think I'm asking for much if Im looking to leave my contract 1-3 months early to sign a new 2 year contract, which in my case, has led to an 8 year history with the same company.

Thanks!

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
You do own the phone with Next once it's paid off, which you can do at any time.

easy-peasy

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2014
My question is do you think Verizon and AT&T will break and allow loyal customers to upgrade 1, 2, or 3 months early?

I sure hope they don't. Consumers that act spoiled give the rest of us a bad name.

Since the iPhone 5 was released in Mid September 2012, anyone who owns an iPhone 5 on contract will have to wait till September 2014 to upgrade. I can imagine this will cause an issue if the iPhone 6 is released earlier then September.

Waiting a few months to get what you want isn't a big deal. True adults do it all the time.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Besides mastering the skill of waiting, are labeling and being judgmental also traits of "true adults".

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
My contract isn't up until October because I didn't preorder my 5 and took that long to get one. So I'm good I guess regardless.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Even those under contract can upgrade their iPhone by paying full retail for a new one. Plenty of people do. Once carriers eliminate the subsidy, which is essentially a give away--that's what I'll do. Though innovation had slowed to the point that I doubt I'll need to buy a new phone every year.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Personally I would not enroll in the Next plan from AT&T (my provider for the last 8 years). I do not want to pay $600 for a phone I won't own at the end. I also do not want a new phone every year. I can wait the 2 years but if a new numbered (iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 6) iPhone is released early I do want to have the opportunity to buy it at no penalty.

It sounds like you don't understand how Next works.

If you buy a $650 model, you pay 20 monthly payments of $32.50. This adds up to $650 and you own the phone after 20 months(or less if you pay it off early).

If you choose to trade in after 12 months, you've paid $390 toward the phone. You'll be obligated to trade the phone in, or cough up $260 to pay it off(and then it's yours).

Personally, I don't need a new phone every year or even every two years. I've switched to AT&Ts new Shared data plan which is $40 less than what I was paying previously for 2 lines. Now every month I don't upgrade is additional money in my pocket.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Not everyone is in need of having a new phone every year or as soon as it comes out. I got the iPhone 5 and if the iPhone 6 comes earlier than September, I'm still waiting until September regardless. I'm a very patient person. My phone works fine, I don't need to buy the 6 as SOON as it comes out, I could wait. And I don't think it's going to affect the carriers in any way. Either way, people will still use them to get their phones and it's not up to them whether or not a person decides to upgrade. It all depends on the user and how much money they're willing to spend to get the latest and greatest.

mikeyiphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
AT&T is trying to get people to switch to Next so no they won't let you upgrade early. They will let you know that you can upgrade on Next.

This is what i think they will do as well. If thats the case it makes sense to wait the 1-3 months.

I do have a feeling this phone will be released earlier then the previous models. Too many rumors and possible leak photos are appearing this early in the year.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
This is what i think they will do as well. If thats the case it makes sense to wait the 1-3 months.

I do have a feeling this phone will be released earlier then the previous models. Too many rumors and possible leak photos are appearing this early in the year.

at the end of the day, carriers will scramble and push customers to upgrade because iPhone 6 is going to be the "biggest deal yet" for customers and carriers.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
For this reason only I don't think Apple would release the phone any earlier. If they did, a lot of people would wait. Some of those people would lose interest because the buzz will have worn off some. That could potentially effect sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.