Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
That was unexpected…..

Apple has always been run by perfectionists, and if they had wanted to make an exception in licensing their OS, Sony would have been a logical choice. Even while we don't have Blu-ray on Macs, when the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war was raging, SJ was an early backer of Sony's Blu-ray.

…..It would've been really funny if he had wanted it on a Samsung laptop.

Somehow I can't imagine that, considering the huge philosophical difference in outlook between Sony and Samsung.

Last edited:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Sony IS kind of like Apple gone wrong if you think about it.
This is a pretty good analogy, I'd say. Sony, at one point, was a company that made high-end but not exclusionary, beautifully designed, easy-to-use, category-defining products that a lot of people bought and loved. They seemed to really care about what they were building and how it worked.

Then at some point--due to a combination of getting fat and lazy, mismanagement, and letting the media guys dictate how the hardware should work--the company turned into a parody of its former self, and has become one of the most hostile to its own customers I can think of.

It's kind of like Apple, if Apple had reached the Sculley/Amelio stage in the post-iPod era.

ControlC

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Vaio is actually pretty good as a laptop, for a Windows machine.

They're pretty sleek and have high-end hardware, but they're really expensive, sometimes more expensive than comparable Macs. Sony is in the unfortunate position of being kinda special like Apple but still having to conform to Microsoft standards, so they end up making stuff that isn't really compatible with anything.

----------

Sony IS kind of like Apple gone wrong if you think about it. The Walkman was the iPod of its day, and they've always had gorgous industrial design. In a perfect world, they'd have made a great fit with Apple, back in the day.

I think of Sony as the Apple of the 90s. Even Nintendo seems somewhat Apple-like. And Apple could easily cease to be a leader in a few years. Without Jobs, it's looking likely :(

----------

Meh, I'd take something else over a VAIO laptop. VAIOs are too pricey for what they do other than looking great. And I'd never, ever buy a VAIO desktop.

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
I love the posters in this thread calling BS, when the source is people who were actually there at the time.

Vaio has Blu-Ray

I considered a Vaio for the Blu-Ray drive as I liked to travel with a laptop and movie media. Had it not been for my disdain of Wimdows I may have purchased a Vaio with OS X. Having an external LaCie Blu-Ray drive and the convoluted ripping process of Blu-Ray Disks is annoying on my MacBook Pro. Not to mention the money I wasted on buying MacGo Blu-Ray player App.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I call ******** on that.

Well then you dont know ****.

Steve has always liked Sonys design language. He also used a Vaio Laptop when he came back to Apple because he thought Apples products were inferior then.

Also look at the macbook air introduction. He compared it to a Sony Vaio Laptop calling it the best and thinnest in the pc (Windows) market.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Back then the mainstream OS X was still running on PPC. I remember there were lots of posts from folks here giving all kinds of technical reasons why OS X could never physically run on x86 PCs.

Then came speculation that OS X could maybe run on an x86, in theory, but Apple would never let that happen because it was a huge step backwards, how superior the G5 chip was, and boy, once that PowerBook G5 came out (yeah, I went there :D ) how it would smoke the Intel Centrino competition.

Then came the rumors that, indeed, not only was OS X on intel possible, but it was already working and a full on switch was going to happen. And again, lots of naysayers.

Yet here we are...

So I've learned to never say never.

What are your thoughts on OS X on ARM?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Well then you dont know ****.

Steve has always liked Sonys design language. He also used a Vaio Laptop when he came back to Apple because he thought Apples products were inferior then.

Also look at the macbook air introduction. He compared it to a Sony Vaio Laptop calling it the best and thinnest in the pc (Windows) market.

... and, aside from Jobs' enthusiasm for Sony, Apple had already worked with Sony on the design of the Powerbook 100. Considering that the powerbook range probably kept Apple afloat through the 90s, and that subsequently pretty much every other laptop adopted the Powerbook design (set-back keyboard, pointing device in the middle of a broad wrist-rest), that turned out pretty well.

So if Apple were thinking of making an Intel laptop then its really not so weird that they'd at least think of working with Sony - and this was all pre-iPod, so Apple and Sony weren't arch-rivals in the music biz at that stage.

Perhaps Jobs, in his usual shy, modest and unambitious way, was thinking that Sony might "acquire" Apple (in the same way that Apple "acquired" NeXT and Disney "acquired" Pixar)?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I call ******** on that.

Guess who built the Powerbook 100 computer.

----------

This is a pretty good analogy, I'd say. Sony, at one point, was a company that made high-end but not exclusionary, beautifully designed, easy-to-use, category-defining products that a lot of people bought and loved. They seemed to really care about what they were building and how it worked.

Their best device _ever_ (not a product) was the world's smallest record player. They took a toy model of a Volkswagen bus, installed the pickup needle at the bottom, made a speaker that looked like a satellite dish on the roof, added a motor to actually drive it and some electronics. You put an LP on the table, set the toy on it, and off it went, playing the music.

----------

except it was 2001, Samsung was not the Samsung of today.

About that time they just received a $100 million loan from Apple, for developing LCD screens.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
What are your thoughts on OS X on ARM?

It's certainly technically possible. ARM chips are getting more and more powerful now -- the Geekbench scores from the latest iPad and iPhone are comparable to a MacBook Pro from a few years ago. That's surely oversimplifying things, but they are getting pretty capable.

Windows RT is an interesting example. From my understanding this is basically just regular Windows 8 but recompiled for ARM. Windows RT ships with a default (and non-changeable) setting to only allow Microsoft-signed code (e.g. from their App Store), but there is a jailbreak which allows you to change that setting to allow you to run any code. Then, apparently all it takes for anyone to get any Windows software running on a Windows RT machine is a recompile. There is a growing library of software for the Windows RT jailbreak community. Apparently Office for RT is also basically a recompiled version of regular Office.

I would imagine that it would be similarly easy for Apple to build full desktop OS X and desktop apps that could run on ARM devices. I expect there would be usability, performance, or other user-friendliness issues to solve (any kind of ARM based OS X machine would feel slower than a regular Mac, and that might be perceived poorly -- not to mention needing two versions of apps, or the return of universal binaries).

On the other hand, intel is getting more and more mobile-friendly, so maybe this is all moot.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
"Most of Sony's executives spends their winter vacation in Hawaii and play golf after celebrating new year."

...withdraws application... LOL

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
He also used a Vaio Laptop when he came back to Apple because he thought Apples products were inferior then.

Maybe this is true, but do you have a source?

I heard he used a Toshiba Tecra.

"He was in the corner, typing on his Next computer. Steve relied on three computers, and none of them was a Macintosh. He had black Next machines at his home and office and a Toshiba Tecra as his notebook."

http://www.salon.com/2000/10/11/jobs_excerpt/

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
the high end vaios are great.

before geting my rmbp was a fight between the vaiop and rmbp.

rmbp won because it was slightly cheaper.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Vaio is actually pretty good as a laptop, for a Windows machine.

I remember using an earlier Japan market Vaio long before they became mainstream elsewhere. They were a classy laptop.

Then I got my own one in 2006. The thing still runs well and looks a treat.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
the high end vaios are great.

before geting my rmbp was a fight between the vaiop and rmbp.

rmbp won because it was slightly cheaper.

lol never thought someone would say that about a macbook compared to a windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.