Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Actually, Ming-Chi Kuo has a much better track record than most analysts; I would not dismiss this report.
No, he doesn't. He makes a lot more predictions than most analysts, revising them nearly weekly. When you release that many predictions, some of them are bound to come true. In his case, the ones that do are ones anyone could have predicted (new iPad with A7 fall 2013). The ones that are unique to him almost always fail (there will be no iPad 4 restart, Apple has never started marketing a discontinued product and never will. The fact that he believes that shows he's out in left field).

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I can't see Apple waiting until 2015 to ship a new rMini. The competition is too intense right now.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I start to wonder if the rumours of a 12.9 inch iPad are based on sourcing screens for a 13.x inch Retina MBA with a thin screen bevel.

Now your talking...

This report gives me even more hope that the new screen size we've been hearing about is for a new retina MBA in size of the current 11" MBA. That would be awesome!

I'm ready to order one, on the spot, as soon as it is released!

I just hope there are BTO options for at least 8G RAM and 512GB SSD (16G and 1T would be even better but unrealistic...I'd be willing to pay an extra $2K for those options but there aren't enough people like me for it to be worth Apple offering that)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hopefully the iPad Air S can open more than 3 tabs without reloading constantly. It will probably get 2GB of RAM and iOS 8 will fix all of the bugs in iOS 7 since it was rushed to market not quite ready for prime time.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Ive been saying for a while that people are confusing ipad pro rumors with (the same analyst) 12" rmbp rumors. Macbook airs cant handle retina sorry. No technology coming out in 2014 will allow that. Maybe after broadwell.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
True, but that's how they produce these monster profits and margins. Selling outdated spec for a premium (thanks to a nice finish on the body, aluminum). Sometimes they use low quality parts such as the faulty MBPr displays.

So basically you're saying people who buy Apple products are stupid.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Ive been saying for a while that people are confusing ipad pro rumors with (the same analyst) 12" rmbp rumors. Macbook airs cant handle retina sorry. No technology coming out in 2014 will allow that. Maybe after broadwell.

Which will come out in 2014...

(Although I'd love a 12" MBP...then it wouldn't have to be price conscience as Apple has turned the MBA into 'budget' line of notebook computers)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No, he doesn't. He makes a lot more predictions than most analysts, revising them nearly weekly. When you release that many predictions, some of them are bound to come true. In his case, the ones that do are ones anyone could have predicted (new iPad with A7 fall 2013). The ones that are unique to him almost always fail (there will be no iPad 4 restart, Apple has never started marketing a discontinued product and never will. The fact that he believes that shows he's out in left field).

What would be the point of bringing back the 4th gen iPad anyway?

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Which will come out in 2014...

(Although I'd love a 12" MBP assuming the footprint matched the 11" MBA...then it wouldn't have to be so price conscience as Apple has turned the originally 'elite' MBA into a 'budget' line of notebook computers)

Sappharad

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
I may have missed this, but is the mock up supposed to be accurate?

The 13-inch macbook air that is pictured in the mock-up is supposed to have a 13.3 inch screen. So why does a 12.9 inch iPad have a screen that is clearly larger than the 13 inch macbook that it's sitting next to?

Is the article incorrect, is the mock-up showing an 11-inch macbook air?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Hopefully the iPad Air S can open more than 3 tabs without reloading constantly. It will probably get 2GB of RAM and iOS 8 will fix all of the bugs in iOS 7 since it was rushed to market not quite ready for prime time.

Wait... you have a problem with Safari tabs reloading?

I've never heard you say that before...

;)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I don't even know why we listen to analysts. They make the same guess you and I would from knowledge on nothing more than reading websites I am sure. Whatever happened to Apple failing in 2014 and the Galaxy S4 selling so greatly. Neither happened. And in my opinion this guy is unreliable and just takes a shot in the dark guesses pretty much all the time. 50% of the time he's right. Which isn't hard. Here I'll make a few guesses. Apple will release the iPhone 6 with a 5 or slightly smaller screen and compete in the phablet market this year with a no bigger than 5.5 inch screen. Also do not expect an "iWatch" this year. Lastly I am thinking there will not be an iPad 4 rerelease considering there is an iPad mini non retina available for $299. There you go more reliable guesses from some one who is not a professional analyst but most likely will be right with more than 75% of them. The iWatch is my most shaky guess.

I haven't done any real math, but Kuo seems to be correct about 95% of the time. And he's made predictions in the past that most people haven't thought of and they turned out to be correct.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What does he predict that most of us here haven't predicted ourselves? An updated iPad with A8? Wow, that's really going out on a limb there.

see the responses

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1624767/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1362115/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1381818/

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15042850/
In future, I'm going to pay attention to all rumors from Kuo, who predicted a result most posters here and the MacRumors staff thought was fairly improbable. And yet we now have three lines of Macbook pro, temporarily according to Kuo. Hindsight is always 20 20, but looking at the results of predictions about WWDC it pays to separate the Digitimes from the Kuos in terms of reliability.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I love iPads, my iPad 4 is in my top 5 of favourite gadgets ever. It is a beautifully evolved machine, everything balanced and robust quality build.

I'm hoping the iPad Air 2 will be too. To me the first Air isn't balanced (1gb ram etc) and is an inbetween product like the iPad 3.

I don't think of iPads as computers although I do a lot of professional work on my iPad, I still need the computers in my sig, iPads are better at some things for what I do, and computers better at others.

I don't care about the fingerprint sensor thing, my wish list for the Air 2, which for me would make it a more 'pro' tool, is:

2GB ram to balance the 64bit and the more demanding apps that will come and the perhaps more demanding display

And, with IOS8, some sort of file system, something simple and streamlined, not full OSX type, and either USB or card slot for non-cloud non-Internet backup on the go.

hardly rocket science, come on apple, don't turn the iPad into a computer, just these little things would be great.

How realistic is my wish list?

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I love iPads, my iPad 4 is in my top 5 of favourite gadgets ever. It is a beautifully evolved machine, everything balanced and robust quality build.

I'm hoping the iPad Air 2 will be too. To me the first Air isn't balanced (1gb ram etc) and is an inbetween product like the iPad 3.

I don't think of iPads as computers although I do a lot of professional work on my iPad, I still need the computers in my sig, iPads are better at some things for what I do, and computers better at others.

I don't care about the fingerprint sensor thing, my wish list for the Air 2, which for me would make it a more 'pro' tool, is:

2GB ram to balance the 64bit and the more demanding apps that will come and the perhaps more demanding display

And, with IOS8, some sort of file system, something simple and streamlined, not full OSX type, and either USB or card slot for non-cloud non-Internet backup on the go.

hardly rocket science, come on apple, don't turn the iPad into a computer, just these little things would be great.

How realistic is my wish list?

I think 2 gigs of ram is a given with the new release of the iPad Air and eventually the Ipad Mini with Retina 2. I just can't see Apple doing a basic version of a file system, even if I can see the benefits of developing one. It's on my wishlist too, I just don't know if our wish will be fulfilled.

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
I haven't done any real math, but Kuo seems to be correct about 95% of the time. And he's made predictions in the past that most people haven't thought of and they turned out to be correct.

I want you to remember my prediction. there will be no iPad 4 rerelease. There is no reason to replace an iPad 2 with a cheap alternative iPad since the iPad mini non retina covers that. This analyst is not right 95% of the time and most of his predictions are common sense predictions almost every single time which have already been assumed. The ones he thinks of all on his own usually never ever pan out.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Unlike the iPhone which could use a bigger screen, there really isn't much more the iPad Air needs. It's pretty close to perfect in my opinion. Touch ID would be a decent convenience addition, but not earth shattering.

I think we're approaching a point where the hardware is about as good as it can get and it's up to the software to keep things interesting. Still so much more that can be done with iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.