Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaddster

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
liverpool, england
I have just ordered an ipad air and 2 happy years with my ipad 2.. I'm handing it over to my younger daughter and girlfriend HOWEVER I'm not sure whether to:-

1. Reset the ipad ( but how do I transfer the apps/games I bought for my daughter)

2. Just delete all the apps off the ipad 2 and keep the ipad under my settings.

Anybody got any suggestions.?

xxstatic

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Just back up your apps in iTunes, then factory reset the 2.

I added all of my apps back after selling my 2 a few years ago, just got the air, set it up and synced in iTunes...boom I'm back!

Oh, just saw you have your daughters apps as well, maybe then just delete your apps and keep it set up for her?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
It sounds like you should erase everything on the iPad, then re-install the apps you want to put on the device. You only want your daughter to have certain things, and those can be put back onto the iPad after you erase. If you erase things one-at-a-time, who knows what you'll forget to erase?

1) Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings This cleans-out everything. After you do that, the iPad will go into setup mode, like a brand-new iPad. (Have your Wi-Fi password handy.) You'll be asked if you want to setup as new, or restore from a backup. Set the iPad up as a new device.

2) As part of setup you'll be asked to sign into iTunes - do it, using your current account.

3) Go to App Store > Updates > Purchased, then re-download the apps you want to put on the iPad (iTunes and the App Store allow you to put the same music and apps on up to 10 iOS devices and computers). For music, go to iTunes Store > More... > Purchased

You have a variety of options after that. You might want to consider setting up Restrictions (parental controls): Settings > General > Restrictions

You might setup a new Apple ID for that iPad, so that your daughter can have her own iCloud, FaceTime, and iMessage identity (it also gives her a full 5gb of iCloud space for backup).

For iTunes & App Store, you may want to use your current account (you can use one account for iTunes and App Store, a different one for iCloud). That way you won't end up paying twice for some purchased items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.