Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's interest in vehicle and medical integration for its products is well-known, but a new report from the San Francisco Chronicle claims some new details on both fronts, including word that Apple may have explored a potential purchase of electric car manufacturer Tesla last year.

The specific claim that Apple was considering a purchase of Tesla seems to be primarily speculation, but the report notes that Apple's head of acquisitions Adrian Perica met with Tesla CEO Elon Musk early last year. According to the report's source, Apple CEO Tim Cook was probably also involved in the meeting.
In October 2013, German investment banking analyst Adnaan Ahmad created a media stir when he wrote an "open letter" to Apple CEO Tim Cook and board director Al Gore, urging the company to acquire Tesla. [...]

Six months before Ahmad's letter, Musk met with Perica and probably Cook at Apple headquarters, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to protect business relationships. While a megadeal has yet to emerge (for all of its cash, Apple still plays hardball on valuation), such a high-level meeting between the two Silicon Valley giants involving their top dealmakers suggests Apple was very much interested in buying the electric car pioneer.
One analyst suggests that discussion of a deal to integrate iOS devices with Tesla cars may have been a much more likely topic for the meeting, but it is unclear why such a discussion would directly involve Musk and Apple's acquisitions chief.

tesla_model_s.jpg
On a separate note, the report claims that Apple's interest in medical functions, rumored to be linked to its iWatch initiative, includes an innovative effort to predict heart attacks using audio sensors. That effort is reportedly led by Tomlinson Holman, the audio pioneer behind the THX sound standard who joined Apple in 2011.
Though Apple has never confirmed it, the company hired Holman in 2011 to "provide audio direction," according to his LinkedIn profile. At the time, observers assumed Holman would focus his efforts on boosting the audio quality of MacBooks and iPhones.

But under Holman, Apple is exploring ways to measure noise "turbulence" as it applies to blood flow. The company wants to develop software and sensors that can predict heart attacks by identifying the sound blood makes as it tries to move through an artery clogged with plaque, the source said.
The report also points to Apple patents covering heart-related biometrics such as the ability to authenticate a device based on a user's unique heart rhythm.

Apple's iWatch has been rumored to include an array of sensors for monitoring a wide variety of health-related statistics, and reports have indicated that the device could arrive later this year.

Article Link: Apple May Have Considered Purchasing Tesla, Researching Audio to Predict Heart Attacks

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
If the iWatch can predict heart attacks then this will be as big, if not bigger, than iPhone and iPad!

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
I don't believe they met to talk about iOS integration because if that was the case then Tesla would have got it working by now. As it is today (Tesla firmware version 5.8.7) you can't plug in an iOS device through USB to play music... :mad:

I hope they fix this with the pending version 6.0

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
I'm picturing a Tesla charging through a lightning connector off a MacBook Air. :D

The Magic Trackpad for steering takes some getting used to.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Apple could also simply buy a stake in Tesla to get access to technology and engineering expertise to help Apple in it efforts to integrate iOS into automobiles. That would give Apple a testbed to determine how best to integrate iOS as well a show to build the associated diagnostic equipment using Apple products. Tesla is small enough and less likely to take a NIH approach as well as being a high profile showcase for technology to be an attractive partner.

In a much more speculative vein, Apple stores could become Tesla dealerships in select locations; circumventing existing manufacturers' dealerships efforts to keep tesla out of their home markets.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Analysts predict that Tesla cars are going to be expensive in the near future.
Actually, Tesla is working on a mid-range sedan to compete with the BMW 3 Series, with a target MSRP of about $40K. I test-drove a Tesla and it is pretty cool, but it's still a rich-person's toy right now. Could not get a straight answer out of them regarding leasing, it's almost like you have to buy stock in the company to acquire a car....

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Once again, MacSpeculation, first with all the news that may or may not have possibly happened in a baseless, third-hand kind of way.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've always said that if Apple made a car, it'd be a Tesla.

IDK if I would like it or not if Apple bought Tesla... I feel like a merged company would lose focus and not do anything particularly well anymore. I'd definitely be interested in seeing them work on integrating their products together.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dam uper-class people.. :p

This looks like a fancy car, and fancy house....

No normal person lives like that do they ? and if they do, then they have too much money ...

Give some to me.. :)

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
it's still a rich-person's toy right now

Sorry, but I don't know what you base this statement on? I'm taking delivery of a Model S in April and it will be my only car. I have a wife and three kids, it's not a "toy".

I agree the car is not cheap, but the total cost of ownership is very low, in fact the net monthly cost comes out about the same as the Volvo it's replacing.

I'm buying mine with a financial lease... I could operationally lease it too if I wanted...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple could also simply buy a stake in Tesla to get access to technology and engineering expertise to help Apple in it efforts to integrate iOS into automobiles.

WTF? Do you think Tesla has any particular experience in integrating media players into automobiles?

----------

IDK if I would like it or not if Apple bought Tesla... I feel like a merged company would lose focus and not do anything particularly well anymore. I'd definitely be interested in seeing them work on integrating their products together.

It wouldn't be a "merged company". Tesla revenue is about the order of magnitude of iPods. But the whole idea is totally ridiculous.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
WTF? Do you think Tesla has any particular experience in integrating media players into automobiles?

----------

It wouldn't be a "merged company". Tesla revenue is about the order of magnitude of iPods. But the whole idea is totally ridiculous.

Agreed, Tesla may not even exist in a few years as they proved to be incapable to produce mass produced car. Funny, Tesla exhausted US market, you know the biggest in the entire world, if not universe ;-), with just 50,000 cars and now hopping international markets will keep its "yuppy" 100K+ cars sales going for a year or so. Good Luck Tesla! you really need it.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Tesla's too expensive but there are some other promising alternatives. Byd is a bit cheaper and although completely dismissed by Musk as a joke just a couple of years ago, is catching up fast. Detroit Electric / Geely also look they could be a serious contender in a few years' time. Both are well placed in China and have global distribution.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm picturing a Tesla charging through a lightning connector off a MacBook Air. :D

The Magic Trackpad for steering takes some getting used to.

It's a little easier once you've got the hang of the multitouch gestures. Simply swipe right with seven fingers whilst tapping the thumb on the left-hand side of the trackpad, and the car will turn right. Swipe with three fingers horizontally to change gears. Swipe with two fingers horizontally to apply the handbrake.

It's highly intuitive and there's no chance anything could go wrong.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's silly season and probably will be until WWDC. Then when Apple announces stuff that doesn't match fantasy land everyone will be disappointed because Apple didn't announce a cure for cancer.

----------

Tesla is the biggest hype job in automotive history.

Tesla stock one year return is 430%. Hype indeed.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
The famous 1984 TV ad becomes more and more ironic.

Will you lot just please overthrow the government if you feel that strongly about it instead of uselessly venting in front of everyone on the internet?

Jeez I've had it with NSA/Big Brother is watching/1984 comments, do something about it already!

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It's funny how many people are focusing on the Tesla part of this article, while the second half says that Apple is looking into preventing heart attacks. That's kind of a huge deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.