Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tocheeba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I'm new to the whole OSX administration scene, and I'm deploying 100 machines into our K-12 environment. I know that xcode and PackageMaker are advanced tools I probably don't have the knowledge for, but I've seen some guides that use PackageMaker to setup a MS Office distribution. However, I simply can't find the package maker download. I'm looking in the right spot, but there are no auxiliary tools on the site. Is this only for paid developers? Is that the reason I'm not seeing it?

Sorry for the noob question, but I've been googling this for the past 2 hours and have given up.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I would suggest finding an alternate solution to PackageMaker ASAP. As of XCode 4.6 PackageMaker was official deprecated, so don't expect it to be around much longer.

tocheeba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the link - but that's the same one that I've been searching at, and the auxiliary tools are no where in sight there. I'm just trying to find some sort of program that will allow packaging of apps for post-imaging deployment. PackageMaker was one of those suggested on multiple sites, but I can't find the auxiliary tools on the alternative developer download site.

szymczyk

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2006
What version of OS X are you running?

If you're running 10.6 or earlier, PackageMaker comes with Xcode. Installing Xcode installs PackageMaker. The OS X install disc contains an installer for Xcode, or you can download an older version of Xcode from the developer downloads site. Xcode 3.2.x works on 10.6. Xcode 3.1.x works on 10.5. Xcode 2.x works on 10.4.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Post-imaging deployment? Have you checked out DeployStudio? Also Packages and Iceberg are a couple other package creation utilities. There is also the commercial Composer from JAMF. As for the PackageMaker download, head over to Apple's Developer downloads site and search for 'Auxiliary Tools for Xcode'; I'd suggest going for the August 2012 release, the exact filename you're looking for is 'xcode44auxtools6938114a.dmg'

Last edited:

tocheeba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
We're using Dell KACE for post imaging deployment. We're mainly a Windows environment (K-12 so funds are limited). The auxiliary tools doesn't exist on that page - I've searched for everything, browsed the pages one by one and it's not there. We're on the latest OS version right now.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
We're using Dell KACE for post imaging deployment. We're mainly a Windows environment (K-12 so funds are limited). The auxiliary tools doesn't exist on that page - I've searched for everything, browsed the pages one by one and it's not there. We're on the latest OS version right now.

Not sure what's going on then. The dmg is definitely there; I just downloaded it.

Edit:
Here you go. Be sure to download this by 13:30 EST; I'm going to be deleting it after that point.

Alice2020

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2013
Looking for Packagemaker

Hi,

I am looking for PackageMaker to run on a Mountain Lion machine. I have checked the Apple Developer page and downloaded Auxillary Tools, but it doesn't seem to be included in that anymore. Anyone know if PackageMaker is still available?

I am trying to package a .dmg file so I can push it out to multiple machines and install behind the scenes.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated!
Thanks!

tcpms

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
reinstall?

Will download from this site do a re-install of packagemaker (and other tools)?

Current copy of PackageMaker no longer works and gives an error during the last step:
'could not copy resources to en.lproj'
This occurs whatever I'm trying to package - even a single text file.

I'm on 10.7.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.