Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
Hi there,

I'm still struggling with my calibrated monitor profile that I created with my Xrite Colormunki for my NEC 271w.

It should really be straight forward in that I select the .icc profile once and it sticks. Well, it doesn't really. Any time the monitor goes to sleep and then comes back up it seems the Mac is going through 2 or 3 different profile settings first before settling back on the one I created.

Why is that? And why can't I get rid of the other system default profile? I've now even tried to change the settings in root so that they load right at log in.

Still does this weird scanning through a few profiles first.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Isn't that a PA271W? A monitor so perfectly calibrated in the factory?
Just select Adobe RGB or sRGB as system profile (those will stick), and set the monitor on the same preset. Sell the Xrite and get some beers.

rndman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013
Hi there,

I'm still struggling with my calibrated monitor profile that I created with my Xrite Colormunki for my NEC 271w.

It should really be straight forward in that I select the .icc profile once and it sticks. Well, it doesn't really. Any time the monitor goes to sleep and then comes back up it seems the Mac is going through 2 or 3 different profile settings first before settling back on the one I created.

Why is that? And why can't I get rid of the other system default profile? I've now even tried to change the settings in root so that they load right at log in.

Still does this weird scanning through a few profiles first.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#n

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US

I'm familiar with that. But that doesn't solve the problem. I know how to create or download nice profiles.

What irritates me is that the Mac and/or the monitor hop through a bunch of display settings/profiles before they (hopefully) settle on the one that I've chosen as my default.

And no, the monitor's default profiles are not very usable for photo editing. Just like everything else today (another stupid trend I believe started by Apple) those are way to bright. And colors in the aRGB profile are actually way off compared to my calibrated icc profile.

So I'm happy with my profiles - just not with the way they don't really stick always. And again, I'm not sure if that is an OS problem, the monitor hardware itself or a combination thereof.

I've tried deleting everything else and even set the one profile I like most as the default in root.

Still, anytime the monitor goes into power safe mode and comes back it cycles through three or four profiles (or whatever settings).

And I suspect it's a Mac/Mavericks thing. Never had this on my Windows PC with a different NEC monitor.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I don't know what you do, but I can set all brightness levels on the built in presets. That's the good thing about it. The profile remains correct no matter what brightness you pick with it.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 11, 2012
North East US
I don't know what you do, but I can set all brightness levels on the built in presets. That's the good thing about it. The profile remains correct no matter what brightness you pick with it.

Can you talk me through how you set everything up? I'm obviously doing somethings wrong.

I've set the brightness levels now to 153 (still high for photography but seem like a good compromise).

And I'm using only one profile now that I've created with the Xrite Colormunki. All software confirms that that's the one being active (Colormunki tray, ColorSync Utility, monitor/color settings in system, NEC Multiprofiler). The only thing running in the background at start up is the xrite tray software (which is really just there to confirm a profile has been applied).

I put my profile also in the profile folder under Root so it should be loading right at startup.

Like I said, it work just fine. What's weird is that it seems the monitor and/or PS hops through a few profiles or settings when coming back up from power save.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.