Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwoodward

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
Not trying to advocate for Samsung, but wouldn't Samsung have made a 64 bit chip by now since they are the ones making the A7 chip and obviously had to know in advance apple would be creating the first 64 bit chip. So I am not overly worried about Samsung coping the A8, I just want the supplier manufacturing making it whomever it may be.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
What if I told you that, currently, Apple copies more than others?

It's Apple that should be afraid of not knowing what Samsung and Google are going to do.

Have you seen iOS 7? I'd count how many parts of that OS is a copy of Android, but it'd be a waste of my time.

Prepare for true Apple fans to bash you with their "facts".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I'd ask you for evidence.

Hmmmm but only a few apps are even using the A7 chips full potential. So why even talk about the A8 chip?

Many apps that used 20% of the A6's full potential now use 10% of the A7's full potential. That's a massive energy saving and gives you more battery life.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012

It's Apple that should be afraid of not knowing what Samsung and Google are going to do.

Have you seen iOS 7? I'd count how many parts of that OS is a copy of Android, but it'd be a waste of my time.

It doesn't matter, does it? Tomorrow we might die, who cares about who copies who.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
They have horrible quality control, that's for sure

Have to agree. I see a wafer with a bunch of defective chips (the black ones). Not the image to push.

Doesn't the logo sort of imply that they have good quality control? Having defects is currently unavoidable on cutting edge processes, but identifying the defects on the wafer is actually part of quality control. ;)

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
"A8" is not a very good sounding name.

Audi would disagree with you:D They've made a fair penny with the "A" series. They've had A1-8.

Yeah, terrible name for something :confused:

audi-a8-live-miami_-(3)_opt.jpg

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
mayve

There's "supposed" to be an NDA between Samsung Manufacturing and Samsung Electronics. But we now all know from Samsung's Senior Management that "everything leaks."

Maybe. But Samsung senior management seemed to be mightily surprised by the fact that the chips they were making were 64-bit.

It seems that that didn't leak, so maybe things aren't quite the sieve that was supposed.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
Serious question. How does Samsung know what Apple is going to make? Are you implying that Apple, when sending over component requests, also include a file with their product roadmap? Or is Samsung able to figure out Apple's product information based on the specs of the components?

Genuinely curious.

Hey, can you supply 35 Million 5.5" retina displays a quarter starting with samples in March '14 and full production by May?

Also, can you build us 35 Million A8 processors? The schematics are attached.

Oh, and please quote 2GB of RAM at the same quantities.

I'm sure Apple obfuscates this as much as possible leaving competing products or specs as long as possible, but at some point they put in a build order and that is a raw information lead over the competitors. Sure Samsung says they have a firewall, but they don't even respect legal ones with regard to Apple, why would a self imposed one mean anything to them?

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
... the conspiracy.

Samsung is doing it on purpose, to make Apple devices suffer failure rates higher than theirs.. ;)

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
Maybe. But Samsung senior management seemed to be mightily surprised by the fact that the chips they were making were 64-bit.

It seems that that didn't leak, so maybe things aren't quite the sieve that was supposed.

Their public response in no way corroborates your claim. They had to appear as if there were no leak anyway. At whatever point they knew, they could only then realize how much work they had to do to get this done themselves. I'm waiting to see if they did it for S5 as they alluded to or not.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Processors are one of the few things where it doesn't make sense to multi-source like this. The design has to be validated with each individual supplier process. Differences between those processes will cause Apple to tune performance to the lowest common denominator.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Well if the app you're using is Safari or iTunes, yes, those only use 10% or less of the potential. Now doubling the performance in the same power envelope does not mean you use 1/2 the power to do the same task. More depends on the CPU/GPU/RAM/storage/bus/IO ability to power cycle.

Here is Anandtech's review of the MBA i5 and i7. Same TDP but i5 (slower) generally got better battery life due to naturally lower power levels (perhaps now called SDP) So no, increasing performance/Watt does not necessarily increase battery life.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7113/2013-macbook-air-core-i5-4250u-vs-core-i7-4650u/4

Where'd you get these numbers?

(I know that they'll draw less power, but those numbers don't seem terribly accurate.)

gnasher729 said:
Many apps that used 20% of the A6's full potential now use 10% of the A7's full potential. That's a massive energy saving and gives you more battery life.
gnasher729 said:
I'd ask you for evidence.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
With Samsung responsible for less than 9% of the components in any Apple device, I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

People and their love for percentages... What if those "less than 9% of the components" are the most vital parts of the device that others either cannot deliver in sufficient amounts or cannot deliver at all?

As a general response to many of the other posts: Samsung and Apple are corporations, not sentient beings, not football clubs, not artists or musicians or poets, writers, movie directors or actors. They're just giant machines whose only purpose is to make money for their shareholders, and thus they don't deserve any fan base. You're arguing about disposable and easily replaceable superfluous consumer goods and their manufacturers as if your life depended on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.