Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Rejecting 'Flappy' Titled Games From App Store

Apple has begun rejecting games attempting to take advantage of the popularity of the now-defunct Flappy Bird, a hit game that developer Dong Nguyen removed from the App Store earlier in February.

Shortly after Flappy Bird was pulled from the App Store, several clones of the original game soared up through the App Store charts, including a game called Flappy Bee, which stole artwork from a different app.

Two Flappy Bird clones
According to TechCrunch, Apple began cracking down on Flappy-titled games over the weekend. One developer, who tried to release an app called "Flappy Dragon" into the App Store, had his app rejected by Apple for attempting to "leverage a popular app," thus violating App Store Review Guideline 22.2, which references apps that contain "false, fraudulent, or misleading representations."
Quote:
22.2: Apps that contain false, fraudulent or misleading representations will be rejected.

We found that your app, and/or its metadata, contains content that could be misleading to users, which is not in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines.

We found your app name attempts to leverage a popular app.
Several additional Twitter comments revealed that other developers were facing the same rejections on games attempting to use the Flappy moniker, though multiple "Flappy" apps remain in the App Store, including Flappy Fish, Flappy Plane, Flappy Pig, and Flappy Puppy, having presumably made it though the review process before Apple began cracking down on Flappy apps.

Flappy Bee, the aforementioned app that used stolen artwork and managed to make its way to the top of the App Store charts, has, however, had its name changed to Jumpy Bee, suggesting that Apple may also be asking some existing clone apps to change their names to put an end to the Flappy frenzy. At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was reportedly earning $50,000 per day from advertising, so it is unsurprising that developers have rushed to fill the Flappy Bird void.

Though Apple has begun cracking down on the Flappy phenomenon, two popular Flappy Bird clones, Splashy Fish and City Bird - Flappy Flyer remain the number one and number two free iPhone apps some eight days after the original Flappy Bird game was pulled from the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Rejecting 'Flappy' Titled Games From App Store
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:51 PM   #2
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

thank god
locoboi187 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Anitramane
macrumors 6502

Good. I dont want a milliard rip offs on mah app store
Anitramane is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:51 PM   #4
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

I'm going to flap my wings and get out of this world if this "Flappy crap" keeps popping up on news.
nepalisherpa is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:52 PM   #5
Dekema2
macrumors 6502

He made a bad decision pulling it from the App Store, but this should give him credit. Plus, all these dumb copycats are getting old anyways.
Dekema2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Aussi3
macrumors member

I can't wait till we never have to hear about it ever again
Aussi3 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Judging by the number of reports on this thing, I must assume this is an incredibly important set of events around this game.

Really!?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Kobayagi
macrumors 6502

What is up with this flappy bird madness? I played it once, and I really don't understand what the fuss is about. Such a boring game.

And today, on this dutch selling site (something like eBay), I saw people are offering their iPhones or Sony phone for sale for 1.000+ just because it has Flappy Bird installed...
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Smoothies
Banned

This was already reported on....
Smoothies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:59 PM   #10
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Next up, get rid of that tragic rip off of a game, Candy Crush.
mKTank is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:00 PM   #11
czeano
macrumors newbie

I trust this website will be renaming itself to FlappyRumors.com soon?
czeano is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:01 PM   #12
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502a

What's with all the flappy hate?

I vote for a "Flappy Bird Roundup" on MR.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:04 PM   #13
MacDude21
macrumors regular

Why

I say let them be there. The guy decided he didn't want his game to succeed, so let other games take its place.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:07 PM   #14
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple has begun rejecting games attempting to take advantage of the popularity of the now-defunct Flappy Bird ...
OK. Instead of controlling the bird, how about controlling the pipes?
The game could be called "Smashy Bird." I'd play that one (for free.)
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:07 PM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Lawl. All that wasted time in a pitiful effort to cash in on a bandwagon that has already fallen off the hype highway.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:11 PM   #16
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple has begun rejecting games attempting to take advantage of the popularity of the now-defunct Flappy Bird, a hit game that developer Dong Nguyen removed from the App Store earlier in February.

Shortly after Flappy Bird was pulled from the App Store, several clones of the original game soared up through the App Store charts, including a game called Flappy Bee, which stole artwork from a different app.

ImageTwo Flappy Bird clones
According to TechCrunch, Apple began cracking down on Flappy-titled games over the weekend. One developer, who tried to release an app called "Flappy Dragon" into the App Store, had his app rejected by Apple for attempting to "leverage a popular app," thus violating App Store Review Guideline 22.2, which references apps that contain "false, fraudulent, or misleading representations."Several additional Twitter comments revealed that other developers were facing the same rejections on games attempting to use the Flappy moniker, though multiple "Flappy" apps remain in the App Store, including Flappy Fish, Flappy Plane, Flappy Pig, and Flappy Puppy, having presumably made it though the review process before Apple began cracking down on Flappy apps.

Flappy Bee, the aforementioned app that used stolen artwork and managed to make its way to the top of the App Store charts, has, however, had its name changed to Jumpy Bee, suggesting that Apple may also be asking some existing clone apps to change their names to put an end to the Flappy frenzy. At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was reportedly earning $50,000 per day from advertising, so it is unsurprising that developers have rushed to fill the Flappy Bird void.

Though Apple has begun cracking down on the Flappy phenomenon, two popular Flappy Bird clones, Splashy Fish and City Bird - Flappy Flyer remain the number one and number two free iPhone apps some eight days after the original Flappy Bird game was pulled from the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Rejecting 'Flappy' Titled Games From App Store
But it's still TOTALLY OK to give your game a title that games the search engine using titles of other top games in your genre!

Hey, anybody want to play Real Speed Car Smash Asphalt Driving: The Furious Grand Nitro Racing 3D?
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:13 PM   #17
MacDude21
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
But it's still TOTALLY OK to give your game a title that games the search engine using titles of other top games in your genre!

Hey, anybody want to play Real Speed Car Smash Asphalt Driving: The Furious Grand Nitro Racing 3D?
Sounds like 110.345943847% original fun!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:19 PM   #18
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Something even more annoying: Kijiji's phone section is now completely spammed up with phones that have Flappy Birds installed being posted for $1000+. It's ridiculous. All of this because of a crappy 2D game.
mKTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:21 PM   #19
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSeven View Post
Well will see how mines gets on

you forgot "angry"
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:25 PM   #20
cube
macrumors G3

flappygate
cube is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:25 PM   #21
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
I always find this kind of copying incredibly frustrating.

I have several (pretty) original game ideas, but lack the talent and/or time to ever finish them - have several half-finished games over the years.

And then you have all these guys who clearly have a talent for building games in very little time, but no originality to go with it.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:27 PM   #22
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Those developers just want to get that 50K a day deal.
BornAgainMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:32 PM   #23
FrozenDarkness
macrumors 6502a

This may be an example of apple overreaching their bounds but I'm glad at least Apple akes more control of its own app store.
FrozenDarkness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:38 PM   #24
2010mini
macrumors 6502a

You know this is serious when both Apple and Google rejects all these clones
2010mini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 03:39 PM   #25
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

No more Flappy Bird stories, I beg of you.
dannyyankou is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion