Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
Previous rumors have indicated the first major update to iOS 7, iOS 7.1, will be released to the public in March after a testing period that initially began in November. AppleInsider today echoed those rumors with a report suggesting the release could come towards the middle of the month.

Citing an "unverified source," the site specifically points to a March 15 release date, which is highly unlikely as it falls on a Saturday. A mid-March release date that falls near the 15th of the month is in line with previous March rumors, however.

AppleInsider's source suggests the release of iOS 7.1 is tied to the completion of new Mobile Device Management options designed to allow corporate and educational organizations to manage large numbers of devices.
The source stated Apple's iOS 7.1 would include "over-the-air supervision, allowing iOS administrators to fully manage devices without the need for the much maligned Apple Configurator," allowing organizations to instead deploy iOS devices via an MDM server.
Improvements to MDM options are said to include methods to prevent students from bypassing restrictions installed on school issued devices, a problem that surfaced after students in the L.A. school district were able to delete management profiles from their iPads back in September.

Apple has thus far provided five iOS 7.1 betas to developers, with the most recent beta released on February 4. Along with the rumored improvements to Mobile Device Management options, iOS 7.1 also offers a number of visual tweaks including revamped shift and caps locks keys on the keyboard, refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, and a new look for several aspects of the Phone dialer.

Details on features in past beta releases can be found in our previous beta posts: Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, Beta 4 and Beta 5.

Update: AppleInsider has clarified that the release date is "around March 15" rather than on March 15 itself.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Still Slated for March, Could Include Mobile Device Management Improvements

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Can't wait for this update. Anything that can improve the iPads at my workplace (a school) will be welcome news indeed. I am getting a little tired of dealing with problems on the iPads mostly created by staff doing something that they shouldn't be doing. The kids are fine, it is the staff that can't seem to let the machine do its magic like it is supposed to.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Looking forward to it but...

...Apple should fix the new (and unnecessary) UI tweaks that they made to the Phone app (the smaller and circular buttons that waste screen space and reducing a contact picture in a call to a tiny thumbnail). Other than that, 7.1 is a small step in the right direction.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I can't wait any longer. I just want ios 7.1.

----------

...Apple should fix the new (and unnecessary) UI tweaks that they made to the Phone app (the smaller and circular buttons that waste screen space and reducing a contact picture in a call to a tiny thumbnail). Other than that, 7.1 is a small step in the right direction.

I agree I hate the circles apples putting ever where wasting screen space and looking ugly.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Saturday seems unlikely. Maybe the week after?

If 7.1 is pretty much ready to go, can't see them waiting a month to release it.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
March 15th would be perfect, since that's my birthday and I'm updating to the iPhone 5s the same day :D

But I don't think they would release it on a Saturday.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
They couldn't "update" the Newton and the Hockey Puck Mouse.

At least this can be improved with software tweak...

...like Ping and MobileMe...

Actually on that note, why not just do an iCloud on it? Admit it was not excellently excecuted and sart over with something that people truly enjoy using. Instead of incrimetal updates that admit a mistake without addressing it fully.

(Just my thoughts, I'm not a corporate executive with years of experience)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Here's hoping that after the 15th is the case. Would really like to get my hands on a 7.0.4 iPhone 5C when my upgrade comes up on the 5th so I can jailbreak it. :eek:

I'm just too happy with the 5x6 layout on my iPod. That and the Lato Light font. I would stay on 7.0.4 forever to keep that setup. The interface changes look like they can be ported over anyway and I have no need for FaceTime Audio.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
March 15th would be perfect, since that's my birthday and I'm updating to the iPhone 5s the same day :D

But I don't think they would release it on a Saturday.

Depending on your situation. I would just hold out for the iphone 6. You're like halfway there basically.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Actually on that note, why not just do an iCloud on it? Admit it was not excellently excecuted and sart over with something that people truly enjoy using. Instead of incrimetal updates that admit a mistake without addressing it fully.

Windows 8 was a "mistake". iOS 7 just needs a few refinements.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Depending on your situation. I would just hold out for the iphone 6. You're like halfway there basically.
I'm keeping my 4S until the 6 comes out so I hear what you are saying, but we are nowhere near half-way through the iPhone 5S product cycle. If history is any guide, the 6 won't reach full availability in all countries until mid-December 2014. That's 10 months away. There is of course potential to get it a little sooner for some people, but this thing is definitely a ways off.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Hope this is totally false. The crashes on 64 bit devices is unacceptable and they're holding it up for some stupid education feature?? They could ad that in a 0.1 update.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
If Apple releases beta 6 tomorrow, then this report is probably more accurate.

Apple's on two week release cycle for iOS betas. We're on track for a new one tomorrow.

If it is beta 6: GM seed would be released two weeks later on March 4th and another week or two for public availability.

If GM tomorrow, then it is likely the public availability will be the first week of March.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Just release 7.1 with the big fixes. They can release new features afterwards at whatever timeframe they want.

I'm sick of these crashes and glitches.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Hope this is totally false. The crashes on 64 bit devices is unacceptable and they're holding it up for some stupid education feature?? They could ad that in a 0.1 update.

Good point. This is a feature that helps people take more control of the students. Not really stopping learning here sooo help the millions and millions of people who want/need iOS 7.1 with some good imporvements every one will use.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Honestly, it's borderline unacceptable how slow it's taking to get a .1 release from Apple. They shouldn't have released an unfinished product in the first place let alone have the general population act as a giant test for it for half a year... Every day I have to wait 2 seconds after unlocking to access an app I get more and more frustrated- its an easy animation fix that would greatly improve the speed and quality of the OS. Why not just release in more increments and fix the big issues and save the education crap for another small update? There shouldn't be a 6 month wait for something like that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Probably because that alone isn't just a stupid education feature but a fairly large hole in enterprise deployment as well, which is quite big and important (even if personal consumers might not be affected by it). That, plus there's plenty more likely that's still getting refined and is just not specifically being called out.

----------

Honestly, it's borderline unacceptable how slow it's taking to get a .1 release from Apple. They shouldn't have released an unfinished product in the first place let alone have the general population act as a giant test for it for half a year... Every day I have to wait 2 seconds after unlocking to access an app I get more and more frustrated- its an easy animation fix that would greatly improve the speed and quality of the OS. Why not just release in more increments and fix the big issues and save the education crap for another small update? There shouldn't be a 6 month wait for something like that.
While I agree that they should have gotten 7.0 right to begin with, or at least better than they did, the whole timing of a .1 update is pretty much the same as in previous versions. Plus to get things really right they might in fact needed a big enough update and this amount of time to do it all properly--that's probably better than releasing things earlier and realizing they still didn't fix everything or potentially introduced other issues which would be even worse.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
I can't wait for 7.1 it'll be nice I'm sure. I love iOS 7, but I don't love the loading time of everything and the random crashes. Not to mention iCloud constantly turning itself off and deleting all my contacts lol.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
The source stated Apple's iOS 7.1 would include "over-the-air supervision, allowing iOS administrators to fully manage devices without the need for the much maligned Apple Configurator," allowing organizations to instead deploy iOS devices via an MDM server.

I really hope Apple does improve iOS management, but I also hope that includes improvements to what Configurator can do. I have not had any problems using Configurator with a sync station and dozens of iPads, and loading apps and profiles on iPads is very quick. I just wish there was more customization options for both MDM options (including OS X Server) and Configurator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.