Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2014, 09:59 PM   #26
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Looks even more cumbersome than a MacBook if you have to carry around a keyboard and mouse.

This is retarded.
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:01 PM   #27
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Man, if only Apple already made a 13-inch device that could run OS X and use a keyboard and mouse.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/ma...AOS-US-KWG-PLA

Really, has anybody who thinks this is a good idea tried any of this? Tablets are based on touch input. Computers are based on keyboard and mouse input. These are not the same. I'd rather have two devices with engineers and developers adapting tools for each instead of some midway device that does neither well.

If you want one that does both, go get a Surface. Seriously, Microsoft needs your business.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:19 PM   #28
The Doctor11
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
If you want one that does both, go get a Surface. Seriously, Microsoft needs your business.
Yeah Microsoft is finding out the hard way you can't have a OS for both touch and computer and mouse. Most People want windows 7 for there desk top because windows 8 is nothing but problems. A lot of people using laptops want windows 7 too. And the tablet/laptop thing isn't work so great.
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:25 PM   #29
ToddJ
macrumors 6502

The video is obviously a fake (and a bad one at that.) The first time you see the iPad it is a digital one and when you see the on-screen stuff, it looks sooooo fake.
ToddJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:26 PM   #30
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Starting at only $999. O_O
iBreatheApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:29 PM   #31
Raima
macrumors 6502

Could be a hoax of an mac mirroring the screen to an ipad?

Or a prerecorded video playing on ipad?
Raima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:30 PM   #32
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

It's like 2008 all over again.
lunaoso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:31 PM   #33
scross28
macrumors newbie

I think they have it partly right.

I could see a 13" iPad pro plugging into my desktop with Lightning to Thunderbolt to get another display, maybe even as a stylus screen and offer parallel computing power. iOS 8 could have a VM like environment with the ability to pause what we know as iOS and un-pause a parallel companion to OSX. OSX Storm.

Lightning + Thunderbolt + Cloud = OSX Storm

I know that my iPad sits dormant at my desk while I work on my desktop. Why not tap into the CPU cycles while I'm locked down and provide another type of input for the desktop. Just like a Wacom Cintiq.
scross28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:38 PM   #34
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

I will say it again and again. If they could make a device like this that could dual boot OS X and iOS, and somehow share a file system, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:42 PM   #35
t.gillespie
macrumors member

This is an Ad people

They only did this to ADVERTISE themselves.. really..

Everyone just click-baited. pfffff.. including me... so sad...

Not doing OS X touch.. nope.. not happening.

They MIGHT do a hybrid, but put A8 or A9 in 'screen' that detaches and uses iOS and Intel / SSD in 'keyboard' for OS X.. and make it so they can 'share' resources... thats about it...

They wouldn't go Microsoft Surface ... that would be a blunder..
t.gillespie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:43 PM   #36
BJonson
macrumors 6502a

I happen to know that apple is co-developing osx on ARM only it won't be an ipad that is the first product released with it, it will be the mac micro. Think mac mini only as small as an apple tv.
BJonson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:50 PM   #37
sleepydinosaur
macrumors newbie

I'm still convinced the iphone will one day be the CPU for your computer. Bring it home, plug it in to a 27" screen with a built in thunderbolt 2 gpu and viola! Desktop computer.
sleepydinosaur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:55 PM   #38
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Touch with a proper OS is the only thing that would really get me interested in Apple hardware again - very exciting if they are even vaguely thinking about it. The Windows tablets have shown that it is where things need to go, I just haven't been able to figure out why Apple has held back. There is no issue with touch targets - never have found a problem with Surface, well except that I only got the RT version ><. Dell Venue tablets seem pretty sweet, but an Apple version with boot camp could -really- be a hit - come on!
MartiNZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:57 PM   #39
Koolaid74
macrumors member

Am I the only one who thinks that a 13-inch iPad that is nothing more than a bigger version of the existing iPad is a bad idea? Apple needs to move on and evolve.
Koolaid74 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:02 PM   #40
BobFJ
macrumors newbie

Do my eyes deceive me or is that girl on Apple website holding a 13" iPad. Hands would be closer if that were a regular size iPad.
BobFJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 PM   #41
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Windows 8 is just the Windows Phone UI on a larger scale with a horrible twist to make it backwards compatible.

It would be the same deal with OS X. It would become iOS with the OS X original backend.

You either buy both devices, or the one you need most.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:12 PM   #42
redkamel
macrumors 6502

So many analysts cited on rumor sites nalways make things up and have no idea about what Apple wants to do or it's culture. And it's their job to know supposedly.

Same with concepts. They are all just publicity grabs, usually with things that aren't going to happen or are impossible (5.7 inch phablet? iOS watch bracelet?). It's basically the souped of version of a 12 year old kid doodling their dream house or their ultimate speedboat or something.

This stuff isn't even rumors, it's just straight up conjecture. A rumor is usually based in some part on a fact or event....that's why people believe them. Not a made up wish list!

Last edited by redkamel; Feb 18, 2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: edited a comment re: MR because I thought this was on the front page.
redkamel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:17 PM   #43
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddJ View Post
The video is obviously a fake (and a bad one at that.) The first time you see the iPad it is a digital one and when you see the on-screen stuff, it looks sooooo fake.
Some one clicked on the video without reading the article... or the title:

Concept Video Shows a 13-Inch 'iPad Pro' Running a Full Version of OS X
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:31 PM   #44
OGDK
Banned

Why would I need a bad version of a laptop?
OGDK is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:32 PM   #45
AriX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to AriX Send a message via Skype™ to AriX
This. Is. Stupid. I'd rather just see video of someone using an Axiotron Modbook; at least that's a real thing.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:35 PM   #46
OGDK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
Looks even more cumbersome than a MacBook if you have to carry around a keyboard and mouse.

This is retarded.
Exactly. Plus using OS X on an iPad would be a drag. This is the same old junk they've been predicting since 2008.
OGDK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:52 PM   #47
Rad99004
macrumors 6502

Touch screen laptops and tablets will eventually happen. Apple says they won't but look at their track record on the devices that they said they will never make. Apple will eventually build what the market wants.
Rad99004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:56 PM   #48
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

It will eventually happen, just not in this format. Touchscreen phones still stink compared to a blackberry keyboard but the way we use the phones has evolved to be more of a social media tool with games, photography, etc. People still use computers for productivity and phones/tablets to goof around on. They'll have to shift the paradigm for computer software to work on a touchscreen. It hasn't happened for all who have tried so far but I agree, someday, someone will get it right.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:59 PM   #49
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor View Post
Here we go.

Shouldn't Apple have already realized desktop based OS's are horrible on mobile devices?
This is NOT from Apple. There is nothing from Apple actually confirming they have any plans this way and several comments for them that they likely don't.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:03 AM   #50
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Overall, it is unlikely that Apple will debut a tablet running a full version of OS X as seen in the video or a combo operating system anytime soon.
If the Axiotron Modbook had been ultra-popular, then Apple might have shipped a touch-screen OS X device.
It wasn't, Apple didn't, and no it's probably still not a super-good idea.

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro/

Oh, and if Windows 8 had been ultra-popular, then Apple might have shipped a mashup of OS X and iOS.
It wasn't, Apple didn't, and yes it's probably still a stupid idea.
Just ask The Ghost of Steve Ballmer.

Last edited by SockRolid; Feb 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM.
SockRolid is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion