Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hey guys,

I have an almost 3 year old iPhone 4 now that still works great BUT the battery life obviously is not what it once was...Now, I've already replaced the battery twice in the past 12 months and always have a spare but is there an aftermarket "bigger capacity" internal battery I can buy for this thing?

So far, these $10 ebay "OEM" batteries have been working but they too quickly start losing their strength at the 6 month point. The real OEM battery lasted me about 2 years before I started to notice a big drop....

Also, I don't want any external battery cases nor an internal battery that will blow the thing up :D

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I also have an iPhone 4 its one year old and the battery inst all that great. But I don't think you can put a bigger battery inside it. Have you seen inside one I never have in person but there is not that much extra room in there for a bigger battery

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
I also have an iPhone 4 its one year old and the battery inst all that great. But I don't think you can put a bigger battery inside it. Have you seen inside one I never have in person but there is not that much extra room in there for a bigger battery

I mean bigger capacity battery, not bigger size...

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Very sad to hear....Someone could make a lot of money then if they engineered a higher capacity (mha) battery that is the same physical size as the iPhone 4 battery for example....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Battery tech hasn't improved much for many years.
That's why about 70% of the space inside the phone is taken up by the battery.
Hope with newer phones they improve of power consumption and battery size and capacity.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I have an almost 3 year old iPhone 4 now that still works great BUT the battery life obviously is not what it once was...Now, I've already replaced the battery twice in the past 12 months and always have a spare but is there an aftermarket "bigger capacity" internal battery I can buy for this thing?

So far, these $10 ebay "OEM" batteries have been working but they too quickly start losing their strength at the 6 month point. The real OEM battery lasted me about 2 years before I started to notice a big drop....

Also, I don't want any external battery cases nor an internal battery that will blow the thing up :D

If you replaced the batter and it's still draining way too fast, it might be a software issue. I had some issues before where I had to restore my phone and NOT restore backups and just start fresh to fix problems.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Very sad to hear....Someone could make a lot of money then if they engineered a higher capacity (mha) battery that is the same physical size as the iPhone 4 battery for example....

OP, don't you think the battery manufactures are doing just that ? They want to make lots of money, and are working on this issue now, and have been for some time. It's in their best interest but this takes time to miniature the size and increase the capacity.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Ofcourse they are, I am just surprised there are no such products on the market already.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ofcourse they are, I am just surprised there are no such products on the market already.
In a way that's like being surprised that a full touchscreen phone that worked well like the iPhone wasn't available in 2004. The technology doesn't seem to be there for consumer level mass production and use just yet it would seem (like it wasn't for the iPhone until after 2004 for it to be developed and sold widely starting in 2007).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
OP, don't you think the battery manufactures are doing just that ? They want to make lots of money, and are working on this issue now, and have been for some time. It's in their best interest but this takes time to miniature the size and increase the capacity.

Lol :D
I know right, the OP is the first one that thought about it:D

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Hope with newer phones they improve of power consumption and battery size and capacity.

Even if they do, I hope the battery takes up 70% of the space. I'd love a battery that easily lasted a week. I barely hit 3/4 of a day now. My HTC One was far worse than my iPhone though. I could unplug it, drive home from work and lose 6% without even doing anything on it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Even if they do, I hope the battery takes up 70% of the space. I'd love a battery that easily lasted a week. I barely hit 3/4 of a day now. My HTC One was far worse than my iPhone though. I could unplug it, drive home from work and lose 6% without even doing anything on it.

Me too, I'd love it to last longer.
Not sure if my i5 battery degraded over the years or if ios 7 is more battery intense but I also need an additional charge to make it a full day.

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania

I hope so too.. a bigger device allows more space for a bigger display/battery :)

----------

When I had the IP5, the battery lasted no more than 8 hours. Everyone at my job has iPhone chargers at their desk. I hope this all changes soon so I could return to the iPhone.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
If a bigger capacity battery was available while retaining the same size I'm sure apple would have used it by now. I too want a bigger battery but oh well! The 6 should be coming out soon, rumor has it the phone is bigger...bigger battery ;)

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Bigger physical battery =/= more capacity.

Its the reason why my iPhone 4 (new) had a longer battery life than the iPhone 5S.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Well, looks like I found what I was looking for (here).

Says it is compatible with iPhone 4 and has nearly double the capacity of the stock battery. Already purchased it and will try it. I am getting tired of buying "OEM" iPhone batteries on eBay every month because over that period of time, my battery life goes from 5-6 days to 2-3....

GalvaJ

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I never recommend buying a battery from eBay. Even if it's labeled "OEM". Any one can press those three keys on their keyboard and label it OEM. I replaced my 4S's battery 14 months into owning it with a battery from iFixit. Believe it was about $30 at the time and it's held up strong for the remaining 8 months that I had it. If it's a cheap price it's probably gonna be cheap quality. Batteries, screens and similar components.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
The replacement iPhone batteries iFixit sells are NOT OEM according to iFixit themselves, see HERE.

If you look at pictures of their replacement battery and ones available on ebay, they look EXACTLY the same....Meaning both look like clones of OEM iPhone batteries. iFixit sells their kit for $20 + shipping where you can get the same battery (without a fancy box and 6 month warranty, good luck claiming it anyway) for $10 w/free shipping. Unfortunetly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy a new iPhone 4/4S battery because Apple doesn't like to sell OEM parts seperately to anyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.