Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Realmac Consolidating 'Clear' iOS Apps, Limited Free Offer to Migrate Coming Soon

Last year, Realmac launched Clear+, a universal, iOS 7-compatible version of its task manager that was meant to replace the original iPhone-only version. The original version of Clear was discontinued, but consumer backlash over having to pay again for a new copy of the task manager prompted Realmac to continue updating the iPhone app. After months of maintaining two versions of the app, Realmac has reversed course yet again and is now returning to its original version of Clear, which has been updated with iPad support.
Quote:
We're going to be returning to just one, universal version of Clear for iOS, with the original version of Clear gaining iPad support. If you already own a copy of Clear, you don't need to do anything as we've just launched an updated version of Clear with iPad support.
To appease customers who purchased Clear+, Realmac is offering the universal version of Clear for free so users can migrate to the only supported version of the app. This promotion will be offered twice and will be available for 24 hours at a time. Users can sign up to be alerted via email when the app is made free.

Clear is a universal app that is available from the iOS App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Realmac Consolidating 'Clear' iOS Apps, Limited Free Offer to Migrate Coming Soon
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:28 AM   #2
cymerc
macrumors member

Unhappy

RealMac did handle their "upgrade" to Clear+ very poorly, but it's just sad that iOS users are so adverse to paying for upgrades (or anything for that matter).
cymerc is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:31 AM   #3
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

that's nice.

I have the original Clear. when Clear+ came out it looked almost like a new money-making scheme. i never opted for it even with iPad support.

nice to see they are offering it free for a bit and then back to paid. get it now for free or pay later but don't complain.

I dislike when apps are not universal but have separate iOS versions. I asked about it once and they said people who bought both would be upset.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:34 AM   #4
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

I think the takeaway here is that Realmac actually listened to their customers and changed course.

Things could be worse. They could be a company that says "we have the right to visit you at your home or place of business unannounced, and we also reserve the right to call you on the phone but our company name won't come up on your CallerID."

No company would be ballsy enough to do that, right

(what's in YOUR wallet....)
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:45 AM   #5
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymerc View Post
RealMac did handle their "upgrade" to Clear+ very poorly, but it's just sad that iOS users are so adverse to paying for upgrades (or anything for that matter).
It's not "iOS" users, it's people. They don't want to pay for something they already paid for. Until it's a dramatically new app, people don't want to pay again for the same functionality. Also, android users spend more than 80% less money than iOS users do.
VanillaCracker is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #6
MacGeek1987
macrumors member

Finally! I don't mind paying for upgrades, but I do mind paying for functionality that should have been there in the first place! Having already paid for the iPhone and Mac versions, it'll be nice to have it on my iPad at last.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:19 PM   #7
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

That hack named Silvio Rizzi did the same thing with Reeder app. And also Algoriddim with djay. Not paying these crooks ever again.
mdridwan47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
It's not "iOS" users, it's people. They don't want to pay for something they already paid for. Until it's a dramatically new app, people don't want to pay again for the same functionality. Also, android users spend more than 80% less money than iOS users do.
How do you do "more than 80% less?" Must be the new math thing.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Millah
macrumors 6502a

All of this mess because Apple still hasn't supported giving developers the option for paid upgrades, or discounted upgrades for current owners. Thats how the software world worked for ages. Brand new substantial upgrades to applications would be charged for, and developers would give discounts to current customers looking to upgrade.

Customers have now just come to expect (and demand) that purchasing an app once for $0.99 is basically like getting a lifetime subscription to new applications from the developer. Thats wrong, and I wish Apple could do something to steer users away from creating this sense of entitlement and cheapness. For crying out loud, amazing software now costs less than a damn soda....its crazy the kind of value we get today in the App Store.

If a developer spends all this time creating essentially a brand new application, they deserve to charge for it, just like they did for the original version. The way it works now, where devs have to essentially create a new app listing in the store for substantial new updates, is confusing for users and creates this sense of resentment like the developer is trying to "cheat" you. Yea, would you like to get paid for just one month at your job, and then continue to have to work there without getting paid?
Millah is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:48 PM   #10
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

I don't mind paying for software upgrades. I do it with iBank and 1Password.

The things I care about when paying again are:

1) Make the upgrades worth it. I want some major functionality changes/improvements. I want to know I'm getting more value of the software for the price. Since the AppStore doesn't provide 'upgrade' pricing, I'm forced to pay full price again. So the value has to be big to me!

2) Support I contacted iBank and AgileBits quite a bit for help getting the sync stuff. They responded very quick. Within hours, if not by the next day. That's expected!

3) Time to upgrade - Don't make quick release cycles. I'm not going to pay $4.99 or $9.99 or $14.99 for your app every 3-4 months or even 7-9 months. Combine the extra functionality into a yearly upgrade.

4) Offer smaller revisions for free. That 1.1 update should include bug fixes, maybe speed improvements. Heck, through in an extra cool feature like Dropbox support if it doesn't already have it. Or twitter integration. It makes customers happy knowing something was added for free.
unplugme71 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:52 PM   #11
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
As you correctly point out, it's a matter of perspective. I think Apple is to blame as well. It does not provide developers with sufficient flexibility to monetise apps beyond initial pricing, in-app purchases and ads. Subsequent investments can only be regained through these three methods, whereas upgrade pricing could have been a very good solution too. Those developers that try to get around Apple' limitations always do this either at their own expense (giving away new apps for free) or at the expense of some of their customers (offering a new app with its own price tag to the detriment of existing customers), like Realmac did in this case. This workaround also results in obsolete apps, which is really unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
All of this mess because Apple still hasn't supported giving developers the option for paid upgrades, or discounted upgrades for current owners. Thats how the software world worked for ages. Brand new substantial upgrades to applications would be charged for, and developers would give discounts to current customers looking to upgrade.

Customers have now just come to expect (and demand) that purchasing an app once for $0.99 is basically like getting a lifetime subscription to new applications from the developer. Thats wrong, and I wish Apple could do something to steer users away from creating this sense of entitlement and cheapness. For crying out loud, amazing software now costs less than a damn soda....its crazy the kind of value we get today in the App Store.

If a developer spends all this time creating essentially a brand new application, they deserve to charge for it, just like they did for the original version. The way it works now, where devs have to essentially create a new app listing in the store for substantial new updates, is confusing for users and creates this sense of resentment like the developer is trying to "cheat" you. Yea, would you like to get paid for just one month at your job, and then continue to have to work there without getting paid?
Well said.
KALLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Ugliest color scheme for an app ever
Stridder44 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:26 PM   #13
ralphkaz
macrumors newbie

When will it be free?
ralphkaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:33 PM   #14
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphkaz View Post
When will it be free?
You need to sign up on their site to be notified, they have no communicated when that will occur
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:34 PM   #15
SmoMo
macrumors regular

3 cents

Quote:

I agree with your point, but bizarrely I would want Apple to make a much lower price point for apps, like 3 cents, rather than the $1 minimum.

The reason is that I want to make games but I don't want to put adverts in them, I like the old fashioned method were you buy something and then own it.
But there are so many people who won't pay a $1 for an App that making it free is one of the best ways to actually get people to download it.

So, if I can sell a million downloads at 3 cents, that is $21,000 which is at least 6 weeks development time and easily enough time to make an interesting game.

I think this would be a really interesting price option, but I am assuming most people will think, "hey 3 cents, that's gotta be worth trying out", perhaps even that price will be too high?

The point being is that the potential user base for Apps is now so much bigger than anything we've seen before, and its only going to get bigger yet.
As the price of development is actually decreasing ( due to all the more sophisticated development tools, more powerful development machines ) we should expect the price of Apps to fall even further.
SmoMo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:43 PM   #16
maflynn

Quote:
I agree but the problem with RealMacSoftware is they're charging a lot more then 99 cents for their apps. They replaced lil snapper with ember, a new app, that does the same thing. Instead of offering existing customers an upgrade, they're charging full price for an app that has less features, the my current version.

Needless to say I'm not giving realmacsoftware any more of my money
Old Feb 18, 2014, 01:57 PM   #17
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
I doubt there would be a problem if iOS apps didn't have a habit of breaking with every major iOS update.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:02 PM   #18
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
agreed, never saw what was so great about this app. I think I got it for free at one point and don't use it. It's visually unappealing and no more functional than many free alternatives. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:50 PM   #19
fluchtpunkt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoMo View Post
I agree with your point, but bizarrely I would want Apple to make a much lower price point for apps, like 3 cents, rather than the $1 minimum.
Sure. Lets continue to devalue our creations to a point where you can't even pay the fees for the payment processing.

Quote:
So, if I can sell a million downloads at 3 cents, that is $21,000 which is at least 6 weeks development time and easily enough time to make an interesting game.
And if your app costs 2 Dollars you only need 15,000 downloads to make the same amount of money. That's much more likely than selling one Million copies of your 3 cent app. There is a good chance that your app won't even get 1 million downloads if it's free.
The times were any ****** app gets massive of downloads are over. Don't look at Flappy Bird too much, that's the one in a million that disproves the rule. You won't create the next flappy bird.

Quote:
I think this would be a really interesting price option, but I am assuming most people will think, "hey 3 cents, that's gotta be worth trying out", perhaps even that price will be too high?
Yes, this price will still be too high for the majority of the people who won't buy your app for 1 Dollar. It's not about the actual price, it's about paying or not paying and the value of your app.

Quote:
The point being is that the potential user base for Apps is now so much bigger than anything we've seen before, and its only going to get bigger yet.
Even if every single person in the world has an iPhone you will never be able to make a living with an app that costs 3 cents.

Imagine if 0.01% of your customers have a question about the app and they start to email you. Who do you want to be? The guy who sold 1 million copies or the one who sold 15,000 copies for the same revenue?
fluchtpunkt is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:05 PM   #20
hamis92
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
agreed, never saw what was so great about this app. I think I got it for free at one point and don't use it. It's visually unappealing and no more functional than many free alternatives. Maybe I'm missing something.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and if you're not fond of the red/yellow colour scheme, there are others to choose from within the app).

The "thing" about Clear is not the amount of bells and whistles, but rather its unique, gesture-based out-of-the-way user interface.

I appreciate Clear for its simplicity. It lets me focus on my lists without any distracting visual noise or feature clutter. I find the UI delightful with plenty of little details.

The Mac version is also great, it retains the look and feel of the iOS version while adding features the windowed environment and tranditional pointing devices afford.

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. It's clear (pun not intended) that Clear is polarising and I'm sure Realmac Software never even intended it to be something for everyone.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:36 PM   #21
Razeus
macrumors 68040

I stopped using this company over this. Plenty of these to do apps all over the app store.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:38 PM   #22
bluebermuda
macrumors regular

Thumbs down God - you are so naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
Don't you realize that Clear has many themes from which to choose. It is a pet peeve of mine to read opinions which are based on complete ignorance.
bluebermuda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:15 PM   #23
jonyive4
Banned

Quote:
I spent >$2k on the app store last year.
I refuse to pay for a ****** upgrade that made me believe less in the company, and therefore I'm off the Realmac boat permanently.
jonyive4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 09:57 PM   #24
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

I've tried to-do lists even in paper an I never do anything about those things. Must stuff is just unimportant. In my everyday life —in a very good day— I can do 3 things only.

Now, if you and your wife are going for groceries separately is cool to have a real time list so you don't buy duplicates.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:19 PM   #25
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
How do you do "more than 80% less?" Must be the new math thing.
I remember a store I used to work at that had a giant sign up for a while...
"UP TO 30% OFF OR MORE"
Which pretty much assumed one thing, that I wasn't going to find anything for 30% off.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion