Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Preparing Fix for Sleep/Wake Crashes in 2013 MacBook Airs

Apple is preparing an update to fix an issue that causes 11 and 13-inch 2013 MacBook Airs to crash when they are wakened from sleep, according to information from an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

According to multiple lengthy threads on the Apple Support Communities, 2013 MacBook Air users have been experiencing sleep/wake issues for several months. Crashes, freezes, and blank black screens are common after waking a MacBook Air from sleep, and fixing the problem requires a hard restart.

It appears that the problem is related to OS X Mavericks and requires a combination of the computer going to sleep and a press on the keyboard or touchpad to initiate. One user has been able to successfully re-create the problem by pressing the power button to put the MacBook Air to sleep and then immediately clicking on the touchpad, which causes the machine to freeze.

The service provider that notified MacRumors about the update has said that it appears to be a bug in the sensor that detects when the lid is being opened, which has led to multiple machine returns and replacements as it was previously unclear whether it was a hardware issue or a software issue.

An Apple Support representative has also confirmed that a fix is in the works and should be bundled with the next OS X Mavericks update, which likely points to 10.9.2. A user on Apple's support forums has noted that 10.9.2 beta 4 appears to fix part of the problem by altering the function of the power button, preventing the machine from going to sleep when the power button is mis-tapped.

Ahead of the update, customers who are experiencing sleep/wake crashes with their MacBook Airs appear to be able to repair the problem with a restart.

Article Link: Apple Preparing Fix for Sleep/Wake Crashes in 2013 MacBook Airs
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2
gpat
macrumors 6502a

About ********** time. I've been having this problem since October.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
rotax
macrumors member

Its not just the Mac Book Air that has this problem. My MBP has been having this crash problem for 2 years.
rotax is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
wsc9005
macrumors regular

Finally !!!!!
wsc9005 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
JimmyTW87
macrumors newbie

I've been having several kernel panics but on my rMBP 2013, it's failed to wake from sleep about 4 times since i've had it. I don't know if it's a similar issue.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:59 PM   #6
musika
macrumors 65816

Too late for me, I returned mine months ago and got a rMBP. Great for current users, though. I had so many problems with that machine.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:04 PM   #7
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502

If you try to wake me too soon after I have gone to sleep -- I too will freeze up and crash. It is not just an Mac Air problem.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
needfx
macrumors 68000

at least the MBAs are not falling asleep and crashing against each other
needfx is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:09 PM   #9
casperes1996
macrumors regular

I've been asked about this

I've been asked about this a few times. I always thought it was a user error, as the girl who asked me had never used a Mac before her Air, and was, no offense to her and god bless her, not exactly gifted when it comes to electronics...

Moral: Don't judge users when they report issues... And actually read up on it before you assume them to blame... At least now I have good news for her.
casperes1996 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Kilamite
macrumors G3

It's such a silly idea to have the power button act like the lock button on the iOS devices. They should just revert back to the original behaviour of it bringing up a dialog box to ask you what you want to do (like what happens if you hold it down for a few secs).

I've never accidentally pressed it because my MacBook Pro's keyboard has an eject key. But if I were to get a new Mac, I can see myself on the odd occasion pressing the sleep button (where eject was) instead of backspace and sending it to sleep.

I see no benefit to making it sleep instantly by pressing that button..
Kilamite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11
nylon
macrumors 6502a

This issue affects my early 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro as well and is noted in numerous threads on the Apple forums.
nylon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:21 PM   #12
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotax View Post
Its not just the Mac Book Air that has this problem. My MBP has been having this crash problem for 2 years.
Exactly right. You can read lots of complaints about this from owners of all sorts of Macs other than an Air in the threads on Apple Support. I've had a similar issue with my iMac. Though it is not as frequent or repeatable, my iMac has frozen on wake at least three times since installing Mavericks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylon View Post
This issue affects my early 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro as well and is noted in numerous threads on the Apple forums.
Clearly the issue is a bug in Mavericks. If Apple is addressing only the MBA with a fix, I guess the rest of us are out in the cold.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:22 PM   #13
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

About time! I've had this happen to me on more than one occasion while taking notes in class.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:22 PM   #14
blasto333
macrumors regular

This happens to my 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Air. I shut the lid and then open the lid and I have to do a force restart. I hope they fix this.
blasto333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:29 PM   #15
Vikz
macrumors regular

Finally!... *screen dims* and it froze again
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:29 PM   #16
BillyBobBongo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto333 View Post
This happens to my 13-inch, Mid 2012 MacBook Air. I shut the lid and then open the lid and I have to do a force restart. I hope they fix this.
You're not alone!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:34 PM   #17
davecom
macrumors member

Does father Apple not care for his children?
davecom is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:35 PM   #18
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasto333 View Post
No problems here with our 2012 Air; judging by the number of complaints, perhaps we got lucky.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

I've heard about these problems from a friend who last fall purchased 2013 13" MBA. Mostly I was the one recommending him how good Macs are, that he won't regret switching, yes, how they "just work".
Sandstorm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:52 PM   #20
Ifti
macrumors 65816

2013 MBA owner here - I don't experience this problem at all. My unit has never crashed.....
Ifti is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:59 PM   #21
stefanski
macrumors member

Quote:
Ahead of the update, customers who are experiencing sleep/wake crashes with their MacBook Airs appear to be able to repair the problem with a restart.
Repair the problem with a restart? Last time I heard stuff like that I used a PC with Windows back in 2000. Then I purchased a Mac and that was it. It just worked...

Sorry to hear that people are having problems with their MBAs. Stuff like that can drive you mad and make you question the "It just works" slogan. Oh wait... It's just a slogan. So I'll crash now and go to sleep. It's kind of human. Apple just got the sequence wrong.
stefanski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:03 PM   #22
joshdammit
macrumors regular

In before "This NEVER would have happened on Steve Jobs' watch!", "Steve must be rolling in his grave now!" and other hyperbole insinuating Apple never screwed up when Jobs was in charge.
joshdammit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:08 PM   #23
Parasprite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanski View Post
Repair the problem with a restart? Last time I heard stuff like that I used a PC with Windows back in 2000. Then I purchased a Mac and that was it. It just worked...

Sorry to hear that people are having problems with their MBAs. Stuff like that can drive you mad and make you question the "It just works" slogan. Oh wait... It's just a slogan. So I'll crash now and go to sleep. It's kind of human. Apple just got the sequence wrong.
Not to mention that it isn't really much of a "repair", seeing as it doesn't actually fix anything. "Mitigate" would probably be a more accurate word.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshdammit View Post
In before "This NEVER would have happened on Steve Jobs' watch!", "Steve must be rolling in his grave now!" and other hyperbole insinuating Apple never screwed up when Jobs was in charge.
I'd be jealous if this was all I had to deal with in 2008-2012, when I had the bottom-of-the-line first gen MBA as my only computer.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:16 PM   #24
c-ker
macrumors newbie

'13 MBA no problems

My MBA is apparently not afflicted. We also have a 12 and that's not affected either. Both are same configuration -- 8GB RAM, 500GB SSID, slower processor. So maybe it's only certain hardware, or the soft/firmware that comes with it.

But my iPhone 5S has been rebooting itself a few times every day.
c-ker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:19 PM   #25
brian.from.fl
macrumors newbie

Hope this helps

I've had freeze issues with my MBP and Snow Leopard. I had stumbled across the following advice from MacWorld, and it has worked fine ever since. Yeah, there's a chance of data loss if the battery dies in the middle of what you're doing. But I never work up to the last gasp of the battery, so this has never been an issue.

The first step is to check which mode you’re in now. Use this command from the terminal:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Make a note of which mode it is (probably 3) so that you can return to it if you want.

Now, set your MBP to use mode 0:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
brian.from.fl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion