Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulfdumas

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
Problems with your Superdrive?

For all of your folks that have been having problems with your Superdrive, run down to Best Buy and buy a drive cleaner... about $14.00...

Finally remembered an old school solution to repair old floppy drives, so I went looking for a CD/DVD drive cleaner. Fixed the problem in 5 minutes...no more discs being rejected, no more problems reading, writing or burning to the drive...

Not too often that we find a quick, easy and effective solution for under $20...

matleo

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
bootmgr.efi missing

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 from a USB stick, so far I've succeed to install rEFIt and partition my disk. But when I'm trying to launch the Windows install (after rebooting) it doesn't work.

When I compare my files to some in Youtube it looks like I'm missing bootmgr.efi

Can you help me?
Thx

I'm using a MacBook Pro with Lion

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
When I try to restore to my USB flash drive using "disk utility"
I get this error message:

"Restore Failure - Could not validate source - Invalid argument [OK]"

Erased the USB and tried it again:

"Restore Failure - Could not validate source - error 254 [OK]"

What's wrong here? :confused: Thanks!

Getting the same error here. :(

What's even more frustrating is that Boot Camp Assistant now has an option to make your own bootable flash drive from a Windows 7 ISO, but even that doesn't work. It makes absolutely no sense that even the official way of doing it fails, plus it doesn't help that Apple doesn't supply any kind of actual help guide on it (the Boot Camp guide is pretty useless).

yoli

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2012
Well,
I found a very simple solution! I'll share it in case someone will need it!

- I converted the windows.iso file with "disk utility" to compressed dmg file.
- Restored the dmg file to the USB with the "disk utility"
- Removed and recreated the Boot Camp partition
- booted the with refit and it worked perfectly without any of the problems I experienced before.

Hi CGGuy84,

Can I ask how did you manage to restore? I get "Could not validate source - error 254" all the time.

peace out

seysearles

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Well,
I found a very simple solution! I'll share it in case someone will need it!

- I converted the windows.iso file with "disk utility" to compressed dmg file.
- Restored the dmg file to the USB with the "disk utility"
- Removed and recreated the Boot Camp partition
- booted the with refit and it worked perfectly without any of the problems I experienced before.

how did you do that?

NixieKei

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
For all of your folks that have been having problems with your Superdrive, run down to Best Buy and buy a drive cleaner... about $14.00...

Finally remembered an old school solution to repair old floppy drives, so I went looking for a CD/DVD drive cleaner. Fixed the problem in 5 minutes...no more discs being rejected, no more problems reading, writing or burning to the drive...

Not too often that we find a quick, easy and effective solution for under $20...

That was mentioned in the first few posts, not everyone will benefit from cleaning myself included. I will however keep the cleaner for my other systems ps3, xbox, etc. I also tried buying a new set of dvds to try to burn onto. My superdrive is just shot...

currently exploring installing a partition with usb, I will post an update with my solution and steps taken if successful soon.

Dark Phoenix

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume...

I've seen 2+ people post this error (below) when using rEFIt to boot up using a USB and/or a Win DVD and it's like everyone is ignoring it. This is the same issue I am having... does ANYONE know what it means and how to fix?!

I'm on a C2D MacBook2,1 on Leopard (MB21.00A5.B07, 1.17f0, rEFIt 0.13)

I tried everything as described by the previous posters, but I get the same error as Ldoh:

Starting legacy loader
Using load option 'USB'
Error: Not Found returned from legacy loader
Error: Not Found returned from LocateDevicePath
Error: Load Error while (re)opening our installation volume

The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external
hard drives are not well-supported by Apple's firmware for legacy OS booting.

* Hit any key to continue *

It looks like it's possible to do this only on that particular model of MacBook Pro.

I've seen 2+ people post this error above when using rEFIt to boot up using a USB and/or a Win DVD and it's like everyone is ignoring it. This is the same issue I am having... does ANYONE know what it means and how to fix?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.