Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-6-hero-250x252.jpg
Apple is planning on introducing two new phones this year featuring displays of 4.7 and 5.6 inches, with the former using a traditional Gorilla Glass display and the latter featuring a sapphire screen, according to a new report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News [Google Translate] (via Mac Otakara). The report also states that due to its experimental nature, Apple's 5.6-inch phone will not be known as an iPhone.

While it is somewhat probable that Apple could release two versions of the iPhone as previously suggested by other reports, it is very unlikely that the company would drop the iPhone name for the larger phone given the iconic reputation of the brand.

The report adds that Apple's next-generation phones will once again be assembled at primary supplier Foxconn (also known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.), with other suppliers including Cheng Uei Precision Industry and Simplo Technology also helping with production. Furthermore, the sapphire displays to be used in the 5.6-inch phone are said to come from new Apple partner GT Advanced, which was reported to be gearing up for massive production of devices with sapphire displays earlier this month.

Apple has been experimenting with a range of screen sizes for the next-generation iPhone since early 2013, with size rumors varying from 4.7 to 5.7 inches. Last week, the South China Morning Post stated that the company would be launching two new iPhones with larger flat sapphire displays in September, while The Korea Herald reported that the iPhone 6 would adopt a "bezel-free" display.

In addition to a new display, other reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 will feature a slimmer profile due to thinner and lighter backlights and a 10-megapixel or higher camera with an improved filter. The iPhone 6 is generally expected to arrive in the same September-October timeframe seen in recent years.

Article Link: Sketchy Report Claims Apple Will Release 5.6-Inch 'Experimental' Phone Without iPhone Branding

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Maybe the 5.6-inch one will be the next iPod?

It kind of makes sense to me. Positioned more as a handheld gaming device, less a phone (but still capable of cellular data - with FaceTime, iMessages, Skype and so on). To save costs, display could be just stretched, but with the same resolution.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia
Honestly it's this sort of BS that makes me wonder why I continue to read MR. I love reading 9 out of 10 articles here but this is just link bait at its finest.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I call BS on that. :)
They have too many options. iPhone Mega, iPhone Max, iPhone Grand, iPhone Pro, iPhone Ultra, iPhone Plus.

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I really hope not. That would make them sell what 4 iphones? (Iphone 5s, iphone 6, iphone 6+, iphone 6c), what happened to Steve Jobs's smiling the product line down to a few base products? It seems like Apple is trying to dip their foot into everything these days, I would rather just see core product lines (iPhone 6c and iPhone 6)

Thares

Cancelled
Feb 25, 2011
Honestly it's this sort of BS that makes me wonder why I continue to read MR. I love reading 9 out of 10 articles here but this is just link bait at its finest.

I'm rather annoyed by comments like yours. It is a rumor.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
In MR's defence they did mention in the title that the report is 'sketchy' :p

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Maybe the 5.6-inch one will be the next iPod?

It kind of makes sense to me. Positioned more as a handheld gaming device, less a phone (but still capable of cellular data - with FaceTime, iMessages, Skype and so on). To save costs, display could be just stretched, but with the same resolution.

also it's a smaller ipad-ipad mini as you are describing it.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You are on MacRUMORS.com. You are on Page 2 of MacRumors.com. The title even says "sketchy report". Cry more please?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I really hope not. That would make them sell what 4 iphones? (Iphone 5s, iphone 6, iphone 6+, iphone 6c), what happened to Steve Jobs's smiling the product line down to a few base products? It seems like Apple is trying to dip their foot into everything these days, I would rather just see core product lines (iPhone 6c and iPhone 6)

I know, right?

3 phones today is already waaay too confusing... ;)

I agree with what Steve Jobs did back then. The Macintosh product line was a mess... tons of models with little differentiation between them.

I think there were a DOZEN different Performa models released in a single year.

But come on... the iPhone wouldn't suffer from that... even if there were (gasp) 4 models of the iPhone :D

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I'm rather annoyed by comments like yours. It is a rumor.

I'm annoyed that your annoyed about link bait comments :)
Come on as if they are going to release a phone without the iPhone brand. Its a non story.

Should I get airtime if I say that Apple are going to retire the name iPhone
or Apple are going to stop selling phones?

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
9to5Mac sums up this article fairly well.

"Moreover, why would ‘first-hand supply chain sources’ have knowledge of Apple’s branding and marketing plans?"

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This is likely. Just as likely as Jon Ive has OS X running on ARM in his basement at Apple HQ. Apple, like many other companies develop many prototypes that never see customer hands. These are vital learning for the developers so their final products the customers use is the best it can be.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
it'll be called iPhoney since its not going to be an iphone but it will be an iphone.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
You are on MacRUMORS.com. You are on Page 2 of MacRumors.com. The title even says "sketchy report". Cry more please?

How about a rumor that has Tim Cook dating Jony Ivy? You need to draw the line somewhere. People don't want to see that garbage and no one would believe this crap so why post "sketchy reports"? Your now digging in the trash for news. Very obvious that this site is starving for anything. Look at the Samsung article from yesterday. A non confirmed Samsung rumor on a Macrumors website.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It's silly season, and will continue to be until WWDC unless Apple surprises us with a product launch before then.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009

It would be iPhone 5Sc and iphone next time. The idea of the 5c was to speed up manufacturing with the steel and plastic frame. It's just that 64-bit is "writing on the wall" so why buy a 5c? When BOTH phones are 64-bit the 5c will sell more. I think they'll just break tradition and go with the bigger phone next round. At this point they're just "old fashioned" for not moving forward. And "one handed" operation isn't a selling point when people operate the phone while driving and stuff. They'll still have the 5Sc to judge support for the size change in the next year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.