Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Hi,
Apologies if this topic has been beaten to death; I have looked at solutions elsewhere but none seem to work. I have a mac, running snow leopard and can't get my xbox controller to work. It is an official wired controller and when I plug it into the USB the green ring lights up temporarily then goes off. I have tried using software such as TattieBogle but it just says "no device found".
Any thoughts of getting this controller working would be much appreciated. Thanks.

dmn8

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2007
Chicago
Did you open sys prefs and configure the controller? You have to do that first in my experience.

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
Did you open sys prefs and configure the controller? You have to do that first in my experience.

I can't see the controller anywhere so I don't know how to configure it. All it says is no device found.

ivorito

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
All fixed now! Uninstalled it all by deleting the old files then installed an older version of the software. Works just fine.

thed0ctor

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
Just for anyone who was struggling like me to get the 360 driver working on Mountain Lion. I'd like to share a finding. Credit goes to Garret Main on YouTube.

-------------------
This information was taken from this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9XagkBpnNo
This method works on Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I tested it on my Retina MacBook Pro.

Make an account on http://www.tonymacx86.com/
Download KextBeast from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads
Download this uninstaller: http://www.mediafire.com/download/35xl6qjahi32qwg/UnTattieboglev2.sh (removes installation of other drivers)
Download version 0.8 of the 360 driver: http://files.tattiebogle.net/360/360ControllerInstall.0.08.dmg

Make sure your 360 controller is unplugged

Extract KextBeast to the desktop

Open the terminal and type in "sudo sh", with no quotes
Enter your password
Then type "sh " with no quotes (don't forget the space).
Drag the uninstall script to the terminal and hit enter (this will do uninstall the older versions)
Now open the the 0.8 version of the 360 controller driver.
Go through the installation steps.
It will probably say the installation failed but don't worry because it worked anyway (confirm this by seeing if the 360 preference is in your preferences)

Navigate to: /System/Library/Extensions/
Copy the 360Controller.kext to the desktop and then delete the original
Right click the 360Controller.kext on the desktop and click "Show package contents"
Navigate to Contents and then open the Info.plist in a text editor.
Pick one of the keys that refers to a 360 controller. For example:
<key>BigBenController</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.mice.driver.Xbox360Controller</string>
<key>IOCFPlugInTypes</key>
<dict>
<key>F4545CE5-BF5B-11D6-A4BB-0003933E3E3E</key>
<string>360Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Feedback360.plugin</string>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>Xbox360ControllerClass</string>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>1537</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5227</integer>
</dict>

You can pick any of the controllers between the <key> and </dict> marks.
Now we need to change the vendor and product IDs to match your controller.
Plug in your 360 controller.
Click the apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and go to "About This Mac"
Click more info->system report-> USB
Find the 360 controller and click it.
You will see product and vendor ids. Replace these values with the ones in the Info.plist file. Using the same example as above, let's say my Product ID is 0xf900 and Vendor ID is 0x1bad. We would now have:
<dict>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>0xf900</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>0x1bad</integer>
</dict>

You can also change the name to match your controller if you'd like. For example, mine said Afterglow so (again this is optional) I changed it to:
<key>Afterglow</key>
<dict>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<key>idVendor</key>
</dict>

Now save the Info.plist file.
Make sure the 360Controller.kext file is on the desktop so it can be found by KextBeast.
Open KextBeast and install

Open Finder and navigate back to System->Library->Extensions and make sure the 360Controller.kext was installed there.

Now unplug your 360 controller, reboot your machine, plug it back in once you're done rebooting and then you're done!
----------
Hope this helps others out.

GreenYogi

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I followed the steps given by thed0ctor and as a result my xbox controller has become extinct. It was working fine on windows platform, now it won't be recognised at all. It would start operating under OSX, but lasting only a few seconds before the driver would crash, but now nothing happens.
This issue started after upgrading to 10.8.5 few days ago.... I had been using this same controller on my 10.8.3 system for a full year without a single problem (With TattieBogle v.11).
It has to be a USB driver related issue, cause earlier today I was able to get the gamepad working by switching USB ports... but again for a short while.
Actually I reverted back to my previous system (10.8.3) hoping that I would get the gamepad back to normal... bummer. So I tried the procedure here and after reacting normally for half a minute, the gamepad green light turned off, and since it is 'dead', even on Windows7.
Any suggestion from this point?
:confused:

Update: I have downloaded and installed Microsoft Xbox Drivers and got the gamepad up and running on Windows7.
When I plug it in the Macbook it first operate normally for about 30 seconds with a dim green light, then the light goes bright and the controllers stops responding.

Update2: After few attempts on the mac, it's dead again and Windows says unknown device as well, so it doesn't come back to life now, anymore. I have deleted and reinstalled Windows drivers, but the trick didn't work twice.

Last edited:

jamesgc

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
I tried the thed0ctor's advice, followed it step by step with no problems, but still cannot use my Xbox360 controller (wired).

Any ideas?

I'm using OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 - I'm guessing that's the problem! :(

res.nguyen

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Hmm...I have a MAC Lion version 10.7.5, so maybe that's part of the problem. Are you trying to install the XBOX controller for NES? If so, you have to match the XBOX buttons with the keyboard via an emulator enhancer. I thought that the the controller would start working with my NES emulator automatically, but it turns out that you have to manually set up the buttons.

jamesgc

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
I'm wanting to use it for some of the games I have on Steam. e.g. Bioshock 3.

I can't even get the controller to show up as a detected device in the OS preferences pane. I reckon the driver needs updating for Mavericks.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s28/...7dfd8de95aaa/c0698fe02e154308681f79bceae05a96

Does anybody know how to get in touch with Colin Munro? I believe he works at Apple in CA now. I'm not sure if he still supports the driver, I'm sure he's pretty busy these days.

Maybe somebody else will update the driver from the source code, fingers crossed.

mephisto8

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
In case it's useful for anyone to know, I followed the instructions but still can't get my Mac to recognize the controller. I'm on 10.9.1, which I suspect is the problem, as jamesgc suggests.

mephisto8

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2013
Tried following thed0ctor's instructions, but when I get to this bit
Click the apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and go to "About This Mac"

I can't proceed since my 360 controller doesn't show up in the system report. Indeed, that's just the problem, getting the device recognized by my Mac.

I'm on a MBP81 (13" early 2011), running 10.9.1.

jamesgc

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
wow - how did I miss this?!!

Here lies the problem! :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tattiebogle_net_-_Mac_OS_X_driver-7.png
    Tattiebogle_net_-_Mac_OS_X_driver-7.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 24,636

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
Just for anyone who was struggling like me to get the 360 driver working on Mountain Lion. I'd like to share a finding. Credit goes to Garret Main on YouTube.

-------------------
This information was taken from this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9XagkBpnNo
This method works on Mountain Lion 10.8.4. I tested it on my Retina MacBook Pro.

Make an account on http://www.tonymacx86.com/
Download KextBeast from: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads
Download this uninstaller: http://www.mediafire.com/download/35xl6qjahi32qwg/UnTattieboglev2.sh (removes installation of other drivers)
Download version 0.8 of the 360 driver: http://files.tattiebogle.net/360/360ControllerInstall.0.08.dmg

Make sure your 360 controller is unplugged

Extract KextBeast to the desktop

Open the terminal and type in "sudo sh", with no quotes
Enter your password
Then type "sh " with no quotes (don't forget the space).
Drag the uninstall script to the terminal and hit enter (this will do uninstall the older versions)
Now open the the 0.8 version of the 360 controller driver.
Go through the installation steps.
It will probably say the installation failed but don't worry because it worked anyway (confirm this by seeing if the 360 preference is in your preferences)

Navigate to: /System/Library/Extensions/
Copy the 360Controller.kext to the desktop and then delete the original
Right click the 360Controller.kext on the desktop and click "Show package contents"
Navigate to Contents and then open the Info.plist in a text editor.
Pick one of the keys that refers to a 360 controller. For example:
<dict>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>1537</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>5227</integer>
</dict>

You can pick any of the controllers between the <key> and </dict> marks.
You will see product and vendor ids. Replace these values with the ones in the Info.plist file. Using the same example as above, let's say my Product ID is 0xf900 and Vendor ID is 0x1bad. We would now have:
<dict>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<key>idVendor</key>
</dict>

You can also change the name to match your controller if you'd like. For example, mine said Afterglow so (again this is optional) I changed it to:
<key>Afterglow</key>
<dict>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<key>IOKitDebug</key>
<integer>65535</integer>
<key>idProduct</key>
<key>idVendor</key>
</dict>

Now save the Info.plist file.
Make sure the 360Controller.kext file is on the desktop so it can be found by KextBeast.
Open KextBeast and install

Open Finder and navigate back to System->Library->Extensions and make sure the 360Controller.kext was installed there.

Now unplug your 360 controller, reboot your machine, plug it back in once you're done rebooting and then you're done!
----------
Hope this helps others out.

I can confirm, that it works perfect on Maverick 10.9.1 and a SpeedLink Strike FX (XBOX 360 identified) controller.

Big Thanks!

avolan7

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
Permission Issues

I think I am making a stupid mistake so I need some help. I have downloaded every thing and I went to execute the uninstall script but when I put in the path and hit enter it says permission denied. I have put it in a different area and tried to execute it as root but it still wont work. it accepted my password every time so I don't know what the problem is. Please help

antjessop

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
Thanks thed0ctor. Version 0.8 is working wonderfully. Is there a reason why later version aren't comparable with this fix?

literarylicence

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2014
Kernel Panic

I'm running OS X 10.8.5 on my MBP and having installed version 8 of the driver and altering the 360Controller.Kext etc. I seem to get a kernel panic every time I plug the xbox controller in? The whole system crashes and restarts stating there was an error that caused the system to shut down. Anyone else having this issue?

**Edit** I found the problem - Android File Transfer causes the crashes - you can remove the startup for the AFT app. Also this update should work - https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

Last edited:

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

I can't get the xbxo 360 driver to work in Yosemite. I have posted in the Yosemite forum and followed all the steps suggested in the forum with no luck.
I have tried installing every version including all the old ones with absolutely no luck - device not found.

It seems others have been able to work around this issue by installing an odler version but this did not work for me.
It worked fine on Mavericks but not on Yosemite PB2.

Any help would be much appreciated

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
For those curious: there is a driver available here that works with Android File Transfer. Unfortunately, it won't work on Yosemite yet.

nightowljw

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
Used to work, now no more.

Hey everyone.
When I first found this post trying to get my Mad Catz 360 controller to work on my MBP, it was the magic trick. I had it going in five minutes and it worked flawlessly with any game I played.

However, after I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10 the controller is no longer recognized by the driver and doesn't work, exactly like it did before I implemented this patch.

I thought that perhaps I only had to do the patch again since installing the OS, but after doing it - then doing it again to make sure I had done it right - no luck!
Something about Yosemite stops this patch from doing the trick.

Does anyone know what change might need be made? Or anything at all that will work?

Thanks!

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Yosemite is a bit more strict with its kernel extensions: If you have version 0.11.0, you should be fine. Unless you modify the kernel by, say, editing the info.plist file.

Note that there is a new preview version up on the github site that is compatible with Yosemite and Force Feedback works.

You can force Yosemite to load any kext by setting a boot argument via `nvram`.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.