Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:54 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

GBA4iOS Debuts 2.0 Update for Game Boy Emulator With iPad Support, Easy Installation

GBA4iOS today introduced a 2.0 update for its popular Game Boy emulator for iOS, introducing a full iOS 7 redesign, iPad optimization, support for original and Game Boy Color games, and a built-in web browser for downloading ROMs.

More importantly, the software is now much easier to install, requiring neither a jailbroken device nor a work around to set the device clock to 2012. Prior to the 2.0 update, installing GBA4iOS without jailbreaking required an iPhone's date to be set to 2012. Though it doesn't require an initial date change, GBA4iOS 2.0 does carry a warning that the device clock may need to be set back to 2/19/14 if the app fails to open.

With GBA4iOS 2.0, gamers can play Game Boy Advanced, Game Boy Color, and original Gameboy ROMs directly on their iPads and iPhones, but the software is only compatible with devices running iOS 7. GBA4iOS 2.0 is distributed using an Apple Enterprise certificate, which are designed to allow companies to distribute iOS apps internally.

Downloading games for GBA4iOS previously required navigating outside of the app to find ROMs, but the newest version includes an in-app web browser that can be used to download games from any ROM website. GBA4iOS 2.0 also includes full support for cheats, accepting five different code formats covering everything from Game Genie to Action Replay.

The GBA4iOS update includes an array of controller skins for Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color games and it supports third party controller skins. It also offers full iOS 7 controller support, Dropbox integration, and "Event Distribution" to allow GBA4iOS unlock and distribute features that are not normally included within games.

While several emulators have snuck into the App Store via shell apps, they are always short-lived as Apple pulls the apps within hours or days of release. GBA4iOS is able to overcome Apple's restrictions as it is not installed via the App Store. Instead, GBA4iOS can be installed directly on an iOS device from the website, by tapping the download link on an iPad or iPhone.

Update: Apple has revoked the enterprise certificate that GBA4iOS used to install itself on iOS devices, which means installs now require setting a device date back to February 18, 2014 before downloading the software. After installation, the date on the device can be changed back to the present time.

Article Link: GBA4iOS Debuts 2.0 Update for Game Boy Emulator With iPad Support, Easy Installation
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Time to play some Pokemon, one click installation is insane.
One thing I have noticed though is that Dropbox sync doesn't work, it is still registered in developer mode.

2013 13" MacBook Air + iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.

Last edited by Eddy Munn; Feb 19, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Eddy Munn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:57 PM   #3
CrimsonKnight
macrumors regular

Nice, downloading now. Will give it a shot.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:58 PM   #4
wim.v
macrumors member

Final Fantasy Adventure!
wim.v is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:58 PM   #5
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
MacRumours, thank you SO MUCH! Downloaded this as soon as I got the notification (cheers Mavericks!) and I'm playing FireRed as I speak.

EDIT: This is seriously ****ing sweet. Seriously, this works a charm and it's so easy to set up. Literally four taps and I'm playing this stuff. Just remember to be patient with the web browser, it does take a little time to load.
keysofanxiety is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:01 PM   #6
daijholt
macrumors 6502

I'm curious, how exactly does this get installed from the browser? Wouldn't that be a serious security issue?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Nyy8
macrumors 6502

I was a Beta Tester for this project, (you can find me as Jake Tarrant under the "Beta Testers" tabs).

It's an INSANE emulator, been playing with it for months. It's perfect, and one of the best out there for GBA. If you have any questions feel free to ask me how something works.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:04 PM   #8
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

wow it really is simple to install ... very nice.
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Reason077
macrumors 65816

I'm curious how they get around the app store restrictions to provide a direct download.

It appears to be signed by "ChinaVDI(Beijing) Technology Co.,Ltd" - so they've borrowed/hijacked someones Enterprise distribution key?

Presumably the "set clock back to before Feb 19, 2014" warning will be needed from some future date when the key expires or Apple cancels it.
Reason077 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:07 PM   #10
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyy8 View Post
I was a Beta Tester for this project, (you can find me as Jake Tarrant under the "Beta Testers" tabs).

It's an INSANE emulator, been playing with it for months. It's perfect, and one of the best out there for GBA. If you have any questions feel free to ask me how something works.
I have a question: may I kiss you on the mouth?

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Last edited by keysofanxiety; Feb 19, 2014 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Too many smileys, can't seem too grateful. I am Western, after all.
keysofanxiety is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Razeus
macrumors 68040

Getting tokens error message...
Razeus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:08 PM   #12
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors
There are dozens of popular games available, including many varieties of Pokemon, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and more.
In some kind of Nintendo store, right?
mw360 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
I'm curious how they get around the app store restrictions to provide a direct download.

It appears to be signed by "ChinaVDI(Beijing) Technology Co.,Ltd" - so they've borrowed/hijacked someones Enterprise distribution key?
yeah, I also curious about this. I think they borrowed the distribution key.
don't know if its possible to hijack someone else account.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:18 PM   #14
baryon
macrumors 68030

Does this count as Jailbreaking? Is there a chance of the device getting bricked somehow, and iTunes not being able to restore from backup due to it being considered Jailbroken?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:18 PM   #15
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.
Why would this be posted in direct violation of forum rules?
BaldiMac is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:19 PM   #16
GreenFreaK
macrumors member

doesn't open

I downloaded it via the link in this article and successfully installed it. But everytime I try to open the app, it crashes immediately. I have an iPhone 5S running 7.0.4 (11B554a).
GreenFreaK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:20 PM   #17
millerb7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFreaK View Post
I downloaded it via the link in this article and successfully installed it. But everytime I try to open the app, it crashes immediately. I have an iPhone 5S running 7.0.4 (11B554a).
Doesn't work for me either. Won't even launch, it's stuck in a "installing" cycle over and over.
Profession: SEO / WEB CONSULTANT
millerb7 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:21 PM   #18
bushido
macrumors 603

wooohoooo worked like a charm thx for the heads up. playing pokemon emerald and mario kart as we speak

Thumb resize.

Last edited by bushido; Feb 19, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
bushido is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:21 PM   #19
Batman89
macrumors regular

Will the new MFI controllers work with this?
Batman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:22 PM   #20
Lindsford
macrumors 6502a

Nice, Downloaded. Wish they would support more Emu's like this. Works great. The way it gets thrown on the iPad reminds me of being able to jailbreak through download cydia via safari =)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:23 PM   #21
tjleonard
macrumors newbie

I'm getting "unable to download App" when it is trying to download / install. It gets stuck in this weird loop on both my iphone and ipad.
tjleonard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:23 PM   #22
cptrios
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7 View Post
Doesn't work for me either. Won't even launch, it's stuck in a "installing" cycle over and over.
Same here. On an iPhone 5 with 7.0.2.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:24 PM   #23
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerb7 View Post
Same here.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:28 PM   #24
baryon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Same here.
Me too... I tried restarting, and reinstalling the app, doesn't help. Any ideas? There's the loading circle, it goes through completely saying "installing" but then it simply collapses back into an empty grid icon.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:29 PM   #25
scwinsett
macrumors 6502

I've got a retina iPad mini and an iPhone 5S, both on iOS 7.0.4
I am having no luck with this installation. Just gets stuck in a "installing" cycle
scwinsett is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion