Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Work at Apple's Campus 2 is well underway with most of the existing buildings now demolished and parking lot pavement removed, as shown in a recent aerial photograph (via MacGeneration) from Ron Cervi, a news and traffic reporter for KCBS. Demolition on the site began in November after Apple received unanimous approval for the project from the Cupertino City Council.

apple_campus_2_demo_aerial.jpg
Earlier photographs from a street level view revealed the first stages of demolition back in December, with partially demolished buildings visible from a nearby highway. Several sidewalks were closed, while bulldozers and other heavy equipment started clearing debris from the 176-acre parcel.

Apple's Campus 2 is a short distance away from the company's current headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, California. Eighty percent of the barren landscape shown above will be vegetated with over 4,500 trees in an endeavor that will "bring California back to Cupertino." The remaining 20 percent of the landscape will be dominated by a circular, 4-story building designed to hold 13,000 employees. The project has a target completion date of 2016.

Article Link: Aerial Photograph Shows Substantial Demolition Progress at Apple Campus 2 Site

Reactions: knugen

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Can't wait to see the new campus. Apple treats its campus like a product. It even received a Steve Jobs introduction.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I can't quite make it out, but it looks like the new Campus will be running on the current A7 series... :eek:

iFEL2WS.jpg

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm wondering if tim ok'd the curved triple glazing or if he went with flat panels due to cost.

Kenn Marks

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2005
If it's worth doing it worth doing right

I'm wondering if tim ok'd the curved triple glazing or if he went with flat panels due to cost.

As an Apple shareholder, I say, since we don't cut corners on the products lets not start by cutting corners on this landmark office complex. With all the money in the bank what's another Billion to do it as Steve envisioned it.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
What are the odds on finding this was an ancient village or burial ground.

Glass factories aren't very secretive. Giant curved glass walls being built someplace?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
What are the odds on finding this was an ancient village or burial ground.

Glass factories aren't very secretive. Giant curved glass walls being built someplace?

Not much as the history of this lot goes back over a century of constructions. Before this, it was one of the better HP development campuses. Originally it was an orchard and cannery going all the way back to the mid-19th century. This is not virgin land.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.