Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:27 AM   #1776
MacBH928
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
Actually you are wrong.
You can take the product to the store and have it replaced in the return period (14 or 30 days depends on the Country you live) no question answered.
Not everyone is lucky enough to have an Apple store next to them. I live in a place where the closest Apple store is at least 4 hours flight away. If I purchase a defected iPad Air which is sold through different retail stores here, there is probably no guarantees or return policies unless there is a serious defect like the iPad stops working or half the screen is broken.

Even if I choose to return it, with the high defect rate, I will probably be visiting them 3 to 4 times to return the units which will sound to them like a joke and they will simply refuse to exchange the unit even if I paid a lot of money for it.

I just think that Apple should fix this some how, this is not acceptable since this is NOT a new technology LCD screens have been here for a very long time.
MacBH928 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1777
Max(IT)
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBH928 View Post
Not everyone is lucky enough to have an Apple store next to them. I live in a place where the closest Apple store is at least 4 hours flight away. If I purchase a defected iPad Air which is sold through different retail stores here, there is probably no guarantees or return policies unless there is a serious defect like the iPad stops working or half the screen is broken.

Even if I choose to return it, with the high defect rate, I will probably be visiting them 3 to 4 times to return the units which will sound to them like a joke and they will simply refuse to exchange the unit even if I paid a lot of money for it.

I just think that Apple should fix this some how, this is not acceptable since this is NOT a new technology LCD screens have been here for a very long time.
I'd never buy a product if the nearest servicing point is 4 flight hrs away ....
__________________
Mac Mini - Macbook Pro 15" - MacBook Air 11"
Nexus 7 - 32Gb
iPhone 5S 16Gb - iPad Air 16Gb
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 04:50 AM   #1778
faldane
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
The air seems to have some quirky defects, I'm sure everyone remembers the magnet problem in the first few shipments.

http://reviewshot.com/ipad-air-known...h-smart-cover/

Maybe its something to do with the manufacturing for the air?
faldane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:14 PM   #1779
Buckster
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise
Buckster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:34 PM   #1780
Stanreza
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Ipad Air Display defect

IPad Air out of the box display defect: an annoying light dot on the left
Lower angle. Sadly I cannot return it since I purchased it while travelling to another country!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad (3).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	460433  

Last edited by Stanreza; Feb 11, 2014 at 07:07 AM.
Stanreza is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:07 PM   #1781
Jbru187
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise
Lighting plays a big factor in how noticeable it is, so it may be something you don't notice until you use it in a lower lit room.

I wouldn't let this thread determine if you should buy one. You need to judge if it is a problem or not for you personally. I didn't have any luck getting one with a decent screen, so I decided to just buy another iPad 4 and got an acceptable one the first time, so I have no doubt there is a problem with the Air.
Jbru187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:10 PM   #1782
Amplelink
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbru187 View Post
Lighting plays a big factor in how noticeable it is, so it may be something you don't notice until you use it in a lower lit room.
I agree completely. You really have to take it home or to the office to try it out. The ones in stores are usually cranked up to 100% brightness under retail lighting.

I haven't had any issues with mine either, which I just got. So there are definitely good ones out there. At some point though, even if you see a slight issue, it seems like enough of a lottery that you may simply want to keep one that you can deem good enough.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:51 PM   #1783
wrxsti88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
lucked out mine is a crisp white, uniform color, infact whiter than my ipad 3 screen!

there are good screens out there!
wrxsti88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM   #1784
Max(IT)
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise
Just don't look at this thread and go buy one.
__________________
Mac Mini - Macbook Pro 15" - MacBook Air 11"
Nexus 7 - 32Gb
iPhone 5S 16Gb - iPad Air 16Gb
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1785
Knownotall
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Woohoo!

My sixth iPad Air and I finally got screen nirvana. No yellowing, no darkening gradually across the screen. Just a bit of book spine effect which I never notice or care about. It was worth returning the first five pieces of crap.

Ahhhhhh. What a peaceful, relaxing feeling it is.
Knownotall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2014, 08:27 PM   #1786
Jbru187
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownotall View Post
My sixth iPad Air and I finally got screen nirvana. No yellowing, no darkening gradually across the screen. Just a bit of book spine effect which I never notice or care about. It was worth returning the first five pieces of crap.

Ahhhhhh. What a peaceful, relaxing feeling it is.
Good that you would finally found a good one. On the other hand, absolutely ridiculous you had to buy 6 in order to get it.
Jbru187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 01:03 AM   #1787
maxsteel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
How is this screen? Does it suffer of the issue? This is the last Air I got lately.
















maxsteel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:32 AM   #1788
MaverickZH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I have a serial that starts with DMPM. Screen is generally yellowish (on the left side even a bit yellower) and on the low left corner it has some lightbleeding. Right now I'm thinking about returning it.
MaverickZH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:40 AM   #1789
Jbru187
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsteel View Post
How is this screen? Does it suffer of the issue? This is the last Air I got lately.
The fact that you have to ask should answer your question.
Jbru187 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:25 PM   #1790
MacBH928
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
@maxsteel

I do not see anything wrong with it but cameras do not put what the eye can see. I have an iPad 3 that has a pinkish/greenish corner, when I tried to take a picture of it the screen looked flawless in the photo.

Here is a good rule, if you don't see it don't worry about it
MacBH928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2014, 02:36 PM   #1791
David58117
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
after reading this thread it had sort of put me off an Air - we already have a 32 '3 and a 128 '4 - but my wife offered to buy me one - an Air or Ipad 4 - but this thread had put me off

have looked at 3 different Airs - in store now - and all seem to have very uniform "white" screens - no yellowing, no dark sides etc - are the store ones cherry-picked - or is problem less widespread than some suggest

couldn't find a single flaw in any of them - in fact all 3 were slightly better than our 3/4 I'd say uniformity wise
This thread isn't indicative of the majority, I believe.

I just walked into the store, bought one, and have no screen issues.

And I'm someone who went through 5 original kindle paperwhites, and 3 paperwhite twos!
David58117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1792
liam1981
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Hello I have recently purchased an iPad Air 128 gig I have noticed when the background is white there seems to be a Little white spot is this normal or do I have a problem here
liam1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1793
KhunJay
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by liam1981 View Post
Hello I have recently purchased an iPad Air 128 gig I have noticed when the background is white there seems to be a Little white spot is this normal or do I have a problem here
Is it a grain of rice?
KhunJay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:16 AM   #1794
MaverickZH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I returned my horrible yellow iPad Air with a DMPM Serialnumber. Unfortunately Apple only had 1 DMPL and DMPM serials there. They opened three more and everyone the opened was horrible yellow aswell, so I ended up getting a refund. The ones in the Showcase all had this beautiful looking, bright white display and the iPads they actually sell were yellow... I'm really disappointed in Apple since I already sold my iPad 3 and need/want an iPad badly, but these displays are just horrible.

I added a pic which compares the yellow one to the nice one of the showcase. In real life it looked even more yellow, the camera somehow made it a bit less visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foto.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	461769  
MaverickZH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:24 AM   #1795
Hubet
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanreza View Post
IPad Air out of the box display defect: an annoying light dot on the left
Lower angle. Sadly I cannot return it since I purchased it while travelling to another country!
I had the same light spot on my first iPad Air at the same position and I returned it. Maybe you got mine... The serial number would be interesting...
Hubet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1796
abdulkar.im
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: London
After going through a LARGE number of iPad Airs (17 in total) I have come to the following conclusion.

Along with the huge array of screen tones (yellow, pink and green) all of the iPad Airs have the yellowing/darkening on the left hand side of the screen, most probably due to the side lighting from the right. This is a design issue and will not be sorted (if at all) until at least the next generation of iPad. The ONLY time that this yellowing is corrected is if there is major light bleeding from the bottom left hand corner of the screen. All the screens that have a uniform colour have the drawback of major light bleeding. It's up to you if you prefer a uniform screen with light bleeding, or yellow urine colored screen with minimal light bleeding.

Last edited by abdulkar.im; Feb 22, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
abdulkar.im is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:53 PM   #1797
Max(IT)
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulkar.im View Post
After going through a LARGE number of iPad Airs (17 in total) I have come to the following conclusion.

Along with the huge array of screen tones (yellow, pink and green) all of the iPad Airs have the yellowing/darkening on the left hand side of the screen, most probably due to the side lighting from the right. This is a design issue and will not be sorted (if at all) until at least the next generation of iPad. The ONLY time that this yellowing is corrected is if there is major light bleeding from the bottom left hand corner of the screen. All the screens that have a uniform colour have the drawback of major light bleeding. It's up to you if you prefer a uniform screen with light bleeding, or yellow urine colored screen with minimal light bleeding.
And 17 is a large number ???
__________________
Mac Mini - Macbook Pro 15" - MacBook Air 11"
Nexus 7 - 32Gb
iPhone 5S 16Gb - iPad Air 16Gb
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:19 AM   #1798
abdulkar.im
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
And 17 is a large number ???
Not looking at them in the shop. I've purchased and returned 17 of them, not something I wanted to do as it's a waste of time for everyone involved.

I use the iPad for photography as a portable portfolio, so colour accuracy is a must. The 17th was acceptable, but has quite a bit of light bleeding. A sacrifice I'm willing to take.
abdulkar.im is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:07 AM   #1799
MaverickZH
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I returned 5 so far. It's really sad I had to do this, as it is a lost of time as you said. But it's the only way Apple will realize that there is a Quality issue and maybe the will fix it with a future release (even if they don't admit the issue officially, what they almost never do).
MaverickZH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:48 AM   #1800
abdulkar.im
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickZH View Post
I returned 5 so far. It's really sad I had to do this, as it is a lost of time as you said. But it's the only way Apple will realize that there is a Quality issue and maybe the will fix it with a future release (even if they don't admit the issue officially, what they almost never do).
I hope you don't have to go through as many as me to get a good one, it was starting to really get me down.
abdulkar.im is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Does anybody have this screen defect? (iPad Air) Mike10934 iPad 5 Mar 22, 2014 01:29 PM
iPad: Screen defect? Seņor iPad 5 Dec 27, 2013 11:01 PM
MacBook Air 11 video defect. fsilva.34 MacBook Air 0 Jun 4, 2013 01:48 PM
Screen Defect chrscap iPhone 0 Jan 27, 2013 05:46 AM
iPhone screen defect ACint24 iPhone 0 Sep 22, 2012 01:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC