Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has completed the rollout of two-step verification in several new countries, reports 9to5Mac. As noted on Apple's website, these new locations include Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, and Spain. Reports from at least one German user suggests Germany already had two-step verification, but lacked the verification through SMS feature, which was enabled today.

twostepverification.jpg
Last May, Apple expanded its two-step verification system to several countries in North America, South America and Europe. This feature apparently was launched prematurely and disappeared shortly after it was enabled.
While it's always possible the feature might disappear like last time, this time around things look more official with users having full SMS support through local carriers and Apple listing the new countries on its support sites. Apple also has a list of supported carriers for receiving SMS messages by country here that was just updated.
Two-step verification is an optional security feature that requires Apple users to verify their identity before making purchases or logging into their Apple ID account. This extra layer of protection requires users to enter a 4-digit verification code sent to a trusted device via Find My iPhone or SMS. Once enabled, this system replaces the standard security questions.

Apple introduced this security feature in March 2013 to users in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.

Article Link: Apple ID Two-Factor Verification Expanded to Several New Countries

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I just activated mine the other day. It's a pretty good experience, much better than the one I had with Google when I was trying an Android phone (verification text would send to the phone but I couldn't view the text).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Everyone should do this

----------

I just activated mine the other day. It's a pretty good experience, much better than the one I had with Google when I was trying an Android phone (verification text would send to the phone but I couldn't view the text).

Gimme a break :rolleyes:

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
hmmm can’t understand why iCloud keychain sms verification works for my country while two-step verification not….

Google, hotmail, dropbox long time ago enabled this feature and Apple is still struggling... :/

Synchro

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
France
I just wish they would sort out multiple accounts. It's a total mess, and they seem to be making it harder and harder to live with - activating this would make things significantly worse for me.

jonAppleSeed

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2013

Cool story, bro

I'm happy they finally brought it to Canada. Although I don't know why it would have been restricted by location. It's not like they had to setup licensing deals or anything.

Gaokaos

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Belgium
When I enabled the iCloud keychain on a new Mac last week, it also asked me for a code that was sent to my iPhone with a text message. Was surprised to see this but the process was flawless. I'm based in Belgium by the way.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm happy they finally brought it to Canada. Although I don't know why it would have been restricted by location. It's not like they had to setup licensing deals or anything.

International texting seems to be surprisingly difficult. As an example, whenever I have to validate my Microsoft account I usually have to try it 2-3 times because the text often doesn't make it through. According to a local forum, number portability can be a headache. Some providers seem to always send messages to the network that originally allocated the destination phone number, instead of querying a database to find the current network.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea
International texting seems to be surprisingly difficult. As an example, whenever I have to validate my Microsoft account I usually have to try it 2-3 times because the text often doesn't make it through. According to a local forum, number portability can be a headache. Some providers seem to always send messages to the network that originally allocated the destination phone number, instead of querying a database to find the current network.

i use google authenticator for the microsoft account.

Daku93

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
I can confirm, that Germany already had this feature just without the SMS, just as you mentioned.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I've had my login details stolen about 10 times now and I still can't be bothered with two-factor verification for anything. What happens if I lose my iPhone and have to borrow someone else's iPhone to login and find it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.