Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon Planning March Launch for Apple TV Set-Top Box Competitor

In light of recent reports stating that Apple is hard at work on an Apple TV refresh, Amazon is allegedly readying a new Web TV box that would compete with Apple's set-top box and the Roku, according to Re/code. The report states that Amazon's new media streaming device could be available as soon as March.

Similar to rumors that surfaced last year, this latest information claims Amazon's set-top box will tie into the company's Instant Video service and may support third-party content providers in a manner similar to the Apple TV and Roku.
Quote:
A box is also a logical move for Amazon, which is investing heavily to build up a Web video catalog, and is starting to produce its own shows as well. An Amazon box will allow its customers to easily watch that stuff on their TVs; it should also give other content providers a chance to serve up their stuff via apps, in the way that Roku and Apple TV boxes do.

Sources tell me Amazon's box is will be powered by Google's Android operating system, which is also not a surprise -- Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets use a "forked" version of Android.
Re/code also speculates that Amazon's set-top box could contain a gaming component, noting that the company is looking to expand its Amazon Games Studio by hiring game developers who can "break down technology barriers and deliver experiences people have never seen before." This follows another recent rumor from VG247 that suggests the online retailer is working on an Android gaming console similar to the Ouya.

Amazon has stepped up its streaming content offerings in the past year, producing 14 original television pilots and using feedback to decide which get made into full shows, as well as spending significant amounts of money to secure exclusive rights to popular shows like Downton Abbey and The West Wing.

Currently, Amazon's Instant Video service is available on iPads and iPhones, the Xbox 360, the Nintendo Wii, the Sony Playstation 3, smart televisions from LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and Vizio, TiVo, the Roku box, as well as a number of Blu-ray players.

Article Link: Amazon Planning March Launch for Apple TV Set-Top Box Competitor
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:21 AM   #2
monty77
macrumors 6502

..hopefully this means Apple will finally give us the App store we've wanted for so long - letting Amazon get there first would be extremely unwise.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Sky Blue

c'mon new Apple TV!
Sky Blue is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:23 AM   #4
MattG
macrumors 68040

Ugggh...I just want one box that does it all. Wish ATV would just do Amazon Prime.
MattG is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:25 AM   #5
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Well that is a bummer.

Probably ruins any chance now of an Amazon Instant Video App for AppleTV.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:25 AM   #6
japanime
macrumors 65816

And Roku will continue to quietly kick everyone else's butts.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

I'd really hate to see Apple lose the web TV box race.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:27 AM   #8
MattG
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Ugggh...I just want one box that does it all. Wish ATV would just do Amazon Prime.
OR...wish that somehow, some way, one of these other boxes could play the protected Apple content. But we know that'll never happen...ATV having Amazon Prime is more likely, even if only by a little.
MattG is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:27 AM   #9
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

The more the better. The faster cable companies loose power over distribution, the better.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:28 AM   #10
scott911
macrumors 6502

Quote:
that would have it easier on the customer - and if there weren't legal/ licencing issues, it would be kind of like apple saying - we're above that.
scott911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

For a company that makes no profit, Amazon certainly is trying to completely dominate a lot of business segments.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when Amazon finally has eradicated the competition.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:31 AM   #12
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post
For a company that makes no profit, Amazon certainly is trying to completely dominate a lot of business segments.

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop, when Amazon finally has eradicated the competition.
wait what? Amazon is a non-profit?
mattopotamus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:32 AM   #13
bushido
macrumors 603

just in time for the Amazon Prime Video Streaming service to launch in Germany next week

does the iPad app allow airplay to the apple tv? probably not
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Winni
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Muley View Post
I'd really hate to see Apple lose the web TV box race.
Since Apple have repeatedly said that the Apple TV is "just a hobby", it's safe to say that they are not really in this race.

It will be much more interesting to observe the products from companies who take this market seriously: Amazon, Microsoft (Xbox One), just to name the big players who are already shipping real products - and not just publishing their "hobbies".
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:38 AM   #15
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty77 View Post
..hopefully this means Apple will finally give us the App store we've wanted for so long - letting Amazon get there first would be extremely unwise.
I'd agree. If this isn't the kick in the pants that Apple needed…. then I don't think Apple was even wearing pants!

Step it up, Apple. Enough with the hobby!
Solomani is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:39 AM   #16
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hopefully the long awaited AppleTV with an App Store will sort that out.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:44 AM   #17
duncansby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
just in time for the Amazon Prime Video Streaming service to launch in Germany next week

Here in the UK the lovefilm app allows airplay to the ATV, so hopefully the amazon app will. Quality not as good as netflix through the ATV though
duncansby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:45 AM   #18
alm99
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Yes it does.
alm99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:45 AM   #19
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
I hope you are getting Amazon Prime for their shipping and not for their streaming. The Amazon Prime shipping can be good but the Amazon Prime free streaming catalog is very poor.
Plutonius is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:45 AM   #20
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post
that would have it easier on the customer - and if there weren't legal/ licencing issues, it would be kind of like apple saying - we're above that.
What do you mean to suggest, that Apple "blocked" Amazon Prime from the ATV? Has it occurred to anyone here that Amazon might have made that call themselves?
gatearray is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:48 AM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni View Post
Since Apple have repeatedly said that the Apple TV is "just a hobby", it's safe to say that they are not really in this race.

It will be much more interesting to observe the products from companies who take this market seriously: Amazon, Microsoft (Xbox One), just to name the big players who are already shipping real products - and not just publishing their "hobbies".
Last May Tim Cook said Apple TV sales had surpassed 13 million. How is that not shipping a real product? Based on 9to5Mac's recent reporting it's pretty much a guarantee we'll see a revamped Apple TV this year. My guess is it will be announced at WWDC, especially if it gets an SDK.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:49 AM   #22
tatonka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasu E. View Post

"a company that makes no profit" misconstrues the reality quite a bit. Amazon invests a lot in new markets with subsidizing customers (i.e. Kindle Books until Apple stopped that) and by buying companies and technologies.
Other companies sit on piles of cash without doing much with it, business wise Amazons plan seems more ambitious and promising right now.

T
tatonka is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:50 AM   #23
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I'd agree. If this isn't the kick in the pants that Apple needed…. then I don't think Apple was even wearing pants!

Step it up, Apple. Enough with the hobby!
I think it's obvious something will be coming this year. My guess is WWDC.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/23/new-ap...tore-possible/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/01/28/apple-...major-changes/

http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/10/new-ap...-ios-7-builds/
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:51 AM   #24
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Bring it on. More competition helps the consumer.
BornAgainApple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:53 AM   #25
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
OR...wish that somehow, some way, one of these other boxes could play the protected Apple content. But we know that'll never happen...ATV having Amazon Prime is more likely, even if only by a little.
The apple proyectes content is not as big now as before w many movies coming w both iTunes and UV codes and apps like Vudu streaming better quality content in 10-20x less time than the eternal loading of apple movie on the same connection. The main reason to get an atv instead of other boxes is airplay which I constantly use.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion