Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Its most likely due to file sizes. Bluray discs can store up to 25GB (as far as I'm aware) and I'm sure iTunes HD movies aren't that size. I know full well it'd take my internet connection a good month to download 25GB.
lol, I can download 25GB on a 20 Mbps connection in less than 3 hours.

itunes movies around around 4-5GB.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
lol, I can download 25GB on a 20 Mbps connection in less than 3 hours.

itunes movies around around 4-5GB.

My area can't even get 1mbps. At most I get 128kbps. One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of nowhere. :(

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
What I don't get is that all these services work with streaming? Why not digital downloads at +/- 10GB file size. With H264 it equals BR quality. That will fix all troubles, and nobody is hurt with a less good connection. Even on my crap 20mbit ADSL, I can download 10GB in a bit over 1 hour if the server is fast. Maybe Netflix should move to DRM-ed torrents ;).

But unlike me, others probably have a hard time to choose a movie BEFORE dinner, than wait till it is downloaded during dinner and making coffee, and THEN watch it ;). WE WANT INSTANT.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
What I don't get is that all these services work with streaming? Why not digital downloads at +/- 10GB file size. With H264 it equals BR quality. That will fix all troubles, and nobody is hurt with a less good connection. Even on my crap 20mbit ADSL, I can download 10GB in a bit over 1 hour if the server is fast. Maybe Netflix should move to DRM-ed torrents ;).

But unlike me, others probably have a hard time to choose a movie BEFORE dinner, than wait till it is downloaded during dinner and making coffee, and THEN watch it ;). WE WANT INSTANT.
With iTunes you can download the files and then remove the DRM using a program called Requiem. It's the reason why you can find iTunes tv shows and movies all over the internet for free. Hint, google "WEB-DL".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.