Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Microsoft to Cut Windows Licensing Price by 70% to Compete with Apple

Microsoft is set to cut pricing of Windows 8.1 by 70 percent for computer and tablet manufacturers, according to Bloomberg, partly due to increased competition from both Apple and Google in the PC space.

Quote:
Stronger competition from*Apple Inc. (AAPL)*and Google cut revenue last quarter at Microsoft's devices and consumer licensing division, which includes Windows software, as the computer industry posted its biggest annual decline on record. By offering incentives for PC makers to sell cheaper models, Microsoft may be able to increase its share of the growing $80 billion tablet market and stave off Chromebooks, notebooks that run Google's operating system.
Under the new terms, manufacturers will be charged $15 for Windows 8 licenses to preinstall it on devices that retail for less than $250. Previously, the fee was $50, although many manufacturers were able to pay $30 because of incentives provided by Microsoft.

The software company said last month that Windows 8 adoption was moving at a slower pace than Windows 7. Over the past several years, notebook and desktop PC sales have declined as lighter, more portable tablets have surged in popularity -- an area that, so far, Google and Apple have dominated.

In recent years, Apple has been the top vendor in the PC market, selling more combined tablets, notebooks and desktops than any other manufacturer. Research firm Canalys predicted that tablets would account for half of all shipped PCs in 2014, with Apple taking up 30 percent of tablet shipments, Google's Android taking up 65 percent of tablet shipments and Microsoft taking up 5 percent of tablet shipments.

Article Link: Microsoft to Cut Windows Licensing Price by 70% to Compete with Apple
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:47 PM   #2
DonJudgeMe
macrumors regular

70% off isn't free...
DonJudgeMe is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:50 PM   #3
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJudgeMe View Post
70% off isn't free...
And it doesn't have to be free. If Microsoft wants to charge for their software/OS, then so be it. They make money primarily off software; Apple's main revenue stream is hardware.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:50 PM   #4
peteullo
macrumors regular

What happens to a software company that can't sell software?
peteullo is offline   55 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

It says on computers and tablets selling for under $250. Not a very large percentage of devices, i'd imagine.
Freyqq is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:53 PM   #6
musika
macrumors 65816

Steve Ballmer would never let this happen.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:54 PM   #7
goobot
macrumors 601

Most people don't want windows 8 and prefer windows 7, this is the true reason why they slashed prices, many pc makers have recently brought back computers with windows 7 pre-installed due to the demand for it.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:54 PM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I do (regrettably) need to install Windows on my iMac this weekend... does this mean I can get Windows 7 for a lot cheaper (without becoming illegal) if I wait?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:55 PM   #9
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
And it doesn't have to be free. If Microsoft wants to charge for their software/OS, then so be it. They make money primarily off software; Apple's main revenue stream is hardware.
The only things that Microsoft has a modicum of success in are legacy OS and XBOX.
Yr Blues is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:00 AM   #10
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Funny, I just bought Windows 8.1. I heard a lot of bad reviews, and I really can't stand the Metro side of it. However, for $4.99, I found a great little app, errr program called Start8 that gives me the start button functionality/look of Windows 7. I have to say I'm really liking it. I had the Win 7 Enterprise evaluation and really liked it. Haven't used Windows since XP. I need Windows for some clients and other small stuff, but I'm pleased with Windows 8.1. I'm running it in VirtualBox and it seems really snappy.

However, it was a pain to install. The ISO file I got from Microsoft would not install on it's own. I had to install the Enterprise 8.1, then install 8.1 over that. No issues. I removed the old OS via the Disk Cleanup and now it's good to go.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:01 AM   #11
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
For now that hold true. In the long-term future, there is no money to made being an OS vendor - you either make money selling devices or services (through subscription or ads).
smulji is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Populus
macrumors regular

Hey guys, does this mean I will be able to purchase a Windows 8.1 license for only 15-20 bucks, as a customer, for my current PCs? Or this only applies to retailers?
Populus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:06 AM   #13
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Still overpriced. It's not even worth a $1 compared to OS X. My Wndows days are happily behind me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteullo View Post
What happens to a software company that can't sell software?
The do make pretty nice mice
SchneiderMan is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:09 AM   #14
DarkCole
macrumors regular

Poor Micro$oft lol
DarkCole is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:11 AM   #15
akbarali.ch
macrumors 6502

It's a terrible time for Microsoft.

Google sells ads and makes money from it.

Apple sells hardware to make money

They both give the software free.

How Microsoft will make money from its software if competitors are giving away free.

Ouch! A terrible paradigm shift.
akbarali.ch is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:14 AM   #16
John.B
macrumors 68040

The new guy's first action is to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titantic?

Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:14 AM   #17
westrock2000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJudgeMe View Post
70% off isn't free...
OSX is not always free. It may have been this round. But it also alienated a lot of the older user base as well, which I'm sure they are hoping will convince people to upgrade older Macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Apple Website
For the first time, you can upgrade your Mac to the latest release of OS X for free.
Now $20 is still a damn fine price for upgrading OSX.

Media Server: Mac Pro 1,1 | 2x Xeon L5335 (low voltage quad cores) | 15TB for movie storage
westrock2000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:19 AM   #18
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Populus View Post
Hey guys, does this mean I will be able to purchase a Windows 8.1 license for only 15-20 bucks, as a customer, for my current PCs? Or this only applies to retailers?
This applies only to OEM's that are selling PC's $250 or less. If you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows or purchasing a full license, you pay regular price. So for the vast majority of people, it is business as usual.
smulji is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:19 AM   #19
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

and they can't give it away....
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:21 AM   #20
osaga
macrumors 6502

Microsoft should focus on enterprise, and compete with Oracle & IBM. Trying to compete in the consumer space with Apple and Android is lunacy to me.

Low end PC's, tablets, and phones will all be running Google's free OS, w/ android apps, and ecosystem.

Last edited by osaga; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
osaga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:24 AM   #21
Populus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulji View Post
This applies only to OEM's that are selling PC's $250 or less. If you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows or purchasing a full license, you pay regular price. So for the vast majority of people, it is business as usual.
What a pity
I'm mostly a OS X user, so not big problem, but for the PCs in my home would have been great news.

Thank you!
Populus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:35 AM   #22
Xerotech
macrumors 6502

I don't mind paying for something that works efficiently and user-friendly. Windows 8 did not provide this. Tablets were already taking over PCs by the storm, Windows 8 simply gave it a extra push, with it's awful Metro Style.

I can only see gamers, business sectors and students who need computers to do projects/papers. Tablets give a much better experience with social networking, their keyboard expansion has been greatly beneficial. At this point, it doesn't matter how cheap the operating system gets, even free. As a user pointed above, they should invest more in to an area like the business sector for greater profitability, catering to people whom will generate them a large margin of profit.
Xerotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:38 AM   #23
antonis
macrumors 6502a

MS should first decide what they want to do with this operating system. It's a tablet OS transferred badly to desktop. Or is it a desktop OS that works better in tablets due to bad design ?
antonis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:42 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It's not going to make much of a difference. This helps the manufacturers to make $15 more, but what good is that if these things are still sitting idle on a shelf?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:52 AM   #25
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarali.ch View Post
It's a terrible time for Microsoft.

Google sells ads and makes money from it.

Apple sells hardware to make money

They both give the software free.

How Microsoft will make money from its software if competitors are giving away free.

Ouch! A terrible paradigm shift.
Well, strictly speaking Android isn't entirely free. For one thing, after numerous lawsuits, Microsoft now collects considerable patent royalties from the Android device makers. I can't pinpoint an exact per unit figure, but collectively it's about $2 billion a year.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion