Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Unveils Line of Gear 2 Smart Watches Featuring 'Tizen' Mobile Operating System

Samsung today unveiled its new line of Gear 2 smart watches, which follows the release of its Galaxy Gear smart watch last year. Like its predecessor, the flagship Gear 2 features a 1.63-inch touchscreen, 4GB of internal storage, 512MB of RAM, and mobile speakers, but also now contains a built-in IR blaster and a camera that has been moved from the wristband to the front of the device. Meanwhile, the cheaper Gear 2 Neo is lighter than its higher-end counterpart, and does not feature a camera.

Samsung's Gear 2 Neo (left) and Gear 2 (right) smart watches
Both watches are running Samsung's new Tizen mobile platform, which was developed in collaboration with Intel as well as multiple telecommunications companies. Samsung says that users can expect an "enriched application ecosystem" as well as compatibility with over a dozen Samsung Galaxy smartphones at launch.

The Gear 2 is said to include a 300 mAh battery that provides anywhere from 2-3 days of typical usage, as well as a heart rate sensor and pedometer for fitness tracking.

The ability to monitor health-related metrics will reportedly be one of the main features of Apple's iWatch, which is in development and could be released later this year. Throughout the past year, Apple has hired a number of health experts in fields related to health metrics, and also is said to be developing a "Healthbook" app for iOS 8. It was also reported last week that Apple is interested in acquiring health wearable maker Basis, which currently integrates many advanced health-centric technologies into its current products.

Samsung will be releasing the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo in various colors, with both devices receiving Charcoal Black and Wild Orange options. Additionally, the Gear 2 will be released in a Gold Brown option while the Gear 2 Neo will be offered a Mocha Grey colorway.

The Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo will be available internationally starting April, with pricing to be announced soon. The company is also expected to unveil its flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone at its Unpacked 2014 event during Mobile World Congress 2014 later this week, with recent reports suggesting that the device will feature an integrated fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Samsung Unveils Line of Gear 2 Smart Watches Featuring 'Tizen' Mobile Operating System
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:24 AM   #2
ashwin4
macrumors member

Sometimes being first to the market doesn't equal success. Samsung better hope this one isn't a flop as well
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:26 AM   #3
nyil
macrumors newbie

I'm loving these MAC RUMORS, guys.
nyil is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:26 AM   #4
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin4 View Post
Sometimes being first to the market doesn't equal success. Samsung better hope this one isn't a flop as well
It appears they just keep releasing new products based on apple rumors. By late this year, we may have the S Watch 3 or 4 at the time the 1st "iWatch" is released.
alksion is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

Still feels indifferent to their watches. I like your TVs and fridges better, Samsung.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:32 AM   #6
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know the address of samsungrumors.com?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:32 AM   #7
randyj
macrumors member

Wow, only 5 months after Gear 1!
Good luck with this one Samsung, but I am still not gonna buy one
randyj is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:34 AM   #8
HappyDude20
macrumors 68020

Doesn't Samsung know they're not going to make much money on this?
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:35 AM   #9
nyil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude20 View Post
Doesn't Samsung know they're not going to make much money on this?
But their Galaxy Camera was a huge success! /s
nyil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:39 AM   #10
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

And everyone that bought a galaxy gear hates Samsung even more now.
lolkthxbai is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:46 AM   #11
Fresh Pie
macrumors 6502a

I think I would be more excited if Samsung released an actual gear.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:49 AM   #12
Ann P
macrumors 68000

Looks much better than the 1st model (those screws). I'm not hating at all.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:56 AM   #13
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wait until Gear 3 look like an iWatch.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 01:59 AM   #14
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
Stop being a snob. It's interesting to see what other companies release. The way I see it this is a tech site, period.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:00 AM   #15
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Like its predecessor, the flagship Gear 2 features a 1.63-inch touchscreen, 4GB of internal storage, 512MB of RAM, and mobile speakers, but also now contains a built-in camera and IR blaster.
The original Gear had a camera. The new model just repositions it from the strap to the main watch body.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:01 AM   #16
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

This is very funny, thank you Samsung I needed cheering up.

The article says it now has a built in camera, the original one did and this looks just as crap. The display and ui will still be rubbish. An IR blaster ... So we're going back to the 90's.

Did I mention it still looks rubbish.

Also they havent said ifyou still need to do any replying off a phone making the watch pointless. Id rather a Pebble 2 than this.

Last edited by Nevaborn; Feb 23, 2014 at 02:41 AM.
Nevaborn is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:04 AM   #17
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Wow, switched to Tizen... So does this mean even Samsung admits Android sucks? I say yes.
gatearray is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:05 AM   #18
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaborn View Post
AnIR blaster ... So we're going back to the 90's...
The IR blaster is presumably there so you can use it as a remote for TVs and other infrared-controlled devices.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:12 AM   #19
bsolar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
It appears they just keep releasing new products based on apple rumors.
Fitness bands are nothing new and were definately not inspired by Apple's iWatch rumors. Samsung designed a health-monitoring "smartwatch" because it'a pretty obvious idea to integrate fitness bands' features in it. Most likely even Apple "got inspired" by these already existing products: some of them are already used with iOS devices too.

Let's see if the iWatch is able to execute it better (if and when gets released).
bsolar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:18 AM   #20
Oohara
macrumors 6502a

This looks a lot nicer than the first one, might give this one a shot!
Oohara is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:20 AM   #21
Millah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsolar View Post
Fitness bands are nothing new and were definately not inspired by Apple's iWatch rumors. Samsung designed a health-monitoring "smartwatch" because it'a pretty obvious idea to integrate fitness bands' features in it. Most likely even Apple "got inspired" by these already existing products: some of them are already used with iOS devices too.

Let's see if the iWatch is able to execute it better (if and when gets released).
So obvious, exactly why it originally had these features in the first revision, and didn't just magically appear months after intense rumors of health being a primary focus for Apples wearable. :rollseyes:. I'm not saying Apple is novel in the idea of a health wearable, but come on, it's pretty obvious Samsung is obsessively chasing after Apples feet

Don't put it past Samsung. These guys are capable of completely switching courses and rapidly rushing something into production. I remember Samsung executives admitting as much in regards to the first Gear.
Millah is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:21 AM   #22
Jsameds
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMartens View Post
The clue is in the question there, buddy.
Jsameds is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:25 AM   #23
rentalanimal
macrumors newbie

Hey Prey Lay

Hey Prey Lay
rentalanimal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:26 AM   #24
bsolar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Wow, switched to Tizen... So does this mean even Samsung admits Android sucks? I say yes.
Remember that Android is very successful: more than "Android sucks" I guess the rationale was "Android is in the hands of a competitor". Samsung most likely wants to build his own complete ecosystem and become less dependent from Google.
bsolar is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2014, 02:34 AM   #25
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Samsung today unveiled its new line of Gear 2 smart watches, which follows the release of its Galaxy Gear smart watch last year. Like its predecessor, the flagship Gear 2 features a 1.63-inch touchscreen, 4GB of internal storage, 512MB of RAM, and mobile speakers, but also now contains a built-in camera and IR blaster. Meanwhile, the cheaper Gear 2 Neo is lighter than its higher-end counterpart, and does not feature a camera.

Samsung's Gear 2 (left) and Gear 2 Neo (right) smart watches
Both watches are running Samsung's new Tizen mobile platform, which was developed in collaboration with Intel as well as multiple telecommunications companies. Samsung says that users can expect an "enriched application ecosystem" as well as compatibility with over a dozen Samsung Galaxy smartphones at launch.

The Gear 2 is said to include a 300 mAh battery that provides anywhere from 2-3 days of typical usage, as well as a heart rate sensor and pedometer for fitness tracking.

The ability to monitor to health-related metrics will reportedly be one of the main features of Apple's iWatch, which is in development and could be released later this year. Throughout the past year, Apple has hired a number of health experts in fields related to health metrics, and also is said to be developing a "Healthbook" app for iOS 8. It was also reported last week that Apple is interested in acquiring health wearable maker Basis, which currently integrates many advanced health-centric technologies into its current products.

Samsung will be releasing the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo in various colors, with both devices receiving Charcoal Black and Wild Orange options. Additionally, the Gear 2 will be released in a Gold Brown option while the Gear 2 Neo will be offered a Mocha Grey colorway.

The Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo will be available internationally starting April, with pricing to be announced soon. The company is also expected to unveil its flagship Galaxy S5 smartphone at its Unpacked 2014 event during Mobile World Congress 2014 later this week, with recent reports suggesting that the device will feature an integrated fingerprint sensor.

Article Link: Samsung Unveils Line of Gear 2 Smart Watches Featuring 'Tizen' Mobile Operating System
The original Samsung Galaxy Gear also had a camera (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung..._Gear#Hardware)
swingerofbirch is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion