Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
So obvious, exactly why it originally had these features in the first revision, and didn't just magically appear months after intense rumors of health being a primary focus for Apples wearable. :rollseyes:. I'm not saying Apple is novel in the idea of a health wearable, but come on, it's pretty obvious Samsung is obsessively chasing after Apples feet
No, it's not pretty obvious at all: it's pretty obvious that health monitoring in smartwatches was an interesting idea long before Apple's rumors got wind: that's most likely Why Apple itself hired experts in that field in the first place.

Or more rudely said, it's pretty obvious that Apple is obsessively chasing after ideas which are already decedes' old and which have been or are being already implemented in actual products by at least half a dozen other companies. Some of these products most likely predate Apple's rumors too.

Samsung is not chasing Apple, is following the trend of smartwatches in general. This trend predates Apple's rumors and most likely "inspired" Apple to go in that direction too.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Both watches are running Samsung's new Tizen mobile platform, which was developed in collaboration with Intel as well as multiple telecommunications companies.

Tizen is doomed.

Oh well. It'll keep Samsung's attention as fragmented as Samsung themselves have deliberately helped to make Android.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Actually this IR heart rate sensing technology has been around for a little while now.

Sure, but this is the first time it is introduced in a mainstream watch added as an additional feature as opposed to the central feature. With this watch non-belt heart rate sensing has climbed out of the niche market into mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Gear watches and will never buy one (if they keep looking like this), but it is quite interesting that Samsung introduced this tech into their watch only 5 months after the first introduction. It makes me wonder whether it was not done in time for the first Gear watch, or if they are just responding to the rumours surrounding Apple.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Now if it would work with the iPhone, then it could become a succes but as it stands now it's just a waste of time and resources.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I visited a Samsung display in a department store here in The Netherlands. They had the original gear on display, but they were dummy watches. I truly wondered how Samsung is ever going to sell these things if you can't even try them out in the store?

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
The caption of the watches is wrong. On the left hand side we see the camera less model. On the right hand side there is the "premium" Model.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Stop being a snob. It's interesting to see what other companies release. The way I see it this is a tech site, period.

My issue is that they only target Samsung rumors. I have a Note 3 and have been following Android for years. This is just a fraction of the Android news. LG announced 2 phones last week and just yesterday Lenovo said that they will announce a tablet on Monday. During mobile congress this week we could see maybe 10 other smart watches from other Android OEM'S yet Macrumors only cherry pick Samsung.
And I rarely see any Windows Phones on Macrumors. I bet over 90% of you guys didn't even know that Nokia just released the Nokia Icon on Verizon. Most of you are only Apple lovers but I'm a gadget lover. Sucks to see news being targeted for click responses. Stick with Apple rumors or become a site like Engadget.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I visited a Samsung display in a department store here in The Netherlands. They had the original gear on display, but they were dummy watches. I truly wondered how Samsung is ever going to sell these things if you can't even try them out in the store?

Go to a Best buy here in the States and all but the most popular phones are dummy models but they do have live watches with live Note 3's around them. Could be due to the crime rate or people setting up passwords on phones not in demo mode.
I don't ever remember seeing dummie iPhones or iPads.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Sure, but this is the first time it is introduced in a mainstream watch added as an additional feature as opposed to the central feature. With this watch non-belt heart rate sensing has climbed out of the niche market into mainstream.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of the Gear watches and will never buy one (if they keep looking like this), but it is quite interesting that Samsung introduced this tech into their watch only 5 months after the first introduction. It makes me wonder whether it was not done in time for the first Gear watch, or if they are just responding to the rumours surrounding Apple.

It's not mainstream unless a certain proportion of consumers own one, and neither the Gear1 nor Gear2 has achieved that yet.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Remember that Android is very successful: more than "Android sucks" I guess the rationale was "Android is in the hands of a competitor". Samsung most likely wants to build his own complete ecosystem and become less dependent from Google.

Android is a temporary OS for Samsung and Google. As Samsung moves to Tizen, Google will be moving to chrome OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.