Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragonfire2539

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Hello Macrumors Community.

I start University tomorrow and I desperately need a desktop PC.

I have decided to go with a Mac Mini because it is cheap (for a Mac), I need OSX, I hate all in one PC's, and I already have a keyboard attached to an iPad.

The problem I have at the moment is that the Mac Mini is due for an update and I worry that I might be buying one days away from a new release.

If I do need to buy an Ivy Bridge Mac Mini, what would the difference be between that and a Haswell processor.

And if there is a big difference, how much would I lose if I sell and buy the newest Mac Mini.

Thanks for the help.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2014
It's not just CPU vs CPU.

The new mac mini is likely to have 802.11ac, Thunderbold 2, price drops or even bigger ram or hdd at stock config.
Biggest difference is GPU, a Iris Pro or even the non pro is waaaay better than the hd4000!

I would wait until end of Feb ;)

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
there isn't much to say about this that hasn't already been said as opinio pointed out.. BUT!
and its a big but as we don't do that enough here on MR, i just wanted to say:

BIG BIG congrats on starting uni, well done on getting in. It will be the best and worst time of your life, enjoy it, work hard, think ahead - the job market is tough! - and be smart (iow be safe). :D

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Hello Macrumors Community.

I start University tomorrow and I desperately need a desktop PC.

I have decided to go with a Mac Mini because it is cheap (for a Mac), I need OSX, I hate all in one PC's, and I already have a keyboard attached to an iPad.

The problem I have at the moment is that the Mac Mini is due for an update and I worry that I might be buying one days away from a new release.

If I do need to buy an Ivy Bridge Mac Mini, what would the difference be between that and a Haswell processor.

And if there is a big difference, how much would I lose if I sell and buy the newest Mac Mini.

Thanks for the help.

Get yourself the I5. It will be perfect for a relative inexpensive desktop computer.
You will have 14 days to return it if a new one comes out or the resale value is very strong. Try to buy Apple refurb to save money. It will do everything you need unless your doing heavy duty video editing. Good luck in school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.