Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm looking to buy either a LG G Pad 8.3 or or the nexus 7 2013. Both are on sale at the moment, I can get the LG G Pad for £180 and the 16 GB Nexus 7 for the same price or pay £210 for the 32 GB Nexus 7.

Pros for the G pad:

Larger screen
Q pair
Customisable app icons
Multitasking features
Build quality
Knock on

Nexus 7:
Higher resolution
More frequent updates
Good form factor

I think the only thing that puts me off the G pad is the fact that in my country I can only buy it from an online retailer. I would like to see the device in the flesh before I buy it.

I'm not bothered about it not running stock android. I don't think I'll be bothered by LG's skin as I use and like touch wiz. Also I think that samsung and LG's software looks similar visually and they even share some functions.

So I'll probably go for the G pad. Just wanted to know if anyone had any views on this.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking to buy either a LG G Pad 8.3 or or the nexus 7 2013. Both are on sale at the moment, I can get the LG G Pad for £180 and the 16 GB Nexus 7 for the same price or pay £210 for the 32 GB Nexus 7.

Pros for the G pad:

Larger screen
Q pair
Customisable app icons
Multitasking features
Build quality
Knock on

Nexus 7:
Higher resolution
More frequent updates
Good form factor

I think the only thing that puts me off the G pad is the fact that in my country I can only buy it from an online retailer. I would like to see the device in the flesh before I buy it.

I'm not bothered about it not running stock android. I don't think I'll be bothered by LG's skin as I use and like touch wiz. Also I think that samsung and LG's software looks similar visually and they even share some functions.

So I'll probably go for the G pad. Just wanted to know if anyone had any views on this.

I could use a stylus to write on the G pad. Haven't tried on the Nexus 7. I think you can make phone calls using Nexus? Perhaps you also consider the photo quality?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
For the price of the LG G Pad, i'd go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, it's a FAR superior tablet at $399 and it comes with a stylus.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The note pro is better in terms of specs but it costs £170 more. Also I'm not fussed about having a stylus as I have the note 3.

----------

I could use a stylus to write on the G pad. Haven't tried on the Nexus 7. I think you can make phone calls using Nexus? Perhaps you also consider the photo quality?

You can use a stylus and it looks like it has some good note taking apps. However it is just a regular stylus. It's not pressure sensitive like the S-pen. So maybe the note taking apps are better but you can use the same stylus on the nexus 7.

The problem is that I haven't seen the G pad in the flesh. It has a good resolution on paper and reviews say it has a good resolution, some reviewers even say it's better than the nexus 7's screen. I've seen the nexus 7 and it has a lovely display. From what I've read, maybe the LG's display will be over saturated, similar to the Samsung displays. This is something that I like about Samsung devices, so if it were I'd probably like it.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
The note pro is better in terms of specs but it costs £170 more. Also I'm not fussed about having a stylus as I have the note 3.

----------

You can use a stylus and it looks like it has some good note taking apps. However it is just a regular stylus. It's not pressure sensitive like the S-pen. So maybe the note taking apps are better but you can use the same stylus on the nexus 7.

The problem is that I haven't seen the G pad in the flesh. It has a good resolution on paper and reviews say it has a good resolution, some reviewers even say it's better than the nexus 7's screen. I've seen the nexus 7 and it has a lovely display. From what I've read, maybe the LG's display will be over saturated, similar to the Samsung displays. This is something that I like about Samsung devices, so if it were I'd probably like it.

They both have the same resolution with the G Pad having slightly lower pixel density. Haven't used the G Pad myself but reviews point to it having a good display.

You seem to be leaning towards the G Pad so i won't try and convince otherwise. If i was you i would find out the returns policy from wherever you're looking to purchase the G Pad from.

At the end of the day both tablets measure up very closely in terms of specs, price etc. Seeing as the skin is not a determining factor for you, i guess storage options and form factor are the biggest things separating the two.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
For the price of the LG G Pad, i'd go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, it's a FAR superior tablet at $399 and it comes with a stylus.

I think you're a bit mistaken. The LG Pad 8.3 can be found for significantly less, both in the UK and US than the Tab Pro 8.4. Also, it's a Tab Pro, not a Note Pro, and does not come with the stylus found in the Note devices.

As far a FAR superior, not sure about that--it does have a higher resolution display, a Snapdragon 800 cpu (vs. 600 in the G Pad) and a higher MP camera. It also has TouchWiz. ;) Is that worth an extra $130 (or £170)? Will probably vary between customers.

----------

Google edition!

^^This!! Though I don't believe it's available in the UK. :(

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm now leaning more towards the nexus 7. The thing that's putting me off the Lg G pad is the lack of accessories and support. I'm also unsure as to if and when it will ever get kit kat. I've also been reading that it doesn't have a great battery life. At the end of the day, I've owned the nexus 7 1st gen (given it to my boyfriend) and I liked it. I've seen the 2013 version and was impressed by the screen quality. It has much better software and accessories support. App support is better too.

The LG is an unknown quantity. One of the features I'm most interested in on the G pad is the q pair. However as I have a gakaxy note I'm not sure that all the features would work. I already have an app that allows me to get my calls and texts on other devices. I also have a chromebook, so it would sync up nicely with that.

I could get the 32GB but I don't think I'll use all of the space, as when I had my 2012 nexus I still had 6GB left and had my own ripped DVDs on there, along with all my apps, magazines etc. I also have an on the go cable.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm now leaning more towards the nexus 7. The thing that's putting me off the Lg G pad is the lack of accessories and support. I'm also unsure as to if and when it will ever get kit kat. I've also been reading that it doesn't have a great battery life. At the end of the day, I've owned the nexus 7 1st gen (given it to my boyfriend) and I liked it. I've seen the 2013 version and was impressed by the screen quality. It has much better software and accessories support. App support is better too.

The LG is an unknown quantity. One of the features I'm most interested in on the G pad is the q pair. However as I have a gakaxy note I'm not sure that all the features would work. I already have an app that allows me to get my calls and texts on other devices. I also have a chromebook, so it would sync up nicely with that.

I could get the 32GB but I don't think I'll use all of the space, as when I had my 2012 nexus I still had 6GB left and had my own ripped DVDs on there, along with all my apps, magazines etc. I also have an on the go cable.

I've owned both the Nexus 7 and LG G Pad (GPE). Overall, the Nexus is a great tablet--the only aspect of it that I really didn't like was the size of the display, just too small for my tastes. And while it was only one aspect of the device, it was enough to sway me to switch to the LG. I will admit though that if the GPE wasn't available, I'd probably be typing this on an iPad Mini retina. ;)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
LG G Pad 8.3 vs Nexus 7 2013

GPad. You will appreciate the larger screen. I found the N7 screen awkward in landscape mode.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I've cancelled my order as the courier botched the delivery this morning. I'm not sure if I will order again from another company, get the nexus 7 or get nothing.

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
For me, a 7-inch tablet is just too small for comfortable web browsing, so I would go with the LG.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How did they screw up the delivery?

Well it was supposed to be delivered to a local store for me to collect. Anyhow the couriers are saying that the store refused the delivery when they attempted to deliver it. As a result of this they have to it back to the company that I ordered from. The company that I ordered from said I can either cancel the order or wait for it to be returned which would take 1-2 weeks and then they could resend it again. I chose to cancel the order.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Newegg has posted the same recent discount for the LG Pad. You can go to Best Buy if you have one and they will price match Newegg.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.