Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
I installed bootcamp to be able to run windows games on my Mid-2012 mbp (non-retina). My CPU is the 2.6 quad core i7, I'm sure of that, but I'm not exactly sure which GPU I have.

The specs of my computer say that I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 AND and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. Which one of these two GPU's does Windows use? The game I'm trying to play (Titanfall) will work with well with the NVIDIA card, but not so much with the Intel one. Can somebody explain this stuff to me?

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I installed bootcamp to be able to run windows games on my Mid-2012 mbp (non-retina). My CPU is the 2.6 quad core i7, I'm sure of that, but I'm not exactly sure which GPU I have.

The specs of my computer say that I have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 AND and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory. Which one of these two GPU's does Windows use? The game I'm trying to play (Titanfall) will work with well with the NVIDIA card, but not so much with the Intel one. Can somebody explain this stuff to me?

It will use Nvidia for gaming.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
No, Windows uses the discreet/NVIDIA GPU at all times in Windows.

Where did you see me mentioning the OS ? or where did you see me saying it doesn't use the Nvidia somewhere else ?

I answered his concerns. When gaming, your Nvidia card will be used.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Where did you see me mentioning the OS ? or where did you see me saying it doesn't use the Nvidia somewhere else ?

I answered his concerns. When gaming, your Nvidia card will be used.

Under Boot Camp, the Intel Integrated HD4000 will NOT be seen. It's a limitation of the firmware. For Windows, or any other OS like Linux, the nVidia GeForce 650M will be used. Only under OS X will you have a switching ability.

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Under Boot Camp, the Intel Integrated HD4000 will NOT be seen. It's a limitation of the firmware. For Windows, or any other OS like Linux, the nVidia GeForce 650M will be used. Only under OS X will you have a switching ability.

So this confirms what IA64 said, correct? And I don't really think of it as a limitation since the nVidia seems to be powerful (for gaming at least).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.