Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys, I'm about to upgrade to iOS 7.0.6 and jailbreak it afterwards. I was wondering, what would be the best method of backing up my Cydia tweaks & apps?

Slumpey

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Charlotte
iPhone 5s Cydia Backup

This is what I use with no issues.

'OpenBackup' to backup and restore Cydia apps/tweaks and 'Source Saver' to backup and restore Cydia repos.

Both are FREE and work with 5s and 7.0.6

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

'OpenBackup' to backup and restore Cydia apps/tweaks and 'Source Saver' to backup and restore Cydia repos.

Another vote for OpenBackup, at least for backing up DEB installers. I've even posted a tutorial on how its command-line utility should be used, should you encounter GUI crashes, at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18799825/

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

How well does it work with paid packages with you? I did the back up and I'm currently going through the deb files and i don't see my overboard in there. Im guessing since the dev put good crack protection on it this app can't back it up?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
How well does it work with paid packages with you? I did the back up and I'm currently going through the deb files and i don't see my overboard in there. Im guessing since the dev put good crack protection on it this app can't back it up?

OpenBackup uses standard apt calls (specifically, apt-get). Everything apt is able to fetch is fetchable by OpenBackup.

In my case, it has always been able to fetch all the paid-for packages. I've purchased many; however, unfortunately, Overboard isn't one of them so I couldn't test this myself. However, given that I have never had any problems with fetching the commercial DEB files from the same dev with OpenBackup (I've even provided proof of this in the second screenshot in the post I linked to above), I do think you have a local problem.

What happens if you run "backupdebs" (the script OpenBackup uses for fetching DEB files) in the command line? Can you post the full console output of the script (as I've did above)? Based on that, I could be able to pinpoint the cause for the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.