Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hi everyone. I was about to shut down my iMac when I saw this message pop up on my screen.

"This computer's local hostname '---- iMac.local' is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to.."........-iMac-2.local'"

Why would this happen? I did recently upgrade my HDD to a 3TB one and cloned my original drive. Would this be the reason? Thanks for your help.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This usually happens when a ghost of your machine is on the network. A way to fix it is to uncheck the "Wake for network access" box in the Energy Saver pref pane. This is not something to worry about.

Reactions: macme77

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
This usually happens when a ghost of your machine is on the network. A way to fix it is to uncheck the "Wake for network access" box in the Energy Saver pref pane. This is not something to worry about.

Hey Intell. Well what you said definitely worked. Thanks!

oscarmacca

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008

Worked for me on Mavericks 10.9.1, thanks.

Foirest Cooch

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2014

Did not work for me I'm afraid, on 10.8.5. It may be nothing to worry about, but seeing the same alert every morning gets tiresome.

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.