Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

World Wrestling Entertainment today announced that its WWE Network channel is now live on the Apple TV and its updated WWE app is available in the iOS App Store [Direct Link]. WWE subscribers will have full access to the 24/7 live streaming network, which includes replays of classic matches, pay-per-view events like WrestleMania and other original programming.
"Today is a historic day for WWE as we transform and reimagine how we deliver our premium live content and 24/7 programming directly to our fans around the world," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman & Chief Executive Officer. "WWE Network will provide transformative growth for our company and unprecedented value for our fans."
wwe_apple_tv_home.jpg
At launch, WWE Network programming is available only to U.S. customers, with access coming to other countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Nordics before early 2015. The service requires a $9.99 monthly subscription with a six-month minimum commitment. Customers can demo the channel using a free one-week trial, which is available for a limited time.

wwe_apple_tv_itunes.jpg
Fans can sign up for the newly launched WWE Network on the service's website or via iTunes from the Apple TV or WWE app. Customers who signup for the WWE Network automatically receive one free week before they are billed for the service.

Article Link: World Wrestling Entertainment Channel Now Available for iOS and Apple TV

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
so much Junk on the home screen of Apple TV, would love the ability to delete channels (I know you can set Parental Controls, but...)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
so much Junk on the home screen of Apple TV, would love the ability to delete channels (I know you can set Parental Controls, but...)

So "hide" it in Parental controls and move on with your day.
bitch bitch bitch... :rolleyes:

----------

SWEET! I CAN pay through iTunes... Just picked up some discounted iTunes cards from Best Buy last week! Deal city! Makes subscribing to Netflix and now WWE Network an even better deal!

----------

FYI... the WWE Network isn't working right now. :p

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
I'm sure they'll change the interface if they are ever able to offer a catered television service.. right?

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
What's with all the stupid channels putting "WATCH" above the name of their channel? I'm surprised Apple allows this. I'm in marketing, so I understand the value of a strong call to action. However, we're already using Apple TV, so it's implicit that all the icons are channels that we can "WATCH". Do app icons put "OPEN" or "RUN" above their name? Do we really need to see "WATCH Disney" instead of just "Disney"?

I wouldn't mind not being able to remove of these icons if they weren't so ugly and promotional. Not to mention, they almost all require a cable subscription, which I do not have and do not want.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Awesome. I've been waiting forever. This is huge news for the entertainment industry and especially pro wrestling fans such as myself. Vince McMahan has always been brave enough to take the necessary steps to evolve with the times. Great job, WWE.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Not a fan anymore, but it is definitely a great idea. Hopefully they are not the last ones to do this. All TV should move in this direction.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Pro Wrestling? Well, okay I guess. I will take this as another indicator that Apple is building critical mass to finally release the fabled iTV (or whatever it gets called). But seriously, Pro Wrestling? Maybe just me but that is definitely a channel that I did not see as high priority for the ATV.:confused:

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
While it's nice to have the option of a model of individual app subscription, I don't think it works for me. So, if you want 10 channel-apps with an average of $10 subscription for each per month, it would cost to much to me. I would never get rid of my cable for that!

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
What's with all the stupid channels putting "WATCH" above the name of their channel? I'm surprised Apple allows this. I'm in marketing, so I understand the value of a strong call to action. However, we're already using Apple TV, so it's implicit that all the icons are channels that we can "WATCH". Do app icons put "OPEN" or "RUN" above their name? Do we really need to see "WATCH Disney" instead of just "Disney"?

I wouldn't mind not being able to remove of these icons if they weren't so ugly and promotional. Not to mention, they almost all require a cable subscription, which I do not have and do not want.

Seems to be an ABC/ESPN thing as just their associated brands have them...and inconsistent at that.

yes, very ugly. as if you would simply sit and stare at that icon. there aren't games or news stories to read on their channels. not like you can get the scoop on any new shows or celebrities/actors on the network. nope it is simply a watching tool.

I really wish with some of the channels (like ABC) you wouldn't need a cable subscription since you don't need to one to watch OTA TV from them. one thing for the cable-only channels but still, show some content

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Please Apple, stop adding ridiculous channels until you have solved this interface problem. I can't remember but when did they start adding channels To the atv? 2011?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
While it's nice to have the option of a model of individual app subscription, I don't think it works for me. So, if you want 10 channel-apps with an average of $10 subscription for each per month, it would cost to much to me. I would never get rid of my cable for that!

Maybe they'd be less. Like HBO, and premium channels are sometimes offered at $5/month through Fios. The lesser the amount per channel the easier it is to simply add channels, but a higher price means some would be wary to buy the channel.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
If nothing else, this is an interesting model for entertainment to keep an eye on and see how they do. Others (in other sports, or something else) may imitate this.

I wish this was around 15 years ago, when I liked wrestling. Considering one single Pay Per View is $50, this is a steal at $60 per 6 months. I don't even watch wrestling, but I am tempted. I won't buy it, but live streaming Pay Per Views, and a vault of classic matches is tempting. :cool:

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

Agreed that it looks ugly. I think the "watch" label is ABC/Disney family of channel's 'clever' way to let you know that you will be watching a Live TV stream, just as if you turn to the channel on your TV/cable box. This is to differentiate it from apps that are like Hulu, or something similar that offer on demand shows. In this case, the word "Live" instead of "Watch" would be more appropriate.

This saves people from renting a second cable box for their second TV from the cable company since they can just authenticate their account on the Apple TV.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Be still my beating heart! Or, more accurately, give us iPlayer and the rest of the UK TVOD content!!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.