Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Waiting to get it right. In the Steve Jobs bio, it claims that the iPad was actually what Steve was after and put it on hold to get the iPhone done. So it really did take a while to get the iPad right. I think there is always a need to balance the time to market requirement with quality and design. Clearly, others are content on trying to be the first to market with whatever and hoping that it sticks. And that obviously puts pressure on apple as they seem to be lethargic by comparison. I would even admit to occasional feature envy. But in large part, I almost always find that the wait is worth it as the well thought out design and quality just seems to fit. (I did say almost always, after all they ain't perfect).

HBD to Jobs. And here is hoping that we will soon see some really well thought out and high quality products from Tim and Jony.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Happy Birthday MacRumors!:D

Where else would a twit like me have the opportunity to be an annoying pedant with such a potentially large audience for my foolishness.:p

Excelsior! :cool:

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
One of the problems with having a larger than life persona at the head of a company is that people's perceptions get all distorted.

Because, while Steve was at the helm, everything went perfect, no products had flaws and everything was puppies and champaign.

Steve's reality distortion field even works from the grave.

When he was alive, I felt Apple was different. Not so much now.

I don't idolize him, I just like the company's products.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
"Life punishes those who delay."
-- Mikhail Gorbachev

Others are already shipping products. Why wait for products from Apple that are not even announced but merely rumored?

Just like Apple wasn't the first to release a smartphone and the whole iPhone thing became a huge flop?

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
"Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right."

Yet it's been rush jobs and garbage ever since his death. We miss you Steve.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Who knows how much of SJ involvement was in during the development of the latest Mac Pro. But lets just say for a moment that he didn't have any involvement. The amount of detail and thought that was put into this machine is truly incredible. I realize that there are 2 side of arguments for this machine, Some love it and some hate it with a passion, the fact remains though...Apple can still turn out beautiful devices and they take the time to (usually) get it right!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
When he was alive, I felt Apple was different. Not so much now.

I don't idolize him, I just like the company's products.

All you are really saying is that Steve was a rock star, and Tim is not. We know. Few companies are ever run by rock stars, and if any company can only be run by a rock star, then they are... doomed.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
"Life punishes those who delay."
-- Mikhail Gorbachev

Others are already shipping products. Why wait for products from Apple that are not even announced but merely rumored?

If you're referring to a Smart Watch, who's waiting on Apple? I'm just waiting for something worth buying.

Even when Apple brings one to the market, it's going to have to do something that is worth the price.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Happy 14th Birthday MacRumors!

Does this mean the site can get it's Learners Permit and start driving on the roads?

signs

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Tim Cook is legit, and is putting most puzzle pieces in the proper place @ Apple.

Yeah, in his own way, when Tim says Apple's mission is to make great products, there's deep meaning behind it, just like with SJ.

Now, with Apple expanding into new categories, it's no wonder it's getting ever more complicated to tell the right story to consumers about everything, all the time.

I like the idea always seemingly pushed by SJ, to bring the user as close as possible to understanding why things are done, and why they are great. It's what made if feel as if something great was always happening. It's part of what drove me towards and kept me going towards tech to begin with. That there were more details than were told also helped.

Less focus on details, and there's less story to tell and discover, less meaning.

With the manic pace at SJ's Apple, you could sort of intuit that there was a plan, and you didn't know it, and it was going to be great. Was every detail perfect? No, but enough for you to understand - that they understood.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I like Tim and am not a troll.

But I do find it ironic and darkly humorous that after reading up on the "go to fail" debacle, and anxiously awaiting the flaw to be fixed in OS X before I change all my passwords and those of my mother and other family members, that I see Tim's quote: "details matter".... Sigh.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
I like Tim and am not a troll.

But I do find it ironic and darkly humorous that after reading up on the "go to fail" debacle, and anxiously awaiting the flaw to be fixed in OS X before I change all my passwords and those of my mother and other family members, that I see Tim's quote: "details matter".... Sigh.

TC is hiding behind Steve today.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More substance to it than about 80% of what we see posted here. So that tells you something.

Tells me that MR knew a tweet using the phrase "details matter" would get lots of hits right now. And they also know plenty of posters don't much care for Cook so put the two together and you get mega hits. That is until Samsung's new phone is announced. :D

----------

TC is hiding behind Steve today.

Tim Cook sending a couple tweets on Steve's birthday is "hiding behind Steve"? Good grief. :rolleyes:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Remembering Steve on his birthday: "Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right."

Really Tim? So why the f did you rush iOS7? And Mavericks? And iTunes11?

Just once I'd like to see one of those who like to throw darts at everything deploy a successful software rollout to millions of people with no bugs. I'm sure you could get it perfect the first time.

Not a damn thing wrong with any of those products. iOS7 was stable for me in beta 3. Mavericks is so much more stable than Mountain Lion ever was, and it rocked.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Is this going to happen every year? Fans remembering a dead billionaires birthday who they have never met?

Seriously, move on, and that goes for Apple too, they need to move away from Steve Jobs, look to the future.

And as for the hypocritical 'Details Matter'! Yeah, stop trying to float Steve Jobs when you can't even make a decent software update to your biggest customer base! As i was reminded again last night updating the iPad 3 to the latest iOS7 rubbish, and seeing that wonderful lag when the screen rotates.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.