Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Sues Chinese Government Agency and Shanghai Company Over Siri-Related Patents

Apple is suing both a Chinese government agency and a Shanghai technology business over patents involving the company's Siri voice assistant, said Xinhua, the official state press agency of the People's Republic of China (via AFP).
Quote:
Apple launched the case against the State Intellectual Property Office, which is in charge of patent rights protection in China, and Shanghai's Zhizhen Network Technology, which developed software similar to Siri, the report said.
This lawsuit involves a voice recognition patent owned by Zhizhen that covers its Xiaoi chat robot system. Xiaoi began in 2003 as a chat bot for MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and other similar chat networks. It has expanded to other platforms including iOS and Android, where it bears a striking similarity to Siri.

Zhizhen was awarded patent rights for the underlying Xiaoi technology in 2006 and used these rights in 2012 to sue Apple for patent infringement. The case was heard in July 2013, but a decision from the Shanghai court was never announced. Apple failed to block Zhizhen's infringement claim when a request to invalidate the company's voice recognition patent was denied by the State Intellectual Property Office

The first hearing in this latest case will be held later this week.

Article Link: Apple Sues Chinese Government Agency and Shanghai Company Over Siri-Related Patents
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Nanasaki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple is suing both a Chinese government agency and a Shanghai technology business over patents involving the company's Siri voice assistant, said Xinhua, the official state press agency of the People's Republic of China (Via AFP). This lawsuit involves a voice recognition patent owned by Zhizhen that covers its Xiaoi chat robot system. Xiaoi began in 2003 as a chat bot for MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and other similar chat networks. It has expanded to other platforms including iOS and Android, where it bears a striking similarity to Siri.

YouTube: video
Zhizhen was awarded patent rights for the underlying Xiaoi technology in 2006 and used these rights in 2012 to sue Apple for patent infringement. The case was heard in July 2013, but a decision from the Shanghai court was never announced. Apple failed to block Zhizhen's infringement claim when a request to invalidate the company's voice recognition patent was denied by the State Intellectual Property Office

Article Link: Apple Sues Chinese Government Agency and Shanghai Company Over Siri-Related Patents
Good luck for Apple for suing Chinese government... As Chinese lived in China for more than 25 years, I know you could sue everyone in China but government and government affiliated.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3
mrben
macrumors newbie

Yeah good luck with that. Many others have tried and failed...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:04 PM   #4
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

Suing the Chinese government? Uh, Apple better get Kenny Loggins on the phone. They're in the Danger Zone.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:09 PM   #5
aajeevlin
macrumors 6502

China? Patents? Sue the government? I had no idea those things actually goes together....
aajeevlin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:09 PM   #6
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

That should really help Apple's China Mobile sales...
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:09 PM   #7
bushido
macrumors 603

next thing you know Apple is gonna sue North Korea for their Kim OS. lolol
bushido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Shane1905
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
next thing you know Apple is gonna sue North Korea for their Kim OS. lolol
I can see it now, Tim floating around in the shark tank whilst the illustrious leader and king of stylish hair looks on with pride.
Shane1905 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

Ok so after asking for the map to be open. What did he ask for? What ever it was seems like Chinese Siri was reading it.
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 07:47 PM   #10
krravi
macrumors 65816

Did they misspell "State Intellectual Property Office"? More like "State Intellectual Theft Office".
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:07 PM   #11
tongxinshe
macrumors 6502

What is Apple thinking? According to this article, Xiaoi started operating years before Siri was introduced, and Apple is still suing???!!!
tongxinshe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

All court documents presented by Apple will end up in the Shredding File cabinet.
This is a dead end for sure, unless a miracle happens.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:58 AM   #13
catcat2020
macrumors newbie

Who should sue?

If I read the post correctly, the facts are:

1. Xiaoi began in 2003 as a chat bot for MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and other similar chat networks
2. Zhizhen was awarded patent rights for the underlying Xiaoi technology in 2006

3. (from Wikipedia) Siri was originally introduced as an iOS application available in the App Store by Siri, Inc., which was acquired by Apple on April 28, 2010.[4] Siri, Inc.

as an Apple fan, I got my first gen iPhone in 2007 and Siri was only introduced as beta in iPhone 4S (2011), so who should sue who?
catcat2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 04:55 AM   #14
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
What is Apple thinking? According to this article, Xiaoi started operating years before Siri was introduced, and Apple is still suing???!!!
Yeah, but when was Siri first patented by Dag Kittlaus of SRI International with technology from Nuance, all this well before Siri's introduction on the iPhone??

Can't seem to Google that info, but I seem to remember (perhaps incorrectly) that the above was the way it went down.

Either way, even if Apple was justified in suing the Chinese, I'd say "Good luck with that!"
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:08 AM   #15
Beautyspin
macrumors member

Wanted to post but

Wanted to post a Good luck with that message - but there were so many.. I did not - sort of!!!
Beautyspin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:10 AM   #16
kdarling
macrumors G5

Man, we all should have been Apple patent lawyers.

Or maybe a weatherman on TV.

Either way, we'd get paid whether our actions made sense or not!
kdarling is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:42 AM   #17
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple is suing both a Chinese government agency and a Shanghai technology business over patents involving the company's Siri voice assistant, said Xinhua, the official state press agency of the People's Republic of China (via AFP). This lawsuit involves a voice recognition patent owned by Zhizhen that covers its Xiaoi chat robot system. Xiaoi began in 2003 as a chat bot for MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and other similar chat networks. It has expanded to other platforms including iOS and Android, where it bears a striking similarity to Siri.

YouTube: video

Ah yis! this stuff is funny!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:55 AM   #18
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrben View Post
Yeah good luck with that. Many others have tried and failed...
"Tried and failed?"
"No, tried and died."

Srry but that sentence above reminded me of the interchange in Dune.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion