Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Reveals Galaxy S5 With Home Button Fingerprint Sensor, Accompanying 'Gear Fit' Band

Samsung today revealed its next-generation Galaxy S5 flagship phone at its Unpacked 5 event at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain. As rumored, the 5.1-inch Galaxy S5 includes a fingerprint sensor built into the device's home button, mirroring Apple's own Touch ID introduced with the iPhone 5s.

Unlike Touch ID, which utilizes a round home button that captures a motionless fingerprint, Samsung's sensor is activated using a swiping motion that scans the finger from base to tip as the phone utilizes a rectangular home button. SlashGear has a demonstration of the fingerprint scanner.

Quote:
Samsung is working with PayPal on integrating it into mobile payments, too, so that you could effectively buy apps, products, and services and authorize the transaction with a fingertip rather than a password or PIN. We found the hit-rate for the scanner recognizing our fingers was relatively high, though you do have to line your fingertip up properly: the Galaxy S5 prefers a clean downward swipe, not a sideways movement such as if you're holding the phone one-handed and sweeping your thumb across the sensor.
Design-wise, the polycarbonate Samsung Galaxy S5 looks similar to previous models, though it has a unique soft-touch textured backing, a water resistant casing, and it comes in both blue and copper gold along with black and white.

The 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display features a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and the phone offers a 2.5GHz quad core processor with 2GB of memory. It runs Android KitKat 4.4.2 and includes an upgraded 16-megapixel camera with quick autofocus and real-time HDR. It has a 20 percent better battery life than the previous generation phone and includes a built-in power saving mode that will activate a black and white display with limited app access when the battery is low.

Taking a cue from Apple's reported interest in health-related applications, Samsung has included a heart rate sensor next to the camera's flash, able to measure heart rate with a finger on the sensor. The heart rate sensor accompanies the standard accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, compass and an IR-based gesture sensor.

Samsung's Galaxy S5 is also designed to work with a new fitness device, the Gear Fit, which accompanies Samsung's recently revealed Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo smart watches. The Gear Fit is smaller than Samsung's other offerings and focuses on measuring heart rate and counting steps. It incorporates an AMOLED touchscreen panel and offers smartphone notifications and alerts, but it does not include a camera, a microphone, or a speaker.

The Galaxy S5 and the Gear Fit will both be released in April, but Samsung has yet to announce pricing.

Article Link: Samsung Reveals Galaxy S5 With Home Button Fingerprint Sensor, Accompanying 'Gear Fit' Band
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
ehhhhh it's alright
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:43 PM   #3
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
looks very nice..now do i get the s5 or the 5s??
ZacNicholson is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 PM   #4
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Nice! I like what they are doing with the heart sensor!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 PM   #5
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

From Joanna Stern:

Thumb resize.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
tann
macrumors 65816

I do hope that Apple 'copies' Sony and Samsung and makes the iPhone water resistant to some degree... That'd be badass!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:45 PM   #7
allistera
macrumors regular

I feel that Samsung do the following timetable these days:
  • Watch rumors coming from Apple - Develop & Release a wide range of these hoping they will get a hit
  • Watch apple come out with latest tech
  • Copy that tech - Fingerprint sensor, gold?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:45 PM   #8
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

I don't think it's a home-button scanner for fingerprint. It's on the screen itself. Right?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:45 PM   #9
trecb
macrumors newbie

Well, it’s official: the iPhone 6 will not have a larger display. For a 4.7” screen, it would need a 555 PPI. If Samsung could not increase their PPI beyond 441 for the S5, in fact they even lowered it by a little (and let’s not forget they design and manufacture their own screens, thereby lowering component costs), then Apple will certainly not be able to do so while keeping their high profit margins on their flagship product. I guess we’ll have to put up with the 4” size for at least the next 2 years...
trecb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Peace
macrumors P6

Does anybody really care ?

I certainly don't.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:46 PM   #11
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I must applaud Samsung's efforts to throw everything Apple might do at the wall and see what sticks.
AngerDanger is offline   103 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:47 PM   #12
samcraig
macrumors G5

On the software side - I like that it has a protected mode based on fingerprint access. You can have separate photos, etc.

You can also (with one click) turn over your phone to a child and they only have access to apps you've designated - nothing else.
samcraig is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:47 PM   #13
needfx
macrumors 68000

it's been all go this week for tech companies

oh wait, it's still monday
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:47 PM   #14
Lapidus
macrumors regular

I'm here for the comments.
Lapidus is offline   64 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:48 PM   #15
jonblatho
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Good god, that's hideous. Forget the Band-Aid comparison.
jonblatho is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:48 PM   #16
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by allistera View Post
I feel that Samsung do the following timetable these days:
  • Watch rumors coming from Apple - Develop & Release a wide range of these hoping they will get a hit
  • Watch apple come out with latest tech
  • Copy that tech - Fingerprint sensor, gold?

these phones take 2-3 years to bring to market and the parts makers shop their wares at trade shows and to everyone so everyone has an idea of the features in upcoming phones. no one is copying anyone
alent1234 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:48 PM   #17
BryanElliott
macrumors newbie

Samsung is CLEARLY Apple's biggest fan
BryanElliott is offline   95 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:48 PM   #18
MacLC
macrumors regular

Cyclops?

That clock on the Gear Fit seems 90 degrees off... unless it were a headpiece and then you could look like Cyclops when you wear it
MacLC is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #19
apolloa
macrumors 68040

Meh, looks rather boring and unimaginative to me personally? Nice to see it is waterproofed, something they should ALL be doing, following Sony's lead.

But the S5 has nothing to offer above my Nexus 5 which looks a lot better I think, also Samsung HAS copied the idea of a finger print scanner, NOT in the implementation of one, but with the fact it's been placed into the home button.
apolloa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #20
flash84x
macrumors member

Looks pretty difficult to use the finger print scanner without two hands. Once again, Apple did it the right way.
flash84x is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #21
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

That watch look almost as bad as the first one. The new Pebble looks amazing in comparison. In fact even the original Pebble looks amazing in comparison.
everything-i is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #22
Kobayagi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Does anybody really care ?

I certainly don't.
Ah, but you do find time to comment. Interesting. I'd say, if you don't care: don't read, don't comment. Seems easier for everyone.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #23
Essex711
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Essex711
A 2 step process that should only take one step, uh yeah...
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:49 PM   #24
Snookerman
macrumors 6502

such original
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:50 PM   #25
sjjordan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to sjjordan
Did anyone notice that he never tried a finger that wasn't programmed?

Strangely, he used BOTH his thumb and index finger during fingerprint learning. Would have thought that would have given an error message, but didn't.

Makes you skeptical as to how reliable the scanner is at detecting non-self fingerprints.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion