Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Communications chip maker Broadcom today announced a new 5G Wi-Fi Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed for smartphones, bringing 802.11ac connectivity with 2x2 MIMO to mobile devices.

The Broadcom BCM4354 chip marks the first implementation of 2x2 MIMO for smartphones, bringing up to twice the Wi-Fi performance with 25 percent more power efficiency than the current 1x1 MIMO chips.

5g_wifi_logo.jpg
Some smartphones, such as the Galaxy Note 3 from Samsung have previously incorporated 802.11ac Wi-Fi using single stream chips such as the BCM4335 from Broadcom, but the new chip uses two spatial streams for speeds up to 867 Mbps.

MIMO is a technology that uses multiple antennas for both the transmitter and the receiver to improve communication performance. Apple first adopted MIMO technology for the iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retina display.

Broadcom's chip also uses the newer 802.11ac Wi-Fi protocol for transferring data, which is considered "Gigabit Wi-Fi" with transfer speeds up to three times as fast as 802.11n networks. With the addition of Broadcom's Transmit Beamforming technology, photo and video uploads can be twice as fast at crowded events.
In addition, Broadcom's Transmit Beamforming (TxBF) technology further improves rate over range performance in congested environments for data-intense applications. Photo and video uploads to social networking sites, for example, will be twice as fast in crowded sporting events or concert venues.
Apple uses Broadcom's technology in its line of Macs that support 802.11ac, including the newest MacBook Air, Retina MacBook Pro, and iMac. Broadcom also provides the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chips for Apple's iPhones, so it is possible that the iPhone 6 will feature Broadcom's newest chip, marking the first iPhone with 802.11ac support. Previous iPhone 6 rumors have also pointed to 802.11ac support.

Article Link: Broadcom Announces New 5G 802.11ac Wi-Fi Chip for Smartphones

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
For when 4G's are not enough.
Also, that kerning on WiFi is unnerving.

Last edited:

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
The next thing that android phone makers can tout about on a specs page but no one will benefit from for a few years..

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Creative marketing (to call it 5G). Great, it has receiver and transmit diversity to reach WiFi speeds no phone could ever take advantage of anyway.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Considering no one has the bandwidth to take advantage of 802.11n routers, I doubt AC is all that significant right now.

What good is a fast WiFi protocol when bandwidth is the bottleneck?

The best I can get piped to my house is 105 Mbps. My several year old 802.11n Airport is capable of 3x that speed.

Got any other ideas, Broadcom?

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Faster data is always welcome. But it costs me $30 to download an iTunes movie rental on AT&T. ($15/GB)

Someone needs to start offering data rates that make sense with modern usage. That's where we need new tech and competition.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Are they seriously applying the term "5G" to wifi? Do these people not give a damn how confusing this will be to consumers? Do we need to file a class action suit, or will someone in either the FCC or FTC step in and require them to stop using misleading marketing?

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Whence 1-4G WiFi?

Am I the only one who doesn't recall ever seeing any type of WiFi branded with a "#G" label? Feels like they are trying to copy the marketing of cellular technology generations. (And making it sound really good by calling it 5G when cell phones are merely at 4G.)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I really hope this will be use in an iPhone 6, and Apple would finally made Airdrop between iOS and Mac available.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Finally. Bring it on to this year's iOS devices. My Airport Time Capsule AC is waiting and I am hoping this will vastly improve Airplay performance for gaming :)

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Creative marketing (to call it 5G). Great, it has receiver and transmit diversity to reach WiFi speeds no phone could ever take advantage of anyway.

But it is the 5th Gen wi-fi, isn`t it? a, b, g, n, ac. Not to be confused with 5G cellular.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Am I the only one who doesn't recall ever seeing any type of WiFi branded with a "#G" label? Feels like they are trying to copy the marketing of cellular technology generations. (And making it sound really good by calling it 5G when cell phones are merely at 4G.)

Well I see that only just about everyone managed to comment on that between the time I read the comments and wrote the above. :eek:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
We'll see this in an iPhone in about 6 years.

Faster data is always welcome. But it costs me $30 to download an iTunes movie rental on AT&T. ($15/GB)

Someone needs to start offering data rates that make sense with modern usage. That's where we need new tech and competition.

Maybe 5G will move up and be implemented before 2020.

Until every data providers offer unlimited data this is really useless.

This blood is on your hands, Broadcom.

But it is the 5th Gen wi-fi, isn`t it? a, b, g, n, ac. Not to be confused with 5G cellular.

No, it's the sixth revision. 'a' is the second. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocol

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Considering no one has the bandwidth to take advantage of 802.11n routers, I doubt AC is all that significant right now.

The best I can get piped to my house is 105 Mbps. My several year old 802.11n Airport is capable of 3x that speed.

Google seems to be working on that.

At least in a few selected cities. :)

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley

Not all of one's data transferring has to be to/from the Internet. The increased bandwidth could be noticeable for transfers between other devices on your local network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.