Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
I don't think johnny I've had input on this one

I hope this isn't indicative of apples new design direction...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I think its the fist time MacRumors has come to a unanimous decision here.

This thing is hideous and should never exist

13astion

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2010
Okay, apart from the unnecessary phallic-ness, it's not bad

So, the letters in a particular font are there because of Steve's original obsession with typeface, design, and art in general.

The numbers are there to, obviously, represent the binary foundations of his computer-based technology.

Both symbolize language (that of humans and computers), which is a requirement for ANYTHING to happen. Ideas only move from one brain to another through communication -- language. Same with computers.

"We’ve always tried to be at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, to be able to get the best of both, to make extremely advanced products from a technology point of view, but also have them be intuitive, easy to use, fun to use, so that they really fit the users..." -Steve Jobs

This quote is one of his last things to give Apple and its customers as far as his vision. And what was the image behind him when he said these things? An intersection of sorts, but even more so, a signpost. Signs -- again, language and communication.

To some degree, this statue even resembles a signpost. Still, I agree that the one and zero could have been done in a less phallic way...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Fugly. Not tasteful.

10 to 16 feet tall??

Seems a bit imprudent if you ask me. He was an amazing person, no doubt, but a symbolic 16 foot shrine?

So that you can't see how badly the sculptor messed up the head. ;)

AlanAlan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
It is not surprising that Cyrillic letters crop up in some works by Serbian artists. It is surprising that Cyrillic letters appear in this sculture -- representing an American without meaningful connection to the Cyrillic alphabet. For an American audience, the one and the zero are perhaps the only meaningful reference to Jobs' work. At best the reference is minimal, at worst it is trite. Of course, Jobs was not a programmer or engineer and not one to dabble with ones and zeros directly. The devices which represent the culmination of his life's work place a great distance between the end user and their binary underpinnings. Perhaps it is apt that Steve's head rests well above the "01" in this sculpture. None the less, perching a head on a tall stake is an odd attempt at reverence.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
"Apple executives, who said they were very interested in the sculpture and liked "the imperfections of his work"."

Makes perfect sense because Steve Jobs was a perfectionist. Wait, that doesn't make sense...

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Art is subjective. Personally i don't dig contemporary art like this. Most of it just doesn't evoke emotion for me on any level. I am sure there are plenty of people who have an opinion that differs from mine. I could absolutely see this in a museum like MOCA in LA though. Last time I was there i had to stop myself from laughing at times so not to be disrespectful.

----------

That would have been hilarious.

sigmadog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
just west of Idaho
Is this a hoax?

I would have preferred something that expressed Jobs' sense of design and desire for perfection.

This piece has the look of randomness and disorder. It doesn't honor his memory at all - it stands in opposition to it.

P.O.S.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
First of all, Steve was a pioneer of typography...ARABIC numeral typography and the GREEK alphabet, NOT CYRILLIC...

This sculpture is absolutely abominable.

The head looks nothing like Steve, and all of this "artistic cyrillic numeral" garbage going on here makes the piece look like Steve is an alien from outer space....it is a weird disproportional abstract piece of junk that SHOULD NOT be in Cupertino....it looks like an fifth grader could have designed this thing.

Some of the busts in the NFL Hall of Fame look much better and more lifelike than this, and more representative to the person being honored/portrayed.

Instead, Apple commissions some foreigner to design a commemorative bust honoring an an AMERICAN icon....

I wonder how long it takes for the folks at Apple to realize that this is an eyesore already!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.