Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple hiring numerous medical professionals for its rumored iWatch project, and many new fitness and other types of health-related devices coming to market, wearable health-data tracking devices are proving extremely popular.

sunspriteapp.jpg
A new device launching today on IndieGogo is SunSprite, a wearable device that measures the amount of visible and UV light that the wearer is exposed to in order to help users avoid health issues related to a lack of exposure to sunlight, such as seasonal affective disorder or winter depression.

The solar-powered SunSprite tracks the amount of visible and UV light the wearer is exposed to. Because of its built-in solar sensors, it never needs recharging, using ambient light to gather electricity to power its Bluetooth LE connection to the iPhone. The company is planning to manufacturer the SunSprite at a factory in the United States, as well.

The company behind the SunSprite says that proper exposure to sunlight improves energy, sleep, mood, focus, stress, and more, with Harvard Medical School professors on staff to back up the science [PDF].

Getting bright light at the right time of day is clinically proven to boost your energy and help you sleep better. See Bright Light & the Human Brain below for more information on the science behind SunSprite and bright light.

SunSprite's dual sensors measure the brightness of both visible and UV light so you can make sure you're getting the right amount of light -- enough visible light to be healthy while avoiding too many harmful UV rays. SunSprite's LED display (as well as its smartphone app) can tell you if the light you're in is bright enough to be beneficial.
The SunSprite is available for preorder through IndieGoGo for $99, a 33 percent discount off its estimated $149 final retail price. The company estimates it will to ship to backers in June of this year.

Article Link: 'SunSprite' Solar-Powered Bluetooth Device Measures Optimal Sun Exposure

kaseyrussell

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
Is sunlight new? Nope. What is? Incandescent lighting, getting to work before it's light out, and spending all day in a 200 lux office...

erthquake

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Anyone know if you can use a raspberry pi with a bluetooth dongle to get at the raw data? It'd be cool if students could hack it and create their own data stream and display for it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am waiting for a wearable device that attaches to my nostrils, analyzing my breathing pattern to help me breath more optimally.

iPhD

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
While I agree with the comments above, let's look at it from the perspective of folks who've dealt with melanoma and have to be very wary of getting too much sun.
"It's a beautiful day … just a few more minutes … then I'll go inside." Do that too often and that freckle may become a much bigger deal. An objective timer/reminder never hurt anyone.

'cept for HAL 2000. He got mean.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I immediately thought of those U.S. PSAs telling kids to "Get Out and Play an Hour a Day." I think Shrek was in them?

Weird world we've got here.

(And one with a nice depleted ozone layer to fry us if we forget the gross slimy sunscreen.)

EDIT: Yep, Shrek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7TQ3bUaYGQ

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
who needs innovation when you have cynicism?

wow, you guys have it all figured out! as long as someone doesn't work in an office for 50+ hours a week, have kids, or a mounting list of commitments & responsibilities (like the cynical know-it-alls on tech forums that sit around making snarky comments all day) they should have PLENTY of time to wander around outside like a hobo, whenever they feel like it, and get all the sunlight they need! and you guys bring up another good point: these HIGH MINDED DREAMERS with their "fancy ideas" for making the world a better place, by helping the LOSERS who suffer from depression/S.A.D., should all go to hell! anyone with half a brain knows that if you want to make your life better, just troll the macrumors forums to see what advice the geniuses there have. they know EVERYthing! and it's so simple, too!

man, i hate do-gooders. thank god steve jobs never had any crazy ideas about "changing the world".

i am DEFINITELY gonna bookmark this page for the next time i need some good life advice.

thanks, fellas!

I was just going to say this. I don't think our "ancestors" had this device. Just go outside and enjoy life. If you get too hot go inside.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
awesome, i mean how did people survive without it for thousands of years.

They broiled to a crisp slathered with baby oil OR perhaps all of those missing persons just sublimated! :eek: (Kinda like 'the rapture' without the letdown)

----------

BTW, everyone see the Team page?
Looks like they need this device! (all look pasty white)

No, they don't need this, they would just spend the time looking at it. They need to get out during the daylight and see what the world looks like from more than a laboratory window... ;)

Plus, this needs Bluetooth! Everyone knows they will sell millions more if it had Bluetooth... :D

macs4nw

macrumors 601
awesome, i mean how did people survive without it for thousands of years.

Life was simple then….when the sun went down, and the fires went out, or later, the candles finished burning, people went to sleep…..

But seriously, I see potential for this product, and especially the UV sensor is very helpful to people with a fair complexion, who are more susceptible to skin cancer.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
This is the kind of thing that only makes sense as an additional sensor on a device that already incorporates many other health tracking options. As a standalone, makes no sense.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
wow, you guys have it all figured out! as long as someone doesn't work in an office for 50+ hours a week, have kids, or a mounting list of commitments & responsibilities (like the cynical know-it-alls on tech forums that sit around making snarky comments all day) they should have PLENTY of time to wander around outside like a hobo, whenever they feel like it, and get all the sunlight they need! and you guys bring up another good point: these HIGH MINDED DREAMERS with their "fancy ideas" for making the world a better place, by helping the LOSERS who suffer from depression/S.A.D., should all go to hell! anyone with half a brain knows that if you want to make your life better, just troll the macrumors forums to see what advice the geniuses there have. they know EVERYthing! and it's so simple, too!

man, i hate do-gooders. thank god steve jobs never had any crazy ideas about "changing the world".

i am DEFINITELY gonna bookmark this page for the next time i need some good life advice.

thanks, fellas!

thats not the point. its that you shouldn't need a sensor to tell you something natural.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Right, like those pointless heart monitors or useless insulin level detectors, all measuring "natural" stuff.

I think your insulin levels and skin are a little different, you can feel yourself burning on the beach, you won't know if you have low insulin.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I think your insulin levels and skin are a little different, you can feel yourself burning on the beach, you won't know if you have low insulin.

Wow. You are stubbornly refusing to acknowledge your ignorance, clinging to the idea that the inventors if this device must know less than you. However, A) people CAN have some idea of their insulin levels without using a device, but like many things it's way better to use technology, B) sunburn is highly dangerous, to certain individuals and by the time people see/feel it's effects, the damage is often ALREADY done, and C) people have NO natural way to know if they've been exposed to enough therapeutic levels of sunlight to prevent depression/S.A.D, an often serious and crippling disease. Despite these FACTS that disrupt your casual opinions, maybe the inventors of this device should check with you next time they are thinking of doing something to help people, to make sure you approve.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Wow. You are stubbornly refusing to acknowledge your ignorance, clinging to the idea that the inventors if this device must know less than you. However, A) people CAN have some idea of their insulin levels without using a device, but like many things it's way better to use technology, B) sunburn is highly dangerous, to certain individuals and by the time people see/feel it's effects, the damage is often ALREADY done, and C) people have NO natural way to know if they've been exposed to enough therapeutic levels of sunlight to prevent depression/S.A.D, an often serious and crippling disease. Despite these FACTS that disrupt your casual opinions, maybe the inventors of this device should check with you next time they are thinking of doing something to help people, to make sure you approve.

They should check with me. I will be sure not to buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.