Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a new TV4 Play channel to the Apple TV in Sweden, giving Swedish customers access to the TV 4 Play service that includes live broadcasting, original programming, and full episodes of TV4 Group shows. While content is available for free, premium subscribers have access to additional shows and movies.

tv4play.jpg
With 'TV4 Play 'on Apple TV, full episodes of current TV4 Group shows are available to watch for up to 7 days after their original air date. 'TV4 Play Premium' subscribers in Sweden can access an extensive library of additional content with most current and previously aired episodes available for a longer time period.
Along with access to content, the channel offers a personalized list of favorite shows and a "resume play" option to allow a show to be paused and resumed at any time. While the number of HD shows are currently limited, TV4 Group expects to add additional HD shows in the coming months.

TV4 is a Swedish television network that broadcasts news, sports, sitcoms, films, documentaries, and more. TV4 Play is the video-on-demand service for the network and is also available via an iTunes app. [Direct Link]

In addition to the TV4 Play channel for Swedish users, there are several other country specific Apple TV channels, including Sky Sports in the U.K., Watchever in Germany, and CANALPLAY in France.

Article Link: Apple Adds Streaming Television Channel 'TV4 Play' to Apple TV in Sweden

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Before any complaints about not being able to hide it, yes you can!. Go in Settings -> General -> Restrictions, then change it's value to "hide" or "hidden" or whatever.

You're welcome!

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Hmm, does the Apple TV have BBC iPlayer yet? Getting that would definitely make me buy one again!

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Can't bust the US market, the cable companies won't allow it.

It'd be funny if the Apple TV took off outside the US. After all, the US is LESS than 50% of Apple's revenue source, so it needs to focus more on non-US customers.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
Oh you think that will happen with a state owned company :p Maybe in 2030 when we all live in the Matrix ;)

SVT has historically been pretty fast with adopting new technologies. They were (to my knowledge) first of the big channels with a Play-service and they (for what it's worth) certainly haven't feared adopting social media.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
SVT has historically been pretty fast with adopting new technologies. They were (to my knowledge) first of the big channels with a Play-service and they (for what it's worth) certainly haven't feared adopting social media.

Yes, but they have since changed their policy and will now only commit to open widely used standards. So don't expect anything other than them developing their web player for the foreseeable future.

----------

As for my Swedish wish-list:
HBO Nordic and Viaplay, and I'd be all set.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope this country specific programming doesn't go the same way music and movies have gone. I mean, it seems silly to me that some music/movies are only available in some regions of the world and not other. I tried to download a song legally and found out that it was not available in my region. Hmm... I thought, if they won't take my money....

Anyway, I know nothing about TV4 Play (love the name :D), but if they start restricting the same way on the TV front, I can see this only encouraging further pirating. When will the suite learn that taking money from anywhere in the world is better than getting pirated. :confused:

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
Just the fact that these channels are downloaded to your device without your choice. Tells me this model of Apple TV software is outdated.

By simply having a TV app section in the store that allows you to choose and install the apps you want would be a huge step forwards.

I would have no problem selling my Apple TV 2 at this moment in time.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Just the fact that these channels are downloaded to your device without your choice. Tells me this model of Apple TV software is outdated.

By simply having a TV app section in the store that allows you to choose and install the apps you want would be a huge step forwards.

I would have no problem selling my Apple TV 2 at this moment in time.

I like the App Store model better for adding apps. Although having the ability to hide it is nice already, I rather not waste storage space. We only get 4GB I think as it is. That was for buffering video content plus the OS. Now with each app being added we are taken away from this. I'm noticing iTunes taking a lot longer to buffer streaming content every since the last two add-ons.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I like the App Store model better for adding apps. Although having the ability to hide it is nice already, I rather not waste storage space. We only get 4GB I think as it is. That was for buffering video content plus the OS. Now with each app being added we are taken away from this. I'm noticing iTunes taking a lot longer to buffer streaming content every since the last two add-ons.

These "apps" are nothing more than a text file smaller than 1MB. Graphic assets are pulled down from the internet. It's not taking up any noticeable space.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Before any complaints about not being able to hide it, yes you can!. Go in Settings -> General -> Restrictions, then change it's value to "hide" or "hidden" or whatever.

You're welcome!

This should really be stickied to every Apple TV article.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Related story

In a related story, All AppleTVs bound for the Swedish market will have the inputs on the back labeled as innuendos.

--heeeeyuck.

Dave532

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
Hmm, does the Apple TV have BBC iPlayer yet? Getting that would definitely make me buy one again!

Not yet, Sky News (also available in other countries) and Sky Sports (UK only) is the best we get.

Makers of smart TV and set top boxes targeting the UK all consider including BBC iPlayer an essential component, except for Apple currently.

I think this will change soon, but I don't know how far along the discussions with the TV companies are.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
These "apps" are nothing more than a text file smaller than 1MB. Graphic assets are pulled down from the internet. It's not taking up any noticeable space.

How did you find this out? The graphics must be cached taking up space. Because they still appear even when I'm not connected to the Internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.