Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Proctor and Gamble first introduced its smartphone-connected Oral-B toothbrush earlier this month, but the company is on hand at the Mobile World Congress conference in Spain to give attendees a look at the upcoming device.

oralb.jpg
The Oral-B SmartSeries 7000 connects to the Oral Blue iPhone app using Bluetooth 4.0, allowing the app to provide real-time guidance on brushing habits. It records brushing activity on a chart that can be shared with dental professionals to create personalized brushing routines and because the Bluetooth connectivity works both ways, the app can also be used to program the toothbrush.

Engadget went hands-on with the Oral-B SmartSeries 7000 to show off how the app interacts with the brush itself. While brushing, the iPhone app runs a timer in real-time to keep track of how long a user has brushed and it also includes a stream of news articles to keep users entertained while brushing.

toothbrush-app.jpg
In case the sheer boredom of brushing your teeth for that long is too much to bear, you can also thumb through a stream of news articles or local weather reports (no, really) to help you hang in there. Turns out, just furiously mashing those bristles into your teeth isn't great either, so the timer will blink red if you're pressing too hard.
In addition to Bluetooth connectivity, the SmartSeries 7000 features oscillating-rotating-pulsating technology, six different cleaning modes (Daily Cleaning, Deep Clean, Whitening, Gum Care, Sensitive, and Tongue Cleaning), a pressure sensor to prevent users from brushing too hard, and several different travel accessories.

Oral B's Bluetooth 4.0 smart toothbrush technology will be available in several of its toothbrushes, beginning with the Oral B SmartSeries 7000, which is expected to launch later this year for $220.

Article Link: Oral-B Shows Off iPhone-Compatible Smart Toothbrush at Mobile World Congress

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
What's next, a smart toilet to monitor my stool and urine samples? It'd present me with articles about how to improve my diet and possible diseases that I'm at risk for...

Actually...at first, I was sarcastic because of every simple thing becoming *smart* but I kind of want this toilet.

God knows I'm already reading stuff on my iOS devices, might as well add a few more things to read about.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My tooth brushing regime is pretty regimented. Put on an 80's power ballad that lasts 4 minutes. Brush for 3 mins, spit, rinse with mouthwash as the lyrics fade and the man with womanly hair's voice vibrates off into the silence.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Even as I slowly sink into the depths of dementia...I can still brush my teeth without a $220 toothbrush and associated iPhone app.

Just because something can be made, doesn't mean it should be made...

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
What's next, a smart toilet to monitor my stool and urine samples? It'd present me with articles about how to improve my diet and possible diseases that I'm at risk for...

Actually...at first, I was sarcastic because of every simple thing becoming *smart* but I kind of want this toilet.

God knows I'm already reading stuff on my iOS devices, might as well add a few more things to read about.

I think you've just hatched a fantastic startup idea!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it should include Pokemon so you can raise your creature every time you brush your teeth!

soon enough your childs teeth would glow like a Twilight vampire in the sun

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I know I am in the minority, but I really want one. I have a Phillips right now and love it. It was only slightly cheaper than $220.

Also this exact brush is on amazon for ~$160

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I think.... we may have gone too far this time.....

Not yet. What until you see the blue tooth toilet paper roll. Keeps track of how many times you crap in a month, how much toilet paper is used during a session and how long you sit on the throne. Useful at home and especially at work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.