Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I hooked up a small KVM between the G5 and my Intel iMac this week so I can share one mouse and keyboard. It seems to work really well so far.

Also, I bought a second switch for my network so I could connect the G5 to the network via Ethernet and take the little WiFi antenna off of the back of it. I feared Puma would eventually break it off while rubbing his little face on it - to which I've already caught him doing!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Norseman

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
How did you ever make out? I have a G5 and want to add a wireless keyboard & mouse. What do you guys think I should get?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
eMacs are heavier still at 50 pounds. The heaviest is the G3 All-In-One at 59.5 pounds.

One of the big problems with the eMac is not so much the weight, but the fact that the whole thing is slippery plastic and there's really no good place to grab onto it.

Even though the G5s do at least have carrying handles, they aren't exactly the most comfortable things to carry for very long since the handles are thin and sharp. IMO, the handle design on the G3/G4 towers is much better for a purely functional standpoint. At 40lbs, MDDs are similar in weight or even heavier than some of the lower spec G5 towers, but I'd much rather carry one than a G5.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
One of the big problems with the eMac is not so much the weight, but the fact that the whole thing is slippery plastic and there's really no good place to grab onto it.

Even though the G5s do at least have carrying handles, they aren't exactly the most comfortable things to carry for very long since the handles are thin and sharp. IMO, the handle design on the G3/G4 towers is much better for a purely functional standpoint. At 40lbs, MDDs are similar in weight or even heavier than some of the lower spec G5 towers, but I'd much rather carry one than a G5.

Agreed. I have the G3 AIO, G5, and a G4 QS case and the G4 is a treat to carry. Although I've carried my G5 100yds (I almost died), I still hate it.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Those dongles can be had at any pound shop in the UK and virtually all work well. Only problem with usb bluetooth dongles and wireless I/O devices is that you cannot access O/F with them as they rely on the OS to enable them to pair.

RF Wireless keyboards have another problem as I found on my G5. For some reason they cause the Superdrive to eject on boot up.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
How did you ever make out? I have a G5 and want to add a wireless keyboard & mouse. What do you guys think I should get?

I couldn't get the Apple wireless keyboard to ever connect. I think it's too new for this older machine. But as far as I can tell, BT is working though.

apple apple

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
On the SSD. If you want one get one. I have a laptop that I hackintoshed some years ago. At one point it had a 7200 sata, but the chipset does limit it to Sata 1. Still a noticeable improvement when I got the ssd though.

On the bluetooth; on my dual 2.0 powermac, I am using a Kinivo usb dongle. It is usb2 and bt3.0 and it works a treat... natively at that. Just make sure its the one that says for osx in the description. I use a made in china ebay "ipad" keyboard that looks like an apple keyboard. No problems getting it to pair. I'm thinking your problems may be difference in bt version between your card and keyboard. Oh and my chinese bay bt mouse works well too. Even wakes the computer from sleep. Though by that time you have to allow a moment for the mouse itself to wake upon first click.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I couldn't get the Apple wireless keyboard to ever connect. I think it's too new for this older machine. But as far as I can tell, BT is working though.

Or, you could get an older, white 'chunky' wireless keyboard. They rock!
apple-wireless-keyboard-1st-gen-4gm.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Or, you could get an older, white 'chunky' wireless keyboard. They rock!

I think what I'll do is get a new Logitech keyboard for my iMac and then use the wired Apple keyboard with the PowerMac.

Right now, I switched the Apple wireless keyboard to the iMac and already moved the wired one to the PowerMac.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I think what I'll do is get a new Logitech keyboard for my iMac and then use the wired Apple keyboard with the PowerMac.

Right now, I switched the Apple wireless keyboard to the iMac and already moved the wired one to the PowerMac.

Logitech rocks, just saying. Their warranty is amazing.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I placed a bid on and won an Apple PowerMac G5, Dual 1.8 GHz/4GB/OS X10.5.8, 2 HD-75 GB/1TB, Radeon 9800 Pro on eBay today.

I also bought a used 20" Apple Cinema Display to go with it.

This will be my new project/hobby computer to work on or just use. From the description, there probably isn't much it really needs. But maybe I'll look into doing something with SSD's if I can.

It was fun rebuilding the iMac G5 and now I have a new PPC Mac to use! I'm excited for this one too.

Thats a fine PPC, i got mine off hand, e shipping nightmare was saved.
Mine is a 2.0 dual.
I use to just sit and watch its beauty. Felt like hugging it everyday !

Good luck with ur G5.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have a Samsung 840 SSD I'd like to try on this machine. I know it won't run at SATA III speeds, but does anyone have any experience running this SSD on this type of machine? Is there TRIM support available to run on 10.5.8?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Curious as to whether these mSATA to IDE adapters deal with SATA III drives. I know that the SATA I controller in my MBP cannot deal with SATA III drives, whether SSD or HDD.

Or are we limited to SATA I / II drives only?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So? The keyboard sits on your desk....I don't walk around with it....I'd rather it be heavy enough to not shift around while I type on it.

PS...I'm rockin' that chunky BT KB with my 2012 Mini and love it.

Not everyone uses a Bluetooth keyboard exclusively on their desk. Other more Earth conscious people may not like the idea of constantly replacing four AA batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.