Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I have a few others that I participate in but I do so seldom therefore they are not bookmarked. Also, you will not find me under the same alias. This is the only forum that's different.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 9.21.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 9.21.47 PM.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 206

johnbowne

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
Hooked on these community forums, want to participate in more of these general tech/geeky ones. Any recommendations appreciated.

Last edited:

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I guess it depends on your likes and hobbies. This forum and several other Apple devoted forums are available. Apple operates a discussion forum of their own which you can join for free. All you need to join is your Apple ID and Password.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't know if you like hometheater or not, but avsforum.com is pretty large and there are some really technical threads, but they deal with hometheater. Speaker setup, calibration, home design, and the like. They do have a HTPC section with some Mac users.

As far as tech goes, this is my main one. I visit iMore for some of the articles, but like @AustinIllini mentioned, it can be over the top with justification and comments.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Not really forums, but they have comments, mainly Android Police (probably not the right place for Apple fans, but as far as Android news they're the best) and YouTube.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is the first forum I ever joined; and, I joined because I had just switched to Apple and had bought myself a new 15" MBP and had some questions I wished to have answered; then, I stayed.

While I am on Twitter and LinkedIn - the latter is solely for professional reasons, and I hardly ever post there, while the former is mainly for keeping abreast of news.

But, other forums, and social media platforms? No.

For a variety of reasons.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Used to post more. I do post on another forum. I used to post on several sites but lost interest in the subject matter. I forget why I joined this forum, but I believe it was a software issue. I didn't post much for the next six years before slowly becoming a poster. I ended up posting often in the espresso thread where I "met" ScepticalScribe. After a short while, the forum felt quite homely.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This is the first forum I ever joined; and, I joined because I had just switched to Apple and had bought myself a new 15" MBP and had some questions I wished to have answered; then, I stayed.

While I am on Twitter and LinkedIn - the latter is solely for professional reasons, and I hardly ever post there, while the former is mainly for keeping abreast of news.

But, other forums, and social media platforms? No.

For a variety of reasons.
My first forum was in early 2011, back when Quark Inc. had the second incarnation of their forums on their actual website (quark.com).

At the time I was solely working in QuarkXPress and the idea of a forum appealed to me. I'd been using BBS systems since 1985 but never joined an actual internet forum until this.

Those forums underwent several changes between then and now but by 2009 I started branching out because I had questions about other things.

Coming to MacRumors was because I was in a rut between the Quark forums and sprintusers.com. This place allowed me to converse with others about one of my favorite topics - PowerPC Macs.

I used to spend some time in the Apple forms, but unless you have a certain post count over there they don't consider you to know anything and are quite rude about it. The Adobe forums are a cesspool as well so I don't really go there.

I've no objection to being online in more forums I just find it hard to find ones where the give and take benefits everyone involved.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My first forum was in early 2011, back when Quark Inc. had the second incarnation of their forums on their actual website (quark.com).

At the time I was solely working in QuarkXPress and the idea of a forum appealed to me. I'd been using BBS systems since 1985 but never joined an actual internet forum until this.

Those forums underwent several changes between then and now but by 2009 I started branching out because I had questions about other things.

Coming to MacRumors was because I was in a rut between the Quark forums and sprintusers.com. This place allowed me to converse with others about one of my favorite topics - PowerPC Macs.

I used to spend some time in the Apple forms, but unless you have a certain post count over there they don't consider you to know anything and are quite rude about it. The Adobe forums are a cesspool as well so I don't really go there.

I've no objection to being online in more forums I just find it hard to find ones where the give and take benefits everyone involved.

Well, candidly, I never expected to stay as long as I have done here, or to end up playing an active role in this forum.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I am a member of a LOT of forums, all with the same name, but visit very few regularly. My daily rounds are: corner-carvers.com, diymobileaudio.com, caraudiojunkies, avsforum, and miata.net.

only macRumors
The "forums" concept getting antiquated.
Yeah, that's definitely true. Over the years I've joined and participated in many, including here under a different account many moons ago that I long since abandoned or deleted. For me Twitter came along and forums just don't have the same appeal they used to.

Saying that though, here I am, so obviously I don't think they're quite dead yet.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
linuxquestions, archbbs, macrumors, ar15.com, bladeforums, jeepforum, bikeforms, the paceline.

I'm a member of more but I'm the most active in those

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.