Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Social Network' Director David Fincher in Talks to Helm Sony's 'Steve Jobs' Biopic

Director David Fincher is in talks to direct the Aaron Sorkin-scripted Steve Jobs biopic based on Walter Isaacson's biography, claims The Hollywood Reporter. Sorkin last month completed the script for the film, which is said to take place across three 30-minute scenes at three Jobs-led product launches.

Fincher has experience with broad-appeal Silicon Valley films after his Oscar-winning turn with the The Social Network -- also written by Sorkin -- which won three Academy Awards and was nominated for five more, including Best Picture and Best Director.
Quote:
Like Zuckerberg, Jobs was a complicated visionary who became a polarizing figure. Under Jobs' watch, Apple revolutionized several business, including personal computers, music, computer-generated animation and mobile phones. In the process, he became known as one of the greatest innovators of his generation. At the same time, he was unapologetic about his difficult personality, was at one point ousted at Apple and was criticized for the harsh treatment of workers in China who assembled Apple products.
Among Fincher's other directing credits include Fight Club, Panic Room, the American version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and several others.

With Sorkin wrapping the screenplay, Sony's next step will be to sign on a director and then move forward on casting, as no actors are known to be in talks for any roles. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is working as a consultant on the film, which has no potential release date yet.

Article Link: 'Social Network' Director David Fincher in Talks to Helm Sony's 'Steve Jobs' Biopic
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:13 AM   #2
aaronhead14
macrumors member

This is the best news ever....
aaronhead14 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Oh . my . god. Another SJ movie that will garner a hundred front page posts... and likely turn out to be another flop.

Last edited by theheadguy; Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
theheadguy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:16 AM   #4
trecb
macrumors newbie

But who will play Steve?
trecb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:17 AM   #5
DFZD
macrumors regular

Now just get this guy to play Steve Jobs..
DFZD is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trecb View Post
But who will play Steve?
Please, not Ashton
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

... Who exactly thought it would be appropriate to compare Steve to Zuckerberg? C'mon...
Z400Racer37 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Revearti
macrumors member

Mr. Finch! Please direct this movie!
Revearti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Crosscreek
macrumors 6502a

1 hella of a director.
Crosscreek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Rudy69
macrumors 6502

Do we really need another one?
Rudy69 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:29 AM   #11
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.
rmatthewware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:35 AM   #12
ck2875
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is working as a consultant on the film, which has no potential release date yet.
I feel like Wozniak is only consulting so he doesn't end up being portrayed by someone looking like this in the film:

ck2875 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:39 AM   #13
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy69 View Post
Do we really need another one?
I actually rather agree with you. I don't feel like Steve is a movie worthy subject. Jobs actually proved that to me in many ways.

The man's life is so complex, the company is so complex, that no 3 hour movie is going to hit all the notes. Things will be cut, tweaked etc.

If someone really wants to do something how about a docu mini series. Or even two of them. One about Steve up to the great return, one about Apple after it. They could do it in two 12 part limited series on say the Biography Channel.

I would much rather see that and see Fincher actually make good on his talk to do the whole Girl trilogy and not just the first movie.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.
He likely won't. That tone is possibly why they are telling the story the way they are. Avoid any situations where such rapid fire talk would seem odd. Board rooms, brainstorming conferences etc all fit with that sort of tone.
charlituna is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:41 AM   #14
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Oh . my . god. Another SJ movie that will garner a hundred front page posts... and likely turn out to be another flop.

A film about Steve Jobs being written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher deserves front page posts. I seriously doubt it will flop and should not be put in the same category as Ashton Kutcher.
3N16MA is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:46 AM   #15
KdParker
macrumors 68020

So will this movie be the 'real' story of SJ?

Where as the other movie was kind of like the made for TV version.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:47 AM   #16
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trecb View Post
But who will play Steve?
Christian Bale.
3N16MA is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:50 AM   #17
Dicx
macrumors Demi-God

Just get Trent for the soundtrack and it will be ok.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

Thumb resize.

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:53 AM   #19
mikethebigo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFZD View Post

Now just get this guy to play Steve Jobs..
"I'm Steve Jobs?"

Dammit who put a question mark on the teleprompter?!
mikethebigo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:55 AM   #20
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicx View Post
Just get Trent for the soundtrack and it will be ok.
Yes x 1,000! If Sorkin and Fincher are involved, then it seems obvious that Reznor would as well.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:55 AM   #21
UnionVGF
macrumors member

Like there was another possible choice?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:59 AM   #22
v0lume4
macrumors regular

The Social Network was a masterpiece. I could NOT be more excited for this film if Fincher is directing.
v0lume4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:03 PM   #23
nerdo
macrumors regular

True, if they turn a script with three 30 minute scenes into a 3 hour movie I don't want to see it either. 90 minutes of nothing it's like watching the Robocop reboot allover again!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
I actually rather agree with you. I don't feel like Steve is a movie worthy subject. Jobs actually proved that to me in many ways.

The man's life is so complex, the company is so complex, that no 3 hour movie is going to hit all the notes. Things will be cut, tweaked etc.

If someone really wants to do something how about a docu mini series. Or even two of them. One about Steve up to the great return, one about Apple after it. They could do it in two 12 part limited series on say the Biography Channel.

I would much rather see that and see Fincher actually make good on his talk to do the whole Girl trilogy and not just the first movie.

----------

He likely won't. That tone is possibly why they are telling the story the way they are. Avoid any situations where such rapid fire talk would seem odd. Board rooms, brainstorming conferences etc all fit with that sort of tone.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:05 PM   #24
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

If Fincher is behind the wheel then this could be a great movie. I realize there is a lot of supposed BS behind the story of the Facebook, but as a movie, it was very good.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:07 PM   #25
nerdo
macrumors regular

They can even keep the title "Collateral" just photoshop Tom in front of a mountain of Windows vista computers, employees and Android gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

Thumb resize.

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.

----------

Mark Strong off course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
Christian Bale.
Maybe he is going to call it "the social macwork" No? too early in the day?? I'll come back when everybody is drunk again....

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion