Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:10 PM   #26
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
So will this movie be the 'real' story of SJ?
There will never, ever be a 'real' film or book created about anything, let alone Steve Jobs. Both are a phenomenon (perception) which are very poor attempts at representing reality.
JHankwitz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:11 PM   #27
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdo View Post

[/COLOR]Mark Strong off course!
"Don't worry about viruses, we are Protected"
imageWIS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:11 PM   #28
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revearti View Post
Mr. Finch! Please direct this movie!
He is a good director but for some reason I hardly get excite about any movie about SJ.
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better. I just think because most of us know so much about the subject, we all have high expectations and that will never be fulfilled on screen.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:15 PM   #29
quikrick11
macrumors newbie

Day Lewis

I can only imagine what Daniel Day Lewis could do with this role. Not to mention his method acting. I'm sure LSD, fasting, fruit diets, and black mock necks would enter his process.

quikrick11 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:16 PM   #30
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post
He is a good director but for some reason I hardly get excite about any movie about SJ.
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better. I just think because most of us know so much about the subject, we all have high expectations and that will never be fulfilled on screen.
I'm not all that excited about it myself, simply because it's a rare thing for me to get stoked over a biopic. But considering the raw talent working on this, you'll at least know that, if anything, it'll be a decent movie.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:20 PM   #31
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
There will never, ever be a 'real' film or book created about anything, let alone Steve Jobs. Both are a phenomenon (perception) which are very poor attempts at representing reality.
Actually there could be. But it won't come any time soon. Because it will have to be thoroughly researched over many years. If someone is working on it they hopefully already started because any more of the major players end up dead.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:20 PM   #32
Gravity
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikrick11 View Post
I can only imagine what Daniel Day Lewis could do with this role. Not to mention his method acting. I'm sure LSD, fasting, fruit diets, and black mock necks would enter his process.

Lewis looks more like Scully.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:23 PM   #33
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better.
Keep in mind that the Ashton one was horrible cause it was a first time producer, a first time writer and a director with one really crappy work under his belt and one meh one. And the rest of the crew didn't appear to be much better (I helped a friend dissect the camera work as examples of what not to do for a class he is teaching)

They clearly weren't out to win any awards but to produce something that would get shown at least once for their resumes. Heck they can even say it showed at major festivals. It got them press. Name dropping Apple and/or Steve Jobs will do that
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:27 PM   #34
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

Thumb resize.

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.
I'm no fan of Tom Cruise - but he would be a good fit for Jobs.
Mums is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:28 PM   #35
WorldTravelBro
macrumors member

Why not Dwayne Johnson... he already looks good in black (no homo)

Imagine a long sleeve black shirt

WorldTravelBro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:29 PM   #36
quikrick11
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Lewis looks more like Scully.
Add a beard, round specs and cropped hair and you have Jobs. The younger years would be difficult.
quikrick11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:30 PM   #37
macintologist
macrumors regular

The only way Steve Jobs will be properly represented is through an HBO series, which would allow for long conversations, character development, and not feeling rushed through things.

If Game of Thrones were forced into a 2 hour movie, it would suck.
macintologist is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:40 PM   #38
The Wedge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trecb View Post
But who will play Steve?
I nominate Christian Bale
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:42 PM   #39
tRYSIS3
macrumors newbie

I'm a big SJ and movie fan, yet i didn't watch the movie because it looked bad.
Now on the other hand thats a movie id be interested in watching!!
tRYSIS3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:00 PM   #40
Alumeenium
macrumors regular

the last movie was a huge flop

we don't need another revisionist version where Jobs speaks Sorkinese

over some out of tune piano score

but what I know, I'm not the one wearing hockey pants

Alumeenium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:00 PM   #41
0xyMoron
macrumors 6502

You lost me at "Like Zuckerberg"
0xyMoron is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:19 PM   #42
imageWIS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xyMoron View Post
You lost me at "Like Zuckerberg"
Tell me about it:

Jobs > Zuckerberg
imageWIS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:40 PM   #43
xoneo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

Thumb resize.

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.
Disagree with respect!
And completely agree with Daniel Day-Lewis. Almost all movies he played in are great and he is very hard to accept playing roles as in Wikipedia :

"He is known as being one of the most selective actors in the film industry, having starred in only five films since 1998, with as many as five years between each role."
xoneo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:41 PM   #44
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
But Steve Jobs was head of a strange technology cult which takes all the money of its followers.

How would Tom Cruise be able to get inside that role?
firestarter is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:50 PM   #45
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Thumb resize.

Steve would have never allowed his dental surgeon to make such a clearly non-symmetrical smile.

Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:08 PM   #46
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

David Fincher is awesome! Brilliant news!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:14 PM   #47
Ubele
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.
"Is it ready?"
"What?"
"The demo."
"The demo."
"Yes, the demo."
"You're asking me if the demo's ready."
"Yes! We go live in 20 minutes!"
"You think I don't know that?"
"Of course, I know you know that! It's just --"
"Then why would you aski me if the demo's ready, if you know I know that? You don't trust me?"
"You still haven't answered my question! Is the @#%$! demo ready?!"
"No."
"No?!!!"
"There's been... a problem."

This is why I eventually became irritated by The West Wing.

As for casting, I think they should be really innovative and do it all using CGI. Give those programmers a challenge: "Everything in the movie has to look 100% realistic. If it does, you'll have jobs for life at Pixar, with stock options. If it doesn't, you'll never work in the industry again."
Ubele is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:24 PM   #48
Carl Sagan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhead14 View Post
This is the best news ever....
It really is, they're pure dream team; one of the most creative directors in the world and one of the most creative writers!

----------

Oh and Tom Cruise should play Steve Jobs.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:28 PM   #49
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:47 PM   #50
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Maybe I'm the only one, but while it was an interesting film, I found The Social Network to be quite irritating. The quick talking, unrelenting pace gave me a headache. I don't know if I should blame Sorkin or Fincher, or the combination.

So, with what I have already heard about Sorkin only having three scenes in the movie and imagining a similar cinematic experience to The Social Network, I am becoming less interested in this movie.

And I still vote for Noah Wyle. I know he's done it before, but I think he has the chops and the look to pull off a convincing Jobs.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion