Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:49 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases iTunes 11.1.5 With Bug Fixes, Compatibility Improvements

Apple today released a minor update to its iTunes software, fixing an issue that could cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected. The update also improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.

The last update to iTunes was released on January 22, bringing language and wish list improvements.
Quote:
This update fixes a problem that may cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected and improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.
iTunes 11.1.5 can be downloaded via the Mac App Store or through Apple's iTunes download site. The update comes in at 81.4MB.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 11.1.5 With Bug Fixes, Compatibility Improvements
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:51 PM   #2
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I read this post and thought they were releasing new iBooks at first. I miss the old iBook and PowerBook names
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
musika
macrumors 65816

I'm just waiting for the day that Apple decides to make iTunes about music (or even media in general), and separates all of the other stuff from it.

There should be an iTunes Store app for Mac, like there is for iOS. Music and Videos apps for Mac, like there are for iOS. I know it would be rather ballsy because of how huge iTunes is, but Apple isn't one to be shy of change. I think it would make the experience a whole lot better.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:58 PM   #4
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Love a good iTunes update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musika View Post
I'm just waiting for the day that Apple decides to make iTunes about music (or even media in general), and separates all of the other stuff from it.

There should be an iTunes Store app for Mac, like there is for iOS. Music and Videos apps for Mac, like there are for iOS. I know it would be rather ballsy because of how huge iTunes is, but Apple isn't one to be shy of change. I think it would make the experience a whole lot better.
It's better than it used to be. I don't agree with having seperate apps, but thats just my opinion.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:58 PM   #5
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Maybe bring back iSync. Have that sync your devices, while iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, etc. manage the media.
guzhogi is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:01 PM   #6
GWX
macrumors newbie

So, when is the smooth scrolling Mavericks' API going to be implemented? iTunes is so janky, specially when compared to the silk which is Safari when scrolling.
GWX is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:07 PM   #7
Skika
macrumors 68020

I wonder if they fixed the issue where iTunes crashes when resuming internet radio.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:12 PM   #8
parish
macrumors 65816

Wonder if this will fix the annoying warning that it can't sync a book (just one, the last one I bought) to my iPhone because it can't be found?

Edit: Looks like it has. I started a sync and it popped up a message saying there were purchases on my phone that weren't in iTunes and did I want to upload them. Selected Yes and it uploaded the "rogue" book from my phone

Last edited by parish; Feb 26, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
parish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:17 PM   #9
durkkin
macrumors regular

Quote:

Apple absolutely needs to separate the apps. iTunes tries to handle so much stuff that it takes away from the experience, slows down the app overall, and makes it hard/confusing for new users to learn. It was a discussion I had with the Creatives at the Apple store all the time. Customers had so much trouble learning the ins and outs of iTunes.
durkkin is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:19 PM   #10
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWX View Post
So, when is the smooth scrolling Mavericks' API going to be implemented? iTunes is so janky, specially when compared to the silk which is Safari when scrolling.
I haven't noticed major scrolling problems, but the search functionality is so bad it locks up the UI while sputtering to return results. And forget trying to type anything while it's searching. There's several things I think iTunes 11 improved, but searching is far far worse now. And when people have libraries that number in the tens of thousands, searching is one of those things that should have spit and polish.

But that's the general problem with iTunes. It's not a focused product. There are so many competing internal interests for engineering time -- iTunes Match, iTunes Radio, iBooks, iTunes Store, and oh yeah music -- that it doesn't feel anymore like an Apple product. Almost feels like a Microsoft product. As Jobs said, being focused is about saying "no" not "yes", but they seem to say "yes" to shoehorning into iTunes whatever product they want us to buy this week. I mean, does it even make sense that you can buy books and films inside a music app? They need to just make a separate Media Store app, and leave our music alone.
petsounds is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:23 PM   #11
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Funny thing is that I almost never connect my devices to my Mac anymore. With over the air syncing, i really don't need to. I d find that the lag of getting photos from my phone to the cloud and available in iPhoto/Aperture can take time -- that's when I will hard wire and download the photos directly.

In reality I find I am almost never in iTunes these days. I do it all through the iPad, iPhone or ATV. But I know that in the background, iTunes is there collecting and managing all my stuff.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:27 PM   #12
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Here is hoping the issue I have been having with iTunes recently "Buffering Message" is resolved with this. I don't know if it is a bug or not, but it is driving me nuts!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:29 PM   #13
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

I haven't had any of the problems this is fixing, but I'll update anyway.
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:29 PM   #14
deluxeshredder
macrumors 6502

Still seems to be a buggy, creaky and laggy mess on Windows.
deluxeshredder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:33 PM   #15
wwchris
macrumors member

Grr... busted

My iTunes was working fine, now after the update it hangs when I quit. I have to force-quit and then it has to rebuild my library each time.
wwchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

My pet peeve is the multiple times iTunes asks me for my password to log into the Apple Store.

This was briefly fixed but re-introduced with one of the newer iTunes releases.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:48 PM   #17
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxeshredder View Post
Still seems to be a buggy, creaky and laggy mess on Windows.
Found your problem.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:51 PM   #18
jimlaing
macrumors newbie

I was just struggling this morning with how my iPads and iPhone were not recognized anymore by iTunes and this fix fixed that! I was not happy when I connected my devices via cable and iTunes 11.1.4 didn't even recognize them! And I got the dreaded "Trust This Computer" message over and over.

Anyway, 11.1.5 fixed those issues that I just started seeing after 11.1.4 came in.

Jim
jimlaing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:55 PM   #19
deluxeshredder
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Found your problem.
So why is Foobar2000 rock-solid on Windows?
deluxeshredder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:55 PM   #20
epelba01
macrumors newbie

I was hoping it would fix the wifi sync issue, but it looks like it did not. Once the computer goes to sleep, even though wake on lan is turned on, wifi sync on ios devices will keep showing looking for Mac. This is getting old. The cord has been cut but wifi sync implementation is lousy.
epelba01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Intelligent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple today released a minor update to its iTunes software, fixing an issue that could cause iTunes to quit unexpectedly when a device is connected. The update also improves compatibility with iBooks for Mac on OS X Mavericks.

The last update to iTunes was released on January 22, bringing language and wish list improvements. iTunes 11.1.5 can be downloaded via the Mac App Store or through Apple's iTunes download site. The update comes in at 81.4MB.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 11.1.5 With Bug Fixes, Compatibility Improvements

Still no CoverFlow?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:59 PM   #22
wwchris
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwchris View Post
My iTunes was working fine, now after the update it hangs when I quit. I have to force-quit and then it has to rebuild my library each time.
Just to follow up, I let it sit on quit and it did eventually quit after about 3 minutes. Not sure what the problem is.
wwchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:01 PM   #23
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

Has anyone else got this bug where music plays back at half or three quarters speed? The only way to resolve the issue is to close and reopen iTunes.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:11 PM   #24
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:

I would love separate apps and the iTunes app to only be the Store and nothing else.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:29 PM   #25
NMBob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
Wonder if this will fix the annoying warning that it can't sync a book (just one, the last one I bought) to my iPhone because it can't be found?

Edit: Looks like it has. I started a sync and it popped up a message saying there were purchases on my phone that weren't in iTunes and did I want to upload them. Selected Yes and it uploaded the "rogue" book from my phone
Did it bother to tell you WHICH items were on your phone that weren't in iTunes? I bet not. Is that really too difficult for a company of 10's of thousands of employees to figure out how to do? Wow. I mean they already put up the dialog box warning you about it.
NMBob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion