Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have just bought the Global 64 bit version of my new 27 Mac top spec.

Should I only buy 64 bit add on s? How will the older 32 bit planes airports run?

I know that the disks I will receive will have 32 and 64 Bit on them, but if I open a 64 bit session as being my norm, how will add on s load up?

Sorry basic stuff, but I am a newbie ex of MSX where the basics are laid out.

Thanks/

I wouldn't even think about running the 32 bit version now...The 64 Bit offering is stable apart from the odd ATC issue.

richest

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
For scenery and planes it doesn't matter at all (they are not executables, so there is no such thing as a 64 or 32 bit plane or scenery). For plugins I believe you need them to be 64 bit if you're running X-Plane at 64 bit.

Ok thanks.

Steep learning curve for me on this one.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I wouldn't even think about running the 32 bit version now...The 64 Bit offering is stable apart from the odd ATC issue.

ATC is fine for me. The thing that bugs me is the autogen taxing lines and the AI aircraft act like morons( which can also be caused by the autogen taxi instructions).

I only use ATC when I fly FlyJSim's 727-200F due to it being an old school plane and having ATC's guidance to when to descend and turn to intercept the final approach course is nice to have.

But if I fly the 777 Worldliner, I fly on my own due to it being more automated. Just plug the route(including the approach) into the FMS. It will fly to the IAP and I can judge the descent using the map screen.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
ATC is fine for me. The thing that bugs me is the autogen taxing lines and the AI aircraft act like morons( which can also be caused by the autogen taxi instructions).

I only use ATC when I fly FlyJSim's 727-200F due to it being an old school plane and having ATC's guidance to when to descend and turn to intercept the final approach course is nice to have.

But if I fly the 777 Worldliner, I fly on my own due to it being more automated. Just plug the route(including the approach) into the FMS. It will fly to the IAP and I can judge the descent using the map screen.

Yep, it had me taxi so close to a 747 the other night that I would have been blown away.....I was in a Beech Baron....The thing is, if you don't follow instructions exactly, they give you that annoying breach of rules box. I've taken to setting a destination after I take off now...at least I don't have to taxi around in circles waiting for a slot!

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Yep, it had me taxi so close to a 747 the other night that I would have been blown away.....I was in a Beech Baron....The thing is, if you don't follow instructions exactly, they give you that annoying breach of rules box. I've taken to setting a destination after I take off now...at least I don't have to taxi around in circles waiting for a slot!

My issue is the zigzagging it has me do when straight is where I would normally taxi.

With the AI, taxing onto the runway has them do it in such a way they can't turn to depart and get stuck. So if you're departing, you never will. Or if you're on approach you will be told to go missed all the time.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
My issue is the zigzagging it has me do when straight is where I would normally taxi.

With the AI, taxing onto the runway has them do it in such a way they can't turn to depart and get stuck. So if you're departing, you never will. Or if you're on approach you will be told to go missed all the time.

I've managed to get it to work most times on approach, but yes...sometimes it seems to just loop....I've been given clearance, been on final 100FT up and then told to climb to 3K...Yeah, right.

The zig zag lines are annoying, but as long as you follow the right general path they tend to work OK. It's far from perfect, so if you want proper ATC then I guess VATSIM is the way to go....I don't mind if I'm just flying around looking at my scenery....I've owned it for over a year, but have yet to see it all!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
The Saitek control panels are now Mac OSX compatible, thanks to a plugin written by a forum member...so I now have the full set..have yet to decide on mounting though!

Attachments

• New Panel.jpg
    New Panel.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

richest

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I have just bought the amsterdan airport by aeroosoft.

Do i have to delete the xplane x version before installation?

Thanks

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I have been using X-Plane 10's ATC more and more as A) I'm getting airports that the developers put in the taxi routes so no more annoying zigzagging B) It's nice to have descent guidance and vectoring when flying the 727 and I am discovering how much of a POS it is still even in 10.25. It does not take terrain into account when vectoring you. Coming from the east for the visual for runway 01 at KSFO, it will have you descend into a mountain. It also makes up an ILS. Weather was crap flying into KDAB and it has me do the ILS 34 which there is no ILS for 34. Only runways 7L and 25R have ILS's. How does it not know the approaches an airport has?

It even stinks at selecting a runway. Coming into land at KDFW and the winds were from 320 at 26 knots gusting to 31 knots. It has me land on runway 18R. That is one massive tailwind it had me land with.....

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I just got my new Late 2013 27" iMac Core i5 with the 780M, I'm loving it with X-Plane right now. My parents Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 with the 4850 used to be my X-Plane 10 machine. I had to turn textures resolution down to high, turn off most of the eye candy, and reduce the resolution down to 1920x1080 to get 29 FPS with the 727( the 777 struggled a bit causing it to momentarily drop to 19 FPS).

Below is my current settings and I am getting about 30-40 FPS with the 727 and 777. Very happy with the 780M. :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 6.31.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-11 at 6.31.17 PM.png
    205.1 KB · Views: 330

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I just bought the 757 and I love it. I had the 777( same group) so I am not surprised at the good quality, but still amazing plane.

Attachments

• 757RR-200_5.jpg
    757RR-200_5.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 203

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I have been buying most pay are planes (airliners).... so much that I hardly seem to fly 'em all...! :eek:

Must admit I am also waiting (patiently...) for the new 737-800 with 3D cockpit!

X-Plane 10 has matured nicely, and the ever growing airport database helps a lot!

I wonder when the 10.30 betas will start coming.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I've got my setup perfect now, and the control panel for the radio stacks gear etc. makes things so much better....no more squinting at a high res screen to decipher radio numbers, the Daitek has big easy to read numerals and proper turn knobs for changing them.

All information input using it is instantly updated in the cockpit with the exception of a few planes that don't support it and I don't fly anyway.

Highly recommended, and with pedals too, it's as real as I can get it:)

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
UK
I'm running X-Plane 10 on a basic model late 2012 iMac (512MB graphics) and on the Ramzees 777 I'm getting between 30-35FPS using real world weather - BUT - with settings pretty much set to run at fastest/lowest eye-candy.

I have a very tax-efficient option of upgrading my machine to the latest spec 27" iMac with a 4GB graphics card.

Should I do it?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I'm running X-Plane 10 on a basic model late 2012 iMac (512MB graphics) and on the Ramzees 777 I'm getting between 30-35FPS using real world weather - BUT - with settings pretty much set to run at fastest/lowest eye-candy.

I have a very tax-efficient option of upgrading my machine to the latest spec 27" iMac with a 4GB graphics card.

Should I do it?

Absolutely yes:D. That 4GB of texture memory is really going to help things along...I have the previous generation imac but it does have 32GB of RAM, an I7 3.4GHZ CPU and the 2TB 680M in it...I can crank things up pretty high, but the newbie should be even faster, with a large SSD instead of the 3TB Fusion Drive it should really run X-Plane nicely

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

Should I do it?

Yes. Go look at my settings up in post 129 I get anywhere from 34-80 FPS( depending on view, altitude, etc) using FJS's 727 and FF 757/777. Though when I fly near clouds, it does drop to 26 FPS. I am very impressed with the 780M. And unless you do work that uses hyperthreading, save the money and stick with the i5.

I did uncheck the compress textures to save VRAM option. No hit on FPS. Though X-Plane started to consume anywhere from 2 GB to 2.8 GB of VRAM instead of the 1.4-1.6 GB with it compressed.

Last edited:

Thunderbird8

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
UK
Thanks. I was also considering hard drive options, whether to stick with a normal one or go for a fusion drive.

Not sure if the fusion is worth it.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks. I was also considering hard drive options, whether to stick with a normal one or go for a fusion drive.

Not sure if the fusion is worth it.

I have a 3TB FD in my current iMac...It does sort of help with load times...Takes about two weeks to work out which apps you use most frequently and then shunts those files to the 128. When I bought my present Mac, that 768 SSD wasn't an option, but that's where I'd go now. I have a 500GB SSD in my rMBP and it makes a huge difference in performance.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The Saitek control panels are now Mac OSX compatible, thanks to a plugin written by a forum member...so I now have the full set..have yet to decide on mounting though!

+1!!!

I hope Saitek will fully support Mac, Soon(TM)!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.