Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released Mac Pro SMC Update 2.0, enabling a Mac Pro to enter Power Nap mode without running the fan for Power Nap activities. The update also includes a fix for an issue that caused a low-speed USB device not to be detected at startup.

2013_mac_pro.jpg
This update is recommended for all Mac Pro (Late 2013) models. This update enables Mac Pro to enter Power Nap without running the fan for most Power Nap activities, and addresses a rare issue where a low-speed USB device may not be detected at boot.
The Mac Pro update is recommended for all Mac Pro models from late 2013 and can be downloaded from Apple's support site or via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update for 2013 Mac Pro to Fix Power Nap Issues

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Software engineers have clearly been busy. Guess iOS 7.1 beta 6 is up next.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
The Mac Pro update is recommended for all Mac Pro models from late 2013 and can be downloaded from Apple's support site or via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Yes. All 30 of you out there that have been able to get your hands on one.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010

Seriously. I'm on day 57 of my order, and there are plenty of people with orders older than mine.

By the time I get my Pro they'll have released OS X 10.10.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Seriously. I'm on day 57 of my order, and there are plenty of people with orders older than mine.

By the time I get my Pro they'll have released OS X 10.10.

Sorry to here mate.

Apple seriously should not have picked Texas to build these things. They should have gone with the Mac mini as the first Mac to be made in America, not a halo flagship model like the Mac Pro that professionals have been chomping at the bit for.

Plus anyone I have ever talked to born and bred in Texas has told me that I needed to slow down my speech patterns because they couldn't keep up with me... :p So just imagine them having to put something together like this. ;)

But seriously I would like to know what the yield has been out of that plant of units that have made it to customers' hands.

Anyone know if that data is available on the web anywhere?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I ordered mine in January, Apple claims it will ship in February and I was charged for AppleCare yesterday (received my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad last month). With 2 more days in the month, it's listed as "in process". Having spoken with reps yesterday, I was assured it will arrive by the end of this month. That baby better ship today or tomorrow, or I'm gonna have a first world problem with customer care LOL :p

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I just got mine delivered. Ordered Jan 27th.

Helps to know people :)

Now to do this update on both and setup my storage arrays.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
apple is crap these days...what's with the delays delays delays...
I'm sure Tim's mind is always delayed

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
We received ours today... ordered it mid-January. It was BTO 12-core D700's 64GB... so I imagine that was part of the lengthy delay.

I'm glad you got your Pro!

I ordered mine (also 12-core, D700) on 1/1. If Apple shipped you yours then the company line about "processing orders in order by date placed" is malarkey.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
We received ours today... ordered it mid-January. It was BTO 12-core D700's 64GB... so I imagine that was part of the lengthy delay.

I've noticed BTO units are taking longer, perhaps Apple ordered a select amount of 8 and 12 Core Xeon's. Mine is an 8-Core, dual D700's, that's about all I modified. Many who ordered 4 and 6-Core units seem to be receiving them faster.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It seems like the Apple was so focused on replacing their CEO with their COO, that they forgot to replace their COO with someone who can keep the trains running on time.

Techsys

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
I ordered mine on Dec 22, it arrived last Thursday (Feb 20), it was scheduled to arrive March 3rd, so I was a happy camper. Build to order with all the good boxes checked. If they've charged your credit card, it's getting very close.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
My 8 core / 32GB / 1TB / D500 rig is out for delivery today. When UPS says, "Delivery by end of day" they aren't kidding. It's after 6:30pm and the man in brown has yet to show up on my doorstep :(

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm glad you got your Pro!

I ordered mine (also 12-core, D700) on 1/1. If Apple shipped you yours then the company line about "processing orders in order by date placed" is malarkey.

I too ordered a 12-core, D700 on Jan. 1... Looks like my CC was charged last night but I've yet to see any kind of shipment notification. Has your CC at least been charged? I wonder if it will arrive by the 28th or just ship by the 28th?

genen

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Ya whatever... I live in TX and I got mine Feb 2... and it was a custom 8 core order not one of the standard ones. Best thing Apple did was building them in the US so we don't have to wait for the 'slow board from china' to get to CA.

Sorry to here mate.

Apple seriously should not have picked Texas to build these things. They should have gone with the Mac mini as the first Mac to be made in America, not a halo flagship model like the Mac Pro that professionals have been chomping at the bit for.

Plus anyone I have ever talked to born and bred in Texas has told me that I needed to slow down my speech patterns because they couldn't keep up with me... :p So just imagine them having to put something together like this. ;)

But seriously I would like to know what the yield has been out of that plant of units that have made it to customers' hands.

Anyone know if that data is available on the web anywhere?

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

I had no problem getting mine last week. Why are you having so many problems getting yours?

----------

apple is crap these days...what's with the delays delays delays...
I'm sure Tim's mind is always delayed

Nobody really know the cause of the delays. But from those delays you have now declared Apple to be "crap". I'm sure you'll fare better with a PC, so please go to the PC side. Apple would love to get rid of you.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Ya whatever... I live in TX and I got mine Feb 2... and it was a custom 8 core order not one of the standard ones. Best thing Apple did was building them in the US so we don't have to wait for the 'slow board from china' to get to CA.

What "slow board from China" are you referring? (You mean "slow boat"?)

Apple usually air ships these things right from China when they are launched. Think about an iPhone launch... They have held air freight in Alaska that came from the factories in China until the official launch day.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe Apple EVER ships their computers via a freight liner across the Pacific.

----------

I was thinking of getting one but I was a little put off after reading about this:
http://michaelkammes.com/apple/how-i-killed-the-new-mac-pro/

It looks like this update won't fix the lockup issues.

GREAT FIND OF AN ARTICLE!!!!!

Here was the update at the end of the article which is VERY disturbing:
Edit: Apple called today, 7 days after we shipped out the unit. They apologized for the delay, and told us their initial ETA for a replacement was incorrect. Since the Mac Pros are backordered until April, we are put on high priority, but this still means 2-3 weeks wait time. Oh, and it was also mentioned that there have been ~70 cases similar to mine.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I too ordered a 12-core, D700 on Jan. 1... Looks like my CC was charged last night but I've yet to see any kind of shipment notification. Has your CC at least been charged? I wonder if it will arrive by the 28th or just ship by the 28th?

Last week I saw a pending charge for AppleCare (plus tax). That charge has since dropped off.

This week I see a pending charge for the Pro (plus tax computed by a formula that does not make sense). The pending charge has not turned into an actual charge.

No change in order status.

I called Apple to ping them about the Pro on Monday; they upgraded me to free next-day shipping but otherwise the CSR chanted the company line about "it will ship in February."

As I wrote on the other thread, they've got 48 hours (plus or minus for time zones).

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I was hoping that this was going to fix the problem where my Drobo 5D (Thunderbolt) often, but not always, dismounts from my new Mac Pro when it is sleeping/napping. But after installing this update last night I woke it this morning to get the good old "The disk was not ejected properly" notification again, leaving me having to reboot the Drobo and then my Mac Pro before it would mount again.

I'll also claim "first" for the first reply that's actually on-topic :cool:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.