Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it has added Soundgarden to the concert lineup for its new iTunes Festival at SXSW in Austin, Texas next month [iTunes Store]. Soundgarden will headline the March 13 concert, with supporting acts yet to be announced.

soundgarden_sxsw.jpg
As noted by The Loop, Soundgarden will play its landmark Superunknown album in its entirety, celebrating 20 years since the album's release.

An expansion of the long-running iTunes Festival held in the UK each year, the SXSW concert series was announced by Apple last week, but at the time performers were announced for three only of the five dates. Other performers announced so far include Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, London Grammar, Pitbull, ZEDD, G.R.L, Keith Urban, Willie Nelson, and Mickey Guyton.

Tickets to the shows are available to SXSW attendees free of charge on a lottery basis, and live and on-demand streams of the shows will be available through the iTunes Store on iOS devices and computers, the iTunes Festival app on iOS devices, and Apple TV.

Article Link: Soundgarden Added to SXSW iTunes Festival Lineup

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
Badmotorfinger also would have been accepted. Great band. Last year QOTSA was the rock stream to watch, now Soundgarden. Well done Apple. Glad rock n roll is still kicking.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
As I look at the lineup I start feeling old. I recognize the older bands, but have not heard of some of the newer one. Wish I had the time to go and hear the newer band. Maybe that would make me feel younger again :D

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Just reading the headline "Soundgarden", I thought to myself 'they were good like 20 years ago' then I continued to read the article to see that it is their 20 year anniversary of the 'superunknown' album :D

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Awesome band. Their King Animal album, while not as amazing as Badmotorfinger or Superunknown, still kicks major ass.

Out of the Seattle bands, they were my favorite.

At least someone at Apple still has taste.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Either of them are still better than having Kanye West perform.

Yes, if you consider Kanye a "performer." :D Being a child of the 80's I don't really understand his "music" or his clones, especially whatever that latest thing was he did with Kim K. Yes, I'll take more "Girls on Film" videos over that any nanosecond of the millennium.

Akuratyde

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Yes, if you consider Kanye a "performer." :D Being a child of the 80's I don't really understand his "music" or his clones, especially whatever that latest thing was he did with Kim K. Yes, I'll take more "Girls on Film" videos over that any nanosecond of the millennium.

This x 1000. There's a lot of great music nowadays but good lord is there a lot of garbage. It was a pretty amazing time in the '90s when bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were topping the charts.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
This x 1000. There's a lot of great music nowadays but good lord is there a lot of garbage. It was a pretty amazing time in the '90s when bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soundgarden were topping the charts.

That was an outstanding time! Not to mention lollapalooza was going on.... and pretty much all the above were playing!!!

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
Been into Soundgarden since Superunknown as a teenager, one of my favourite bands back in the day. Along with Nirvana and Alice in Chains etc. Latterly got Badmotorfinger and loved that too. But just recently I got King Animal and its still really good, sounds like proper old skool Soundgarden and I think it's a pretty awesome album. I can't remember what the guitarist is called I think it's something like Kim Thiall or something but that guy was an inspiration to me as a teen learning to play guitar. It's been a while and I didn't bother to look it up. Very interesting style. Anyway I'll definitely be interested to hear this.

Peace Out.

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
yep fair enough, I was obviously too lazy to even Google it, fair point. Anyway I just did and I was 'almost' correct, it's Kim Thayil. So yeah that guy. The dude with the beard (now quite grey) makes me feel pretty old, actually I'm 36 so I have a couple of years left in me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.