Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though it has been three weeks since Dong Nguyen pulled his hit game Flappy Bird from the App Store, Flappy clones are continuing to flood the App Store.

Over a 24-hour period beginning yesterday, approximately 293 new iOS games have been released into the App Store. 95 of those games are either Flappy Bird clones or heavily inspired by the original Flappy Bird title, according to data gathered by The Guardian.

clones.jpg
Various games inspired by Flappy Bird
The Flappy Bird clones run the gamut of themes and main characters, and while a large number feature birds, there are also unicorns, floppy disks, cats, sponges, bricks, worms, pigs, and more. Flappy Beard Hipster Quest lets gamers guide a bearded hipster through cans of beer, while Buffalo Wings, from well-known developer Tapity, asks players to navigate a flying buffalo through brick pillars.

buffalo1.jpg
Buffalo Wings from Tapity

Flappy Bird clones have been appearing in the App Store since shortly after the original game ceased to be available. Mere hours after Flappy Bird's removal, Flappy Bee, a clone game that utilized stolen artwork, shot up the App Store charts, reaching the top five most popular free apps.

Apple began rejecting some Flappy Bird clones in mid-February, and even cracked down on Flappy Bee, insisting on a name change, but it appears the company has given up trying to filter out the slew of games attempting to capitalize on Flappy Bird's success. Many of the games released today even include Flappy in the title, a term that Apple was previously attempting to filter out.

At the height of its popularity, Flappy Bird was reportedly earning $50,000 per day, leading the developer to remove it from the App Store because it was an "addictive product," leaving a void that other developers have been attempting to fill, sometimes successfully.

According to the unscrupulous developer behind Flappy Bee, Apple's aforementioned forced name change caused the app to fall 300 places in the App Store charts, depriving him of 99 percent of the downloads and income he received by copying the Flappy Bird concept. In an interview, the developer hinted Flappy Bee may have been earning somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 to $15,000 dollars a day. The developer behind Flappy Bee has since restored the app to its original name and removed the stolen artwork, but the app has failed to make its way back up the charts.

Given Flappy Bird's incredible popularity and its lucrativeness during the time it was on the App Store, Flappy Bird clones and games inspired by the concept are unlikely to disappear from the App Store anytime soon. As for the original game, developer Dong Nguyen has no plans to return it to the App Store, though he will continue to release new titles.

Article Link: Flappy Bird Clones Make Up One-Third of Newly Released iOS Games

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
The Flappy Bird clones run the gamut of themes and main characters, and while a large number feature birds, there are also unicorns, floppy disks, cats, sponges, bricks, worms, pigs, and more. Flappy Beard Hipster Quest lets gamers guide a bearded hipster through cans of beer, while Buffalo Wings, from well-known developer Tapity, asks players to navigate a flying buffalo through brick pillars.

Never have I ever thought I would ever see something like this on MacRumors

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
In related news, iPhone clones now make up Two-Thirds of newly released smartphones. ;)

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Well, that should help bring an end to the Flappy Bird craze. Once word gets out that new games are getting around 0 downloads a day, people will stop making the clones.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Why is this game popular? It's such a simple game. I've played a similar one before iOS existed on flash websites. It's not even that fun :confused::confused:

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
My version

I'm think I'm going to make one that farts and turns on/off the flash each time you press the screen to make the bird flap...:p

At a buck a pop, I'll be a dollar-aire

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Flappy moose,
Flappy goose.

Flappy mouse,
Flappy house.

Flappy honey bee,
Flappy pee pee.

Now just to collect $300,000/day!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I hear they're even releasing a fourth Matrix film based on the Flappy Bird mechanics. :rolleyes:

Fq7Z82d.png

Last edited:

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Why is this game popular? It's such a simple game. I've played a similar one before iOS existed on flash websites. It's not even that fun :confused::confused:

The same reason poker machines are used by gambling addicts.

It's not about fun, it's about trying to 'beat the game' and 'beat your score' because of compulsion loops. See also: candy crush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.