Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Of course, you're free to trust your data to whoever you wish. Smart people will do their research before purchasing a hard drive which is trusted to hold your data. Of course, backups are always a must. But if your first point of defense is Seagate, you're asking for trouble.

Well, the "smart" people understand that the chance of a HDD failure asymptotically approaches one rapidly as soon as it's made.

Also, using blackblaze as your single data point for "research" is somewhat shaky - the zdnet report itself notes that the environment the drives are in is unsuitable for several types of drives (notably: seagate's low power and some green models), some of which are excluded from the data set, some of which are not.

I did my research on what type of Land Rover to buy by looking at the stats provided by the British Army. It turns out that Land Rovers are much more likely to be blown up by mines, so I bought Toyota instead which has no chance of explosive destruction after 1 year of ownership.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Pictures speak louder than words...

[citation needed]

Otherwise, we can just assume you are extrapolating from "derp, I had a Seagate drive that failed once, and I remember a batch of bad drives from 2007".

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.jpg

----------

I've owned a LaCie external hard drive for over 6 years and it's still going strong.

And from that mountain of data, we can surmise Seagate drives are reliable?

----------

WHAT? LACIE IS OWNED BY SEAGATE?? UGH

A test by ZDNET for all the people who think seagate doesn't suck. Go to hardforum.com, where we build our pcs and use the hard drives, and people hate seagate.

http://www.zdnet.com/who-makes-the-best-disk-drives-7000025375/

The test was conducted by Backblaze. ZDNet wouldn't know investigative journalism if it bit them on the ass.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I'm just stating facts. I've posted 2 studies. Any computer hardware forum will have people complaining about Seagate. I've given more than just anecdotal evidence. For me, Seagate can't be trusted for anything other than a door stop or paper weight. The problem with Hitachi is that people weren't willing to pay the higher prices for quality and their profits suffered for it, hence why they got acquired. It's a shame that people trust their data to the lowest bidder. But hey, it's your data.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1195051/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1467860/

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Cool! haven't seen that manufacturer before.

Do you know if you can access your LTE data service while connected to the device by WiFi? That is a limitation on the hootoo , no LTE pass through.

Good Question. Note sure about that.

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Would the Fuel be realistic, at all, as a media server in a minivan? I like that it does not require a constant AC power source. OTOH, a HDD may not be the best choice for a moving vehicle...

(I just read about the iUSBport. It seems more appropriate.)

Last edited:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
It supports WebDAV and DLNA, any iOS app that supports WebDAV to get at files should be able to see it.

I use mine (the Seagate version) for photo backup and sharing when I travel, Photosync supports WebDAV and works great with the drive.

but not through the native music app? (say, for example you wanted to expand your music collection)

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Wow, Apple could easily do this natively with all devices obviously.

Would be cool to access all that stuff from ATV/iPad. But then I guess it would be just like a cheaper Mac Mini.

So maybe they should make TimeCapsule just like this.

Yep. I can't believe they haven't tied content together across their fragmented OS's. My iTunes library files sit on a Time Capsule. That Time capsule should be able to run an iTunes server to every Apple device on the network.

The way Apple currently does home library sharing is an ugly dysfunctional mess. Try explaining it to your grandmother and see.

trailway

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
Get a 1TB Seagate external hard drive and a RAVPower 5-in-1 filehub, and save some cash. Costs about $110 for the two together at Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.